Last Chance Garage

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by LC Garage, Oct 12, 2018.

1. LC Garage

LC Garage On Any Sunday Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Started the day doing yard work at the daughter's new rental, then came home and did more yard work. Did manage to squeeze in a little time for the DT125A, wet sanding the front fender with 320 grit, looking better;
    [​IMG]

And then finished painting;
    [​IMG]

:D
    Jungle Man likes this.
  2. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Front fender remounted on the DT125A;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyone know who made this pipe? Haven't found any manufacturers markings on it (yet). Thanks for any info!

While there are lots of small things left to do on this bike, the carb is the main thing we are waiting for. Little Red specifically asked me not to make it too pretty as she fears she'll worry about scratching it up.

OLD GREEN, Baroquenride and fxray like this.
  3. Loudo

Loudo Pithy

Oddometer:
    I suggest you explain that you're just protecting it from the elements and can't help it if it turns out pretty besides.
    LC Garage likes this.
  4. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Took the family for a little road trip to Sumpter today. Took some pictures of a very dilapidated old gas station and sent them to my brother Chuck. Chuck is fascinated with the old Shell station we worked at together in high school, so I told him we should buy this place and rebuild it, just for fun. Guess what, he liked the idea!

Here it is;
    [​IMG]

On the way home, we took a detour on Black Mountain Road as we heard that was one of the ways to reach Skyline road. The road was pretty nice, better than expected and six miles later we were at the intersection of Back Mountain Road and Skyline Road. In this picture we are on Skyline. The pickup is just emerging from Black Mountain Road on the right;
    [​IMG]

From the intersection looking back the way we came.
    [​IMG]

I'll be coming back up with the DR650 to ride Skyline as far as possible in both directions. I'm told it basically follows the high ridges from mountain to mountain in this area.

Jungle Man, DRZ RIDER and fxray like this.
  5. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Finally got the points and condenser for the SL100;
    [​IMG]

I set the points gap at .013, then using the audible continuity setting, got the points to open precisely at the F mark on the flywheel;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still waiting for the headlight to arrive, then can button up all wiring and put tank and seat on semi-permanently.

DRZ RIDER and mrsdnf like this.
  6. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    SL100; worked on the taillight wiring a bit, figured out which green wire does what, assumed (but tested first) that blue was ground (it is) and connected to common ground on air box. When wiring also included a second female bullet port in case it's needed for the headlight wiring;
    [​IMG]

Ordered a rear brake light switch and once that arrives and the headlight, can wrap up the wiring.

Tidied up the wiring under the fuel tank, slipped the tank on, hooked up the fuel line and filter and attempted first start in at least 8 years. Fired up on 3rd kick. Yee haw! Ran pretty good and idled but seemed a bit rich in mid range. Will need to look at jet sizes but may just lower needle one notch. Otherwise sounded pretty good.

fxray and mrsdnf like this.
  7. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Some looking around on the Interweb tells me the DT125A pipe might be a Torque Engineering "Whispering Smith", but the original silencer has been replaced by an FMF. I'll continue to look for any ID stampings...
    Jungle Man likes this.
  8. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Quad adventures yesterday with Little Red, Vince and Jax the Wonderdog. This group plus daughter Teeny make up our quarantine tribe. Vince led us out into the foothills of the Elkhorns to look for Morel mushrooms and also did a little sight seeing to the abandoned Rock Creek power reservoir/pond.

After we finished our mushroom hunting, Vince led us on a rough old road/trail to the pond. At the time I did not realize we were on a loop and the road back down was actually quite good.

https://www.bakercityherald.com/new...cle_b1e98bc2-dbea-11e9-9b43-ff21afb7a22f.html

https://www.oregongenealogy.com/baker/rockcreek/rockcreekpowerplant.htm

Vince on top of the pond berm, the rest of us are down in the dried out pond;
    [​IMG]

The dried out pond, in the background are remnants of the flume that delivered water to the pond and some of the pipe that delivered water to the power house below;
    [​IMG]

Water exited the pond here and then via steel piping connected to power house below;
    [​IMG]

Flume tenders cabin, the main road to the cabin is on right and descends thru the gap in the trees;
    [​IMG]

When Vince was a teenager he briefly dated the flume tenders daughter who grew up here, she said her family used a Ford Model A to drive this road back and forth to Haines, a small town about 8 miles away. The road is still in decent condition and in it's heyday the Model A probably had no trouble with this road, except maybe during ice and snow.

On our way to the pond, Vince is showing us the surrounding mountains and where he has done work putting in roads;
    [​IMG]

Where Vince is pointing;
    [​IMG]

Me and my social distancing buddy Jax, he's a good little co-pilot. He's harnessed and tied in front to the handlebars and in back to me, and stands or sits on a heavy rubber pad, but some sections were kind of rough and he got jostled around a lot. We're going to put a padded box on the back of the quad where he'll be safer and more comfortable, and I can keep both hands on the controls;
    [​IMG]

It was a fun day and the first time Little Red and I looked for Morel mushrooms. Looking forward to more of these outings.

Jungle Man, mrsdnf, fxray and 2 others like this.
  9. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    Cool pics and history! Looks like a place I'd love to visit too!
    LC Garage likes this.
  10. Loudo

Loudo Pithy

Oddometer:
    You're pretty cagey about whether you found any mushrooms.
    LC Garage likes this.
  11. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    We found about a dozen, with an avg length of 1.5" so barely enough to eat. It was our first time and we learned a lot, should do better next time. :doh
    Loudo likes this.
  12. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Daughter Teeny came over today to work on SL100 and go for her first ride in over 8 years. Because I felt the bike was idling well and revving out ok but rich in the mid range, decided to drop the needle one notch. We rolled it outside, fired it up (sounded great) and before riding she asked me to go over the gears with her. I pulled in the clutch stuck it in gear and it died. I had not checked that the clutch was free and it was stuck, really stuck. Doh!

Tried all the little tricks I know and nothing worked. Bump started, shifted up a few gears, held the throttle open and locked down on the brakes, hoping it would break free but no go. Brought it back in the shop and pulled it apart;
    [​IMG]

The plates were pretty crusty;
    [​IMG]

Teeny cleaning the plates on the LCG wire wheel ultra buffer;
    [​IMG]

Then we reassembled, Teeny caught the old man in his natural habitat;
    [​IMG]

When completed, the clutch released like hot butter. Teeny fired it up and went for a ride. Next week we'll go out to the Virtue Flat OHV for some riding and to lay out our Gambler 100 Enduro Quarantine Course for May 16th.

After her test ride;
    [​IMG]

A few things left; side number plates, headlight and front plate, brake light switch and a bit of wiring, but it is ride-able.

Honda-50, Loudo, Baroquenride and 2 others like this.
  13. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Side number plates on;
    [​IMG]

We noticed a carb leak yesterday, first tried tightening the drain plug, it was a bit loose but not the problem. Today I thought maybe it was too high a float level or something simple as I was having a hard time seeing the leak, it was like the carb was weeping around the float bowl. Took off bowl, checked gasket, cleaned and inspected drain plug and replaced o'ring on that, and checked float level. Put it back together and it still leaked.

Then I saw it, the right side of the float bowl was weeping THRU the casting, you can see what looks like a tear drop to the right of the float bowl bail;
    [​IMG]

Found the original carb, checked the bowl and it was nearly identical;
    [​IMG]

Swapped the bowl and now it's nice and dry.

The "Barn Fresh" on the front fender had gotten pretty faded over the last 9 years since Loud Al wrote it on there, so carefully retraced it with a new sharpie. The license plate started out on Teeny's tricycle when she was two years old (26 years ago), it's been on all her bicycles, mini bikes and motorcycles. Her trike came from Good Will and was a fix up project, and it was red. At least we're consistent;
    [​IMG]

Tomorrow going on a dual sport ride with Keith, may end up on Skyline. Wednesday will be finishing up the minis and on Thursday going out to the Virtue Flat OHV to lay out the "Gambler 100 Enduro Safe Distancing Virtual Race Course" for May 16th and practice a little.

Jungle Man, Honda-50, fxray and 2 others like this.
  14. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Had a grand adventure today with Keith and Mike, 115 miles of mostly dirt and gravel, with a wee bit of enthusiastic road riding on full knobbys. A full day!

First we went to Skyline Road, via the SE side of Phillips Reservoir and Black Mountain Road, then followed Skyline toward Larch Mountain (near Sumpter) before a fallen tree stopped us. We back tracked to the road leading to the SW end of Phillips Reservoir and ended up on Highway 7 just long enough to get us to the ghost town of Whitney. We then traveled to Unity, on thru Hereford, then a spirited ride up to the Summit of Dooley Mountain. From there we got back on Skyline for a short bit and turned onto the old original Dooley Mountain road called Trail Creek and descended. When we reached the bottom we were near Highway 7 again and rode a short ways back into Baker City.

https://www.oregongenealogy.com/baker/historybc/dooley_mountain.htm

On Skyline, a few miles from the Black Mountain intersection (Mike on left, Keith on right);
    [​IMG]

We continued on Skyline for about 7 more miles until this tree stopped us;
    [​IMG]

We decided to take a lunch break here, then turned around and headed back to the SW Phillips Reservoir road we'd passed a few miles back. While we might have gotten around the tree, we were also starting to hit big patches of snow and were still climbing.

Lunch break;
    [​IMG]

Stopping at Whitney to read the sign;
    [​IMG]

Abandoned Ranger Station near Whitney;
    [​IMG]

On top of Dooley Mountain looking West on Skyline, when we were here about a month ago the snow drift was about 3 feet deep;
    [​IMG]

Going East on Skyline, we went up this trail that eventually dropped over and into the next valley and back to Highway 7;
    [​IMG]

After taking this picture, the DR650 wouldn't turn over with the electric starter, so I tried bump starting it going back downhill West on Skyline. No go. I finally realized I'd accidentally pushed the kill switch and it had stuck in. :doh After restarting I shot up the hill and at the summit the guys were waiting. We then wound our way to the bottom and finally on to home.

A great day with two guys who are always ready to keep exploring. Social Distancing at it's finest.

15. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Back to mini bike prep for the Gambler/Corona 100 Enduro, that although cancelled as a live event, participants have been encouraged to find a safely distant area and ride either 100 miles or 100 minutes. Also, if any funds are raised via sponsors, to donate those to Food Bank.

We left off a couple weeks ago on the MB200-2 that was missing a master link. It took 3 tries to get the correct link but we finally succeeded;
    [​IMG]

Sorry about the poor photo quality, I think the camera is dirty. The ink is a 420 NZ3 for super non o'ring chain.

After installing the chain link, carefully adjusted chain to be just slightly tight as it will get stretched a bit tomorrow and then readjusted. Also lubed the chains on both minis.

Next up was installing the HD TC Tav30 drive belts. Teeny stopped by to lend a hand;
    [​IMG]

Removing center bolt;
    [​IMG]

Once the center bolt is removed, pull outer clutch pieces, then belt, reinstall belt and clutch, use Loctite blue on bolt and install. Checked torque spec on bolt, found two different Tav30 specs,one said 20 ft lbs, the other said 24 to 30 ft lbs. I'm pretty sure if you went 24 to 30 you'd snap the wimpy little bolt, the best I could get before I chickened out was 15 ft lbs;
    [​IMG]

Did the same operation on the CT200U, the center bolt is even smaller, just 6mm, and I could only get to 7 ft lbs on that. Double checked with a box end wrench and it felt quite tight and also used Loctite.

Finished up by installing Iridium plugs in both minis, oiling air filters, cotter-pinning several bolts that were pre-drilled on the MB200-2 and checking and securing cable routing;
    [​IMG]

Ready for test and tune and track layout tomorrow;
    [​IMG]

And just for laughs here are our attempts to video the belt removal and installation. Teeny does have her own YouTube channel and is experienced at this, I am not. There are 4 short videos, two of Teeny and two of me. The first one for each of us was a fail but are included just for fun.

https://lastchancegarage.smugmug.com/ADV-LCG/i-FwzV7HL/A

https://lastchancegarage.smugmug.com/ADV-LCG/i-s98jZZK/A

https://lastchancegarage.smugmug.com/ADV-LCG/i-PKgmsFw/A

https://lastchancegarage.smugmug.com/ADV-LCG/i-G4bqTxF/A

Loudo, Baroquenride and mrsdnf like this.
  16. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Great day today at our local OHV, prepping for the May 16th Corona 100. With a lot of help from our nephew Josh who has ridden the Virtue Flat OHV many times, we tried several variations and finally came up with a 4.0 mile course. This course is dusty, rocky, rutted and has uphills, downhills and a nasty set of whoops along a ridge we've dubbed "Dragon's Back". The morning of the enduro, we'll flag the main turns and plan to start at 10 AM. We've also decided to go 100 miles or 25 laps.

Great nephew Orrin on left and Teeny on right;
    [​IMG]

Little Red and Jax. Jax seems to like the new arrangement on the quad;
    [​IMG]

Nephew Josh, he's riding the TTR250 we resurrected a few months ago;
    [​IMG]

Because Teeny and Orrin were riding the two minis, I rode Teeny's SL100 we've been working on. It was darn near flawless as I flogged it unmercifully trying to keep up with Josh, I bottomed out both ends repeatedly, the only problem was the jetting still feels pretty fat. Here is the little workhorse;
    [​IMG]

Little machines back home, they all worked well, we had no problems or failures. Teeny did dump the old CT200U a couple of times, once on an uphill she did an endo (behind me) and Josh said she was doing a handstand on the bars but never let off the gas! She had a few scrapes but otherwise ok. Dad is proud! The MB200-2 (ridden by Orrin) never fell, kept up all day and came home without a scratch;
    [​IMG]

Next up is to clean them up, go over all nuts and bolts, air cleaners, adjust and lube chains, check belts, etcetera. Looking forward to the enduro!

17. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    What? Orrin didn't scratch the new mini? Are you leaving the first scratch for me to do? :lol3

I love seeing family outings like this?

I lost track, is Lit'l Red's bike running and ready to ride next weekend?
    LC Garage likes this.
  18. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Little Red's DT125A is waiting for a new carb. Otherwise ready.

Your new mini is pretty nice. Full suspension is really plush.

When Teeny endoed, it was because her rear tire dropped into a deep rut and then sharply rebounded. Your mini won't do that.

Ladybug likes this.
  19. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    The DT125A carb arrived yesterday, pulled it apart to check float level and general condition;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Everything looked good inside, blew out the passages, checked float level and then back together. Only problem was the throttle cable ferrule was too big, so swapped the larger fitting from the old carb;
    [​IMG]

Finished up this morning, took it for a little ride before installing the air-box and it ran like a dream. Came home, installed air-box, tidied up some wiring and replaced a faulty taillight bulb;
    [​IMG]

And then took this video. By the way, the electric start works really well;
    https://lastchancegarage.smugmug.com/ADV-LCG/i-CV7pbc3/A

Sorry the video is sideways, just learning!

It has a few small needs like making the horn work, straightening the taillight, fork seals and a good detailing, but otherwise a great little bike.

ADK and OLD GREEN like this.
  20. OLD GREEN

OLD GREEN Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That little bike was a score! I've always wondered why in that era of Yamaha DT series that the 125 was the only one with the electric start? They really are neat bikes.
    LC Garage and msahern5 like this.