Last Chance Garage

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by LC Garage, Oct 12, 2018.

1. LC Garage

LC Garage On Any Sunday Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did some family things today including a drive with Little Red, Teeny and Jax to Sumpter and Granite. We started to go from Granite to Anthony Lakes, but soon ran into deeper snow and had to turn around. Maybe next month. Also planning a ride following Skyline (Forest Service Road #11) along ridges from mountain to mountain, but locals tell me that road won't be clear until June or July.

Entrance to Granite, an old gold mining town that's still occupied;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got home, had lunch and headed out to shop, our goal was to get front tire mounted. Teeny wanted a bigger role so I tried to just step back and direct.

Pulling front wheel and tire;
    [​IMG]

I told her she could dismount the old tire, but I'd take the lead on mounting;
    [​IMG]

Mounting went really well, Teeny put tube in tire and pumped up slightly, I lubed up wheel and tire and mounted just with hands, no irons. Had Teeny pump it up with hand pump, teaching her old school;
    [​IMG]

Cleaned brake shoes, drum, axle, etc, lubed axle and reassembled;
    [​IMG]

Getting closer to a rideable machine every day;
    [​IMG]

The journey continues.

:D
  2. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Had a great ride today in the high desert. 115 mile loop, over half on two track. Rode with a group of retirees tired of sitting home. A Triumph Tiger, a 650 V Strom, a 1090 Adventure, a Honda 500X and my lowly DR650. Had a great ride. Pics to follow when I can "borrow" my laptop back from daughter. LOL
    Jungle Man and Ladybug like this.
  3. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Have lots of little projects going on and all waiting for parts. We'd ordered a Mustang Seat for the Bonneville America and it arrived so decided to work on mounting it.

The seat is for a Standard Bonneville, as we are also planning on changing to mid pegs and foot controls. I really hate having my feet out in front and want them in a more traditional location. Here are the two seats, stock on left and std Bonneville on right;
    [​IMG]

Also removed center locator pin as it interferes with new seat pan. Note the threaded boss in rear upper fender & also the forward seat mount frame lug just below rear of tank mount;
    [​IMG]

Decided to start at the rear mount as it would be pretty straight-forward and the front will be trickier to measure and require welding. Having the rear of the seat secure will make measuring the front more accurate.

Started by bending the rear mounting ears to be more parallel to the seat pan;
    [​IMG]

After making a few measurements, mocked up a cardboard bracket and actually used it to gently bolt seat on;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It fit pretty well and front of seat landed about where I wanted, so made an aluminum version of the mount;
    [​IMG]

It tuned out ok, will pretty it up a little more before final mounting;
    [​IMG]

Bracket bolted on and fasteners ground smooth for clearance. Will probable get some kind of rubber feet to glue on over the fasteners to ride against rear fender;
    [​IMG]

Test fit on bike;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's not a perfect fit for the frame contours, but we both really like how this seat feels in comparison to stock. Little Red said "besides, we can't see it when we're riding anyway".

Today will fab up a higher & more rearward mounting lug to hold the front seat mounting tab. When that is welded in place and with a few other refinements, should be ready to move on to foot pegs.

Jungle Man and mrsdnf like this.
  4. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Today began working on forward mount. Decided against welding, at least for now. Will use rear tank mount to secure forward seat mount and depending on how that works can always weld the new mount into place.

With rear seat mount bolted into place, relationship of forward seat tang to rear tank mount bolt can be seen;
    [​IMG]

!" mild steel square stock was a good fit over the seat tang;
    [​IMG]

Drawing proposed cuts, this was a process of trial and error;
    [​IMG]

1st round of cuts, shown with tank mounting bolt and sleeve;
    [​IMG]

Initial fit showed more trimming needed as well as bending the mounting tab;
    [​IMG]

Angled cut was good, but mounting tab was bent a bit too much;
    [​IMG]

Kept adjusting the bend in the mounting tab until it was close to flush with rear tank mount lug, then trimmed rear tank mount pad to make room for tab;
    [​IMG]

After several fittings decided to make a small relief cut at the rear edge of tank mount flange, then touched up that as well as painting the new mount sating black;
    [​IMG]

Glued 5/8" ID grommet (pads) around rear mounting bolts, also glued on a small thin pad at rear-most mounting point (not shown);
    [​IMG]

Also applied extra HD Velcro to seat and corresponding points on rear fender;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tomorrow will install seat after glued on pads have cured. Hoping for a good solid fit, but if not, we've now got a pretty good starting point.

Looking at Norman Hyde mid mount pegs and controls, anyone have experience with them?

Jungle Man likes this.
  5. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    The new seat fit great with just a couple more little tweaks. Rounded off the bolt head of the tank bolt so it would allow the underside of the seat snout to slide over more easily and also added some industrial tape with a slick outer surface for the same reason;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

As installed;
    [​IMG]

Feels pretty solid but the very nose of the seat tends to rock side to side. Have some ideas on how to cure that. Taking Little Red out for a ride tomorrow to see how we like it.

Ladybug and mrsdnf like this.
  6. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Possible new BBB ride for Little Red;
    [​IMG]

Ladybug likes this.
  7. Loudo

Loudo Pithy

Oddometer:
    I like the two-up configuration for livestock.
    LC Garage likes this.
  8. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Back to the SL100, time to work on making it run. Started with draining and flushing the gas tank. While doing this I remembered the underside of the tank (the tunnel) was still a kind of lime green and/or rusty. Flipped it over, gave it a quick cleaning and a dusting of red;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then moved on to check the ignition, started by pulling the plug, grounding it and kicking it over. Nothing;
    [​IMG]

Probably dirty points, right?
    [​IMG]

When I tried to clean the points they wouldn't open up enough to get my small points file between the contacts. That's weird. Took a closer look and the backside of the contact has a metal nub sticking down that is rubbing on the ignition lobe. So how did it run before? I know it ran, we have pictures of my daughter riding around our old property. But that was almost 9 years ago and I do remember rebuilding the carb and the points and plate look new, so maybe I got lucky when 1st installed and set them at some point they did not ground out?

Closer look at points and you can see the metal nub sticking downward towards the lobe;
    [​IMG]

I messaged Kootenai Rider and Jungle Man to see if they had an ignition to take a picture of on one of their SL100's, KR sent a pic of his and it clearly shows NO metal nub on the back of the points, so I'm thinking I just got an incorrect set 9 years ago.

Anyway, have points and condenser on order. Stay tuned! (pun intended!) :lol3
    Jungle Man likes this.
  9. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Then in the afternoon we took the Triumph for a ride and to test out the new seat. We decided to see if we could make it all the way to Anthony Lakes Ski Resort before hitting snow.

We made it;
    [​IMG]

It was a bit chilly at 7,000 feet but a nice ride. We stopped on the way back down at the Baker Valley Overlook and Little Red took my picture;
    [​IMG]

The seat worked well, it is very stable forward and aft but rocks a small amount side to side. Am pondering putting a plate on top of the frame under the forward section of the seat pan, with rubber bumpers to keep the seat flat. Other than that the Mustang seat was very comfortable and changed our riding positions to be more traditional as we had hoped. Next step is the mid mount pegs and foot controls.

10. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Brought home the '74 DT125 for Little Red. She was riding and gaining confidence about 5 years ago, but went to an off road instructor and ended up hurting her knee while training. Hopefully this bike will be luckier for her as she dips her toe in the two wheeled waters once again. Hoping to have her confidence up so that she'll feel like riding at the BBB and Noobs Too (aka the Beater Bike Bonanza). Paid $600 for bike, so we have a budget of $150 for parts.

The bike upon arrival;
    [​IMG]

And about an hour later;
    [​IMG]

Battery looks new and was only a little discharged, so it's on the tender. Carb is flooding over badly so will be rebuilt. Went to check plug and plug lead came off in my hand;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yep, she's running really rich;
    [​IMG]

Will pull carb apart tomorrow and then start ordering bits and pieces. Lots of little touch up and cosmetics, as well as a few missing bolts, etc. You know, the usual. Can't wait to paint that front fender!

FLGSARider, OLD GREEN and fxray like this.
  11. Jungle Man

Jungle Man I ride motorcycles sometimes.

Oddometer:
    I didn't get the message about the points for some reason. I'll get to it this weekend if needed
    LC Garage likes this.
  12. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    It's all good. Paul/Jr./KR sent pics of his points and plate and helped me to understand we had the correct plate but wrong points. Got correct points (and condenser) on their way.

Have been texting you, is your phone on the blink? Are you a Luddite like Jr. and Cory? Lol
  13. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    In the spirit of the LCG universe, unless we have a dozen projects going, we're just not happy. It's some kind of mental disorder I'm sure. LOL

I work best by list. That's been discussed before and I'm sure it's a holdover from my working career where I managed many projects simultaneously and started each day with a revised list of everything going on. It helped to keep my brain organized and a habit that continues. Today's list, and good luck reading it;
    [​IMG]

I also take great satisfaction crossing things off the list and writing new lists. Like I said, it's an illness.

Started the day working on the motor home bumper. As purchased our new to us 2001 Winnie Brave has a large board for a rear bumper. When we were looking at the Brave we luckily saw the original aluminum bumper (damaged) and asked to have it. It had been removed because the PO had hooked it on something and bent the end around, cracked and bent it and ripped one of the end caps off. Not sure if we're going to put it back on or something different, but taking a stab at seeing if it is fixable. on the press;
    [​IMG]

Notching the stretched and damaged portions so they have room to come back together;
    [​IMG]

Getting there, also worked the damaged areas with hammers and dollies to good effect;
    [​IMG]

Little Red is looking for end caps and I'm looking into local TIG welders. We'll see how it goes.

On to more DT125 fun. Pulled the carb;
    [​IMG]

Note the kit from the factory tool box. Only a ratchet and plug wrench. The spark plug is also a B7ES, one range hotter than standard B8ES. So we've got a bike that runs rich, has a fouled plug, a plug wrench, a hot plug and the carb is black, like maybe from an MX or YZ?? More research to do;
    [​IMG]

Pretty nasty looking inside, maybe we'll just get a new carb;
    [​IMG]

Decided to try cleaning up the God awful looking front fender;
    [​IMG]

After a lot of sanding, was making very little progress on paint removal. Not sure what the black paint was, maybe something that had been catalyzed?
    [​IMG]

So then made the bold move of wiping the old paint off with lacquer thinner and it softened it but would not remove it;
    [​IMG]

Spent more time sanding, finally decided to prime it with a couple coats, then try re-sanding it when it's cured. At some point will paint it and live with the results, after all this is a Beater Bike Bonanza entry;
    [​IMG]

Then on to the fuel tank OHV sticker removal. I found it hard to believe someone would paste a sticker onto the side of a pretty little tank like that. Got the heat gun out and went to work. Before;
    [​IMG]

Look what I found;
    [​IMG]

There were a couple more under that one, but too stuck together to separate. I'm guessing they went all the way back until it was new. After getting most of it off;
    [​IMG]

All cleaned up using acetone and then other milder cleaners;
    [​IMG]

And on we go...

Jungle Man, DRZ RIDER and Ladybug like this.
  14. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    More social distancing with my riding partner Keith. He's lived in the area for 40 years and is an avid dual-sporter and knows the area like the back of his hand. I'm really lucky to have met this guy and get to ride with him.

Today's ride was primarily in the foothills in East Baker Valley near the Eagle Caps. Once again we ran into snow, no surprise;
    [​IMG]

One of the reasons we were on this ride, was to scout potential camp sites for the coming summer. Just below where we turned around, we found this neat spot;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From here we moved on to the old highway towards Union. We stopped to check out an ice cave near the Catherine Creek Summit. Here Keith starts up the trail towards the cave with me in hot pursuit;
    [​IMG]

Looking upward from near the cave. I'm really out of shape and need to get back to the gym. I was huffing and puffing on this relatively short climb;
    [​IMG]

Keith at the cave entrance;
    [​IMG]

And looking down into the cave;
    [​IMG]

You could feel the blast of cold coming out of the cave, that is a sheet of ice toward the bottom right;
    [​IMG]

This curious object was at the left of the cave entrance. The only thing I could think of was a Geo Cache?? We were too chicken to open it. Maybe Lady Bug will know?
    [​IMG]

Jungle Man likes this.
  15. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Looks like a geocache to me. If you can give me the GPS coord to where this is or the closest crossroad I'll look it up.
  16. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Awesome, will do!
  17. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Emailed these to you. :D
    Ladybug likes this.
  18. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Our little tribe (who are only socializing with each other, close family) decided to take a 4 wheel trip into the Elkhorns to see an old cabin that is on family property. The road to the cabin is very primitive (steep, switchbacks and very rocky) and was a good test for our new to us 2016 F150, that we were forced to buy when our old '99 F150 blew a spark plug out of the head while on a trip. On some sections we were in 4 wheel, low range with rear differential locked.

The cabin was built by one man, all by hand in the late 70's. He was a college professor who was fed up with city life and decided to live off grid. When at it's full glory, he even had a baby grand piano on the second story! The very highest point, a kind of crows nest, has fold down sides and he used to sleep up there in the summer! It is accessed by two different extension ladders that are still there. From what we are told, the last time anyone climbed up there was 11 years ago. He also had a heated green house, wood fired hot tub, drip irrigation for terraced gardens and a hand dug cave, used as a root cellar. There is even an outhouse with a spectacular view. He lived here, year round, for 20 years.

[​IMG]

The family is working to preserve the cabin, but it is a slow process to get materials up to it. Imagine the effort to build it in the first place.

The view from one of the switchbacks as we descended;
    [​IMG]

spo123, fxray, Ladybug and 1 other person like this.
  19. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Yep, it was a geocache. :thumb

That cabin is pretty cool looking.
  20. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Started the day with more shop organization, including putting up yard tool hangers in the new motor home shed and getting more yard related stuff OUT of the shop. Win-Win! :clap

After lunch, got back on the DT125A. First to sand and re-prime front fender. On Friday I'd given it 2 coats of sandable primer, today I sanded it down and another heavy coat of primer, and it's looking better. After sanding;
    [​IMG]

And re-priming;
    [​IMG]

After the next sanding, should be ready for the finish coat and be far more presentable than what we started with.

Then on to tidying up the chassis & wiring and putting the battery back in. In this picture you can see that in addition to charging the battery, I've added a trickle charge connector. Also found a coil lead boot that fit nicely;
    [​IMG]

The electric starter is now working, Little Red seems pleased. I did check for spark and it is a nice white-ish blue.

Put fuel tank and oil tank back on, fender will be next, probably on Tuesday or Wednesday. Then it's just a waiting game for the carb to arrive.
    [​IMG]

Baroquenride likes this.