Lassen Back Country Discovery Route

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - West & PNW' started by R-dubb, Apr 13, 2006.

1. R-dubb

R-dubb Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

2. Xfool

Xfool Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In preparation for the trip we got hold of the Lassen USFS map and the forest map has the CBDT route highlighted on it. We “tuned up” the route based on the USFS map and will post a gps track of the actual route when we get back from our trip in July.
  3. R-dubb

R-dubb Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds great! Perhaps I should read the other thread to understand the details. Looks like the biggest change is to the route to the south side of Hwy36. Why did that part change from the published track? Did that group deviate from the official route?

I'm thinking about trying to ride the Lassen route over Memorial Day. Prolly run into a bunch of snow. We'll see...

Here's the area that changed

Attached Files:

4. Xfool

Xfool Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    R-Dubb
    The first attempt at creating the Lassen CBDT gps route that I made, the one you posted above, was based on the USFS discovery point locations given on their web site. The distance between discovery points is given, but not the route, so I had to guess various routes until the distances between discovery points were about right. With all the interconnecting dirt roads in the forest you can image there are many possible routes.

Anyway, we now have the official USFS Lassen forest map and the map has the CBDT route marked on it. The route I posted above, with the changes going into mineral on hwy 36, comes from following the forest service map and roads given on USGS topo maps. The revised gps route should be a pretty good guess at the actual CBDT route.

There are a whole bunch of roads through the Lassen and Modoc forest, probably from logging activity, and they may be more fun then the actual CBDT route. The side routes would be fun to explore but I expect you are likely to run into locked gates etc. on some of the potential side routes along the CBDT.

If you are going to do any part of the Modoc CBDT let us know how it turns out.
  5. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is what I found in working with various forests on the SMTS. What they propose was not acceptable. I try to use single track if it is available and where it is difficult I have "GS" bypasses. Anxious to explore the Modoc versions.
  6. Xfool

Xfool Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got back from my trip over the Lassen Forest CBDT route. The entire route follows major forest service “commuter like” dirt roads. An easy ride except that the route is mostly over gravel. Check out the trip report on advrider for pics.

The only tricks on the route are around mile 51 and mile 146 where the route turns off the major roads onto a couple of short side routes. The side routes are a big relief from the gravel roads so you don’t want to miss them.

The attached gpx file for the Lassen CBDT includes the route from Chester to the CBDT trail head above Yellow Creek and an 86 mile route from the end of the Lassen CBDT to the start of the Modoc CBDT.

Don’t have any topo maps with a large enough scale to cover the 190 mile Lassen CBDT route. Here is a satellite image from the nasa rapid fire web site with the Lassen CBDT route and a couple of surrounding highways put on by OziExplorer.

Good luck on the route!

[​IMG]