Last Chance Garage

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by LC Garage, Oct 12, 2018.

1. LC Garage

LC Garage On Any Sunday Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Starting a new thread that better represents the range of projects we've done in the past and continue to work on. The two previous LC Garage threads, "Beezer Madness" and "Vintage Dirt Racing on a 350 Honda Twin", were supposed to be focused on either BSA Unit Singles or 350 Honda Twins, but frequently strayed elsewhere. This thread will still have Beezers and 350 twin's but will cover all of our motorcycle and minibike shenanigans and even the occasional 4 wheeled project references (as long as the mods don't mind). Links to previous threads;

https://advrider.com/f/threads/vintage-dirt-racing-on-a-350-honda-twin.698196/

https://advrider.com/f/threads/beezer-madness.1155702/

Current project is a pretty beat down old '70 CL350 Scrambler one of my best buddies acquired on the cheap. He asked me to help get it running and I told him I would, as long as he didn't mind having it worked in as time allowed. We also talked about how perfect he wanted to make it, and he just wanted to clean it up and make ride-able, not restore it. In the pictures you'll still see some dirt and rust, this is after hours of cleaning and scrubbing. Once it's a runner and he takes it home, he said he'll continue the clean and shine process.

Projects waiting in the wings are LadyBugs DR200 (it doesn't run), an SL175 to be completely gone thru both mechanically and cosmetically, our Gambler CT200U minibike, my daughters SL100, the never ending saga of BSA's and anything going on in the Outta Sight Team world (Note: Outta Sight is the race team started by Oregon Coast and originally brought together thru ADV and riding an SL350 provided by Ladybug). Another project I'm involved in (from a distance) is my brother's '70 Kawasaki 175 Bushwacker F3. Oh yeah, there's also the 1929 Ford Model AA tractor aka Doodlebug. :lol3

Here is my buddy Scott with his scrambler, this was after we had pulled the seized forks apart and got them working again;
    [​IMG]

Another picture of Scott with his ABG (Always Be Gamblin') 63 Mercury;
    [​IMG]

Whoever had worked on the Scrambler in the past had taken the forks apart, lost a few pieces and then put them together in the wrong order. Once we had the forks dismantled and freed up, we put it back together just enough to keep it a roller while we ordered the missing pieces and worked on making it run.

Pulled the carbs apart and started by soaking them in carb dip, then multiple sessions in the ultrasonic cleaner with simple green.

In this picture, Scott's carbs (in the background) have already been cleaned and partially assembled and waiting for diaphragms while another set of carbs for a CB350 are getting the ultrasonic cleaner treatment. Scott stepped up for all new seals, gaskets, floats, jets and carb lids, while my friend with the CB350 carbs wanted to do it on the cheap. Mismatched carbs, beat up floats etcetera. Sigh;
    [​IMG]

Another picture of the mismatched CB350 carbs, being put together with some questionable pieces, I did take a few of the better parts from the CL350 carbs and used on these;
    [​IMG]

I'd successfully replaced diaphragms on a previous set of these CV carbs, but those replacement diaphragms had a thick rubber flange where the diaphragms Scott purchased were paper thin and tore when I tried to install them on the slides. A big thanks to TwinDuro who had a set of cherry used slides with diaphragms and donated to the cause. I'm sending the old slides and a new set of the paper thin diaphragms to TD, he's pretty crafty, maybe he'll have better luck installing them.

Here are the finished CL350 carbs, ready to go on the bike;
    [​IMG]

Carbs on bike with new throttle cables. All cables on this bike will be new;
    [​IMG]

Started on the ignition yesterday, took apart and checked, cleaned and lubed advance, then carefully installed and timed points. At this point we've already changed the oil, set the valve clearance (.002 intake, .004 exhaust), adjusted the cam chain and replaced condensers.

[​IMG]

Timed by disconnecting the points to harness, using a self powered test light and then adjusting front points (LH) gap @ .014, rotating points plate until the LF mark on stator just passes the stationary mark and light goes out as points open. Points plate is then tightened. Rear (RH) points are timed by gap only. Set the gap at .014, checked with the self powered test light and they were spot on as the F mark on stator just passed the stationary mark.

Scott cleaning up the exhaust, someone had put reflective tape on the tank, shocks and exhaust, he used the heat gun and plastic scraper to get rid of them;
    [​IMG]

Next step will be fuel tank & hoses, battery, mounting the exhaust and getting it started.

:D
  2. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Of course I will be watching this thread. There are always interesting things going on at the LC Garage. :clap
    LC Garage likes this.
  3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Old Idiot who still rides

Oddometer:
    Oboy ! .

Subscribed, I love old 1960's & 1970's Honda small bore Motos .
    LC Garage likes this.
  4. oregoncoast

oregoncoast Smells like Bacon

Oddometer:
    :lurk
    LC Garage likes this.
  5. Kootenai Rider

Kootenai Rider Gentleman of Liesure

Oddometer:
    I think there is a XL125 Hondar that's getting a tear down this winter there at the LC Garage or one of their satellite facilities, soon to be documented.
    LC Garage and Ladybug like this.
  6. OLD GREEN

OLD GREEN Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like the new digs LC. I've always thoroughly enjoyed the Beezer thread but also had a curiosity to all the other projects piling up in the background. This should be entertaining, I'll be sure to stop by again. :wave
    LC Garage likes this.
  7. kenny robert

kenny robert Long timer

Oddometer:
    good informative ignition settings methodology but the most important bit you left out.
    that making sure that at 4000rpm or so with a timing strobe light,making sure both cylinders are firing between the marks
    and it is good to have them firing in the same position between the marks
    what happens at idle is not important
    what matters is when going down the road and you cant really motivate below 4k rpm
    on a 350 twin
    if the full advance is not met performance will suffer
    too far with full advance and pistons get religion as in holiness
    also if a mysterious high idle starts happening and not always but intermittent
    it can often be traced to a lazy advancer
    stretched springs that wont hold retarded setting and allow some advance to hang in will cause a mystery high idle often mistaken as an air leak deal
    LC Garage likes this.
  8. Old Mule

Old Mule Long timer

Oddometer:
    Overland Missouri, home of 1950s sidecar tech.
    I miss the BSAs.
    FR700 and LC Garage like this.
  9. MortimerSickle

MortimerSickle Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
    I had once thought about getting a 441 Victor. But, then Honda finally came out with a 500 single, and I bought that instead.

I probably ended up with a better bike, but to this day I feel like I have a hole in my motorcycling history.

To me the BSA was a motorcycle, the Honda a high quality facsimile.
    LC Garage and Old Mule like this.
  10. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    The BSA 441 Victor is a classic and a race winning veteran. A guy I know that used to race them said that the 500 BSA (not talking about the Honda) finally came out with was not as good.
    LC Garage likes this.
  11. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Excellent commentary Kenny! Exactly what I'm shooting for is some back and forth, idea exchanges and all learning a bit together. Your approach with a timing light to ensure correct advance curve is spot on and something we would do quite naturally with any of our four wheeled rides and something I hadn't considered in this application. Thanks!
  12. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    The BSA's are still here, the plan is to keep the 1960 and sell the 1963. My general strategy with 2 and 4 wheeled machines is to find em, fix em, ride or drive them and when I no longer am going to use them sell em! Not planning right now (this is always changing though) to ride any more mx. The hours involved to keep up the mx properly vs amount of actual riding time just isn't what I want right now. I've gotten into the habit of spending all my time in the shop and not riding enough and i want to change that equation. In other British bike news, I'm seriously thinking about a fuel injected Triumph T100 Bonnevile for a road bike and specifically for the DGR ride next year.
    Ladybug likes this.
  13. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Just finished reading "BSA Competition History" by Norman Vanhouse (book was loaned to me by Niggles - thanks!) and the BSA Unit Single from 250 thru 441 was a fantastic machine, winning many many races and championships thru the years, the final 500 version in race trim was pretty fragile although very fast. Here a link to the book in case anyone is interested; https://www.amazon.com/BSA-Competition-History-Norman-Vanhouse/dp/1859604307
    Old Mule likes this.
  14. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    I thought the 350 twin took a lot of work to race, then I got the BSA's and found out how easy the Honda was by comparison.
  15. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Thanks Old Green! And you and anyone else are sure welcome to throw a pic or two and stories up here, if you want. Lets keep it interesting!
    FR700 likes this.
  16. MortimerSickle

MortimerSickle Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
    Yeah, I always figured the Honda was the more practical choice, but I still feel lacking for never having had a Brit bike.

OK, maybe all I am lacking is the memory of a string of problems, but think of the stories I might have. :D
  17. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  18. OLD GREEN

OLD GREEN Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's never too late Mort, you've still got a good head of hair that you could pull out. :lol3
  19. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Finished assembling the mismatched CB350 carbs, but not satisfied these will operate correctly, especially the earlier one. Later (mid) on left, early (68-ish) on right;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My biggest concern for the earlier carb operating correctly is the floats. Both carbs, as received had the later round style floats, but after watching this excellent video from Common Motor Collective, learned the early carb should have had a more rectangular set of floats which likely explains why the float level was so difficult to set on that carb. Here is a link to the Common Motor Collective video;

When reassembled, used the best two floats from both carbs, both floats that were rejected had fluid in them, the floats I used were submerged and showed no bubbles.

One area of concern is the idle screws, the new ones in the kit provided were threaded on the outside of the head and would not fit either carb, so cleaned and used old ones. Another concern are the float bowl seals, the provided ones are not shaped, and only big enough for the later carb but not big enough to fill the groove on the early carb. I'm giving them back without these installed and letting him hopefully find something better. And for some reason the new needle jet would not fit in the early carb, it would go in but not fully seat, it was visually the same as the old one but just would not go, so cleaned up the old one and reused it. There were a few other irregularities that make me think the kit provided is for the latest version of the CB350 carbs and these two are an early and mid version carbs.

I believe the bike these came off of might be a 1968, so will see if we can get the owner to match the earlier carb and get the proper kit and floats and do this right. :D
  20. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    LC Garage likes this.