Las Cruces/Southern NM riders

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by screwit, Feb 16, 2018.

1. duggram

duggram Happy to be Retired Supporter

Oddometer:
    On this post starts a series of posts listing 20 routes with tracks and descriptions used during the Rubber Chicken Ride out of Truth or Consequences, NM. It's a good time to ride the tracks east of the Rio Grand.
    Sledred and Branchbuster like this.
  2. ridenm

ridenm Missing my emotional support squirrel Supporter

Oddometer:
    The BLM Roswell office should have a map of the Haystack Mountain trail network. It's not terribly big by NM standards.

Gordy's Hill doesn't have a designated network, though there are single track trails, but it's mostly sand washes and roads; still fun if you are into that sort of riding.

There's also Hackberry Lake, BLM land northwest of Carlsbad, which has a designated trail network, but is also sandwash/hardpack/gravel desert terrain.

And Aden Hills is BLM land southwest of Las Cruces. No designated trails.

All except Haystack host desert races each year, so there's definitely that kind of riding available. Haystack hosts New Mexico Trials Association and other trials clubs, so you'll find single track used to create the event loops.

Depending on weather, there might even be parts of the Lincoln National Forest still open around Cloudcroft, but you never know with NM mountains in winter. You'll need a Motor Vehicle Use Map for any USFS land you want to visit. Check with the ranger district office for info and maps.
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  3. Rut Runner

Rut Runner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks duggram and ridenm for the info!

I'm still looking at the routes on the RCR ride. Would the Palomas Gap route be rideable now? What staging point would you recommend?

Mike
  4. duggram

duggram Happy to be Retired Supporter

Oddometer:
    Best to stay in T or C or Elephant Butte. The Rio Grand is low so you could cross at the Rotary park in T or C. Wind advisory Friday, possible rain for a couple of days but then it looks good after that. If you want someone to ride with let me know. I'm retired and always looks for rides
  5. riabma77

riabma77 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello, newbie to the forum and ADV riding.
    I just acquired my first bike (KLR) and I'm looking to meet people to ride and have some fun.
    I live in Ruidoso. Is anybody in the surroundings?
    Cheers!
  6. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    How'd all. Pennsylvania redneck in Texas the last couple weeks. But sick of pavement. So I'm heading to the Deming's area the end of next week. Hopefully I find some dirt to ride . Sure isn't any here in Texas
  7. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    Snake Oiler, The reason Texas does not have any good public dirt riding is because it was a separate country for a while before it joined the USA. During that time the land was claimed or owned by private citizens. When Texas was annexed there wasn't hardly any unaccounted for land for the Federal Government to claim/grab. So there is almost no BLM or US Forest Service managed property.
    Further west, like NM, AZ, CO, WY, MT, UT, NV ID, OR, WA, OR and CA, there was lots of land that no one had title to so the Fed's scooped it up and eventually called it National Forest, or Bureau of Land Management (BLM). It is great to have so much public owned land in NM. Lots and lots to ride! So much so take plenty of gas!
    Uke likes this.
  8. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    Thanks Capt. I can understand that, but are they so damn stingy with it ? I'm sure most wouldn't harm it at all and if anything might even help the land . What it is it is I guess. Makes me feel unwanted just like when I was married. Lol take my money and leave me high and thirsty.
  9. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    Texans, are somewhat stingy with the private land they took from Mexico, who took it from the Spaniards, who the Indians.

Out in NM the privately owned ranch land is usually only locked up if it is close to a major city. Once out in the boonies the gates are usually unlocked. The gate etiquette is; leave the gate as you found it, if open leave it open, if closed then re-close it. I try to pay attention to how it is fastened and duplicate it.

There are many county road which cross privately owned land. This means only the road is public, so be sure to stay on the road. Each state has different trespassing laws. New Mexico trespassing law are probably the most relaxed, say compared to Colorado, and further north.

The other type of land with restrictions are: Indian Reservations, Military bases, Wilderness Areas, and Missile Ranges... These are usually well marked.
    KrogothCore, Uke and Snake Oiler like this.
  10. vhortykho

vhortykho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm down in Las Cruces & pilot a sleepy, green KLR. I try to get a ride in every couple of weeks, at least.

How are you liking your new KLR so far?
  11. riabma77

riabma77 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's my first bike, so I don't have any reference. But I'm very happy so far! It's a '11 that I'm customizing to my taste.

If you don't mind to ride with somebody with training wheels, just let me know. I usually go to Cloudcroft. Last time it was some snow and mud. So, with inexperience guess what happened. LOL...

Sometime we go spend the weekend to Las Cruces, so I will let you know.
    KrogothCore and Snake Oiler like this.
  12. vhortykho

vhortykho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know the KLR workout regime all too well! I see Cloudcroft already has some snow. We'll have to lure you down to the desert so you can fall in sand. You know, for a change of pace.
    KrogothCore and Snake Oiler like this.
  13. dcwilcox

dcwilcox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, hope its ok to ask this here . . . I'm looking for some local intel on some roads/routes.

I'm putting together a Gila loop as part of a 1st week of April trip. I have a route (part of the CDR) that takes me up FR150 to NM59 to 159 (Bursum Rd). I'm wondering about the road conditions/rideability for CR22 (Loco Mountain Road) and 159 (Bursum Rd.) to get over to US180. I'm not a great off-road rider, so I'm looking to avoid anything particularly technical i.e. mud (of course), severe washouts, or overly rocky sections. TIA

dcw
    Branchbuster and Snake Oiler like this.
  14. Branchbuster

Branchbuster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bursum rd (159, FR28) has 2 gates across it of the bar type .The FS does not open these until May15th each year. You can get around the Eastern most one easily but the Westernmost one ( 2 miles east of Mogollon ghost town) has a bar across it with a cliff on one side and a sheer drop off on the other!!! You can get under it if you have a very light bike and lay it on it's side. I can tell you now as of today it is muddy cold, and rocky up on that Bursum Road. Does not meet your qualifications. What bike are you riding. Bursum rd. approaches the 9000 ft. mark by the peak above Moggollon....Might even be snow on the road up there. This is an unusually cold February down here. I would look at plan B or C.
  15. Branchbuster

Oddometer:
    dcwilcox, FR150 is very rocky at the 1/2 way point and a mtn road that approaches 8K ft. It may also have a running creek at Diamond Creek depending on the snow melt up there. Just so you know. It has it's technical aspects in places.
  16. Branchbuster

Oddometer:
    dcwilcox, if you have a map, note that there is gas at Winston, Alma and Reserve as you go NW. San Lorenzo has gas BEFORE you get on FR150. Stations get very scarce in upper Grant and Catron co. Hope this all helps. Not trying to scare you off, just want you to be prepared because it is a long way from nowhere up there , few people, and really cold nights.
    dirtydoug likes this.
  17. dcwilcox

dcwilcox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Much thanks Branchbuster! Just the info I was looking for . . . the fact that 159 will be closed at my trip dates is a deal killer.

I'm riding a fully loaded DR650. I checked out what I thought were suitable gas stops, but no matter if the road is closed.

I've ridden the 150 and 61 north out of Silver City previously with no issues, but it was almost 2 years ago and I know these roads can change a good bit over time.

Maybe that route up to 59 then east to 52 and over to TorC would work for this trip. Just looking to make some sort of loop in the Gila that includes some dirt before I head down to ELP.

Suggestions welcome!

dcw
  18. Branchbuster

Oddometer:

So perhaps Chloride Creek rd, Which is sometimes plowed would work for you back over to Chloride, Then East back to T/C, then S to EPTX.

Or, Go up 150FR to59 to 52 , N. to the VLA.... Then East on US60 to Socorro, S to EPTX.

Or, Go up FR150 (FR28, ) past Beaverhead heliport to NM435. Go North which comes into the S. side of Reserve. NE up 12 to US 60 through Magdalena and back to I-25.

A few options for April riding.... Then of course there are the Burro Mtns further West. So much terrain. So little time.I am in Deming so right on the West edge of LC riders territory but have ridden with a few of them. A Dr650 does fine up there.
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  19. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    All good information to store for future use
    dcwilcox likes this.
  20. Snake Oiler

Oddometer: