Last Chance Garage

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by LC Garage, Oct 12, 2018.

1. OLD GREEN

OLD GREEN Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Rick, Where did you source the new carb for the DT125? Is it new? The reason I ask is that my sister in law has this sweet little sparkly orange one that needs carb work. My brother said he was having trouble finding parts for it. Sure would be nice if it could consistently start up and idle at the push of a button like Little Red's.

imagejpeg_0.jpg

It's a little crusty because they just pulled it out of the shed, but the last time she rode it was all cleaned up real nice. It was at their wedding about 7 years ago. :lol3

IMG_3597.jpeg
  2. LC Garage

LC Garage On Any Sunday Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here is what I ordered;
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carburetor...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648

Not only is the bike cool, the wedding picture is just amazing, thanks for sharing!
  3. OLD GREEN

OLD GREEN Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Many thanks! I just passed the info to my bro, hopefully they'll be up and running soon.
    LC Garage likes this.
  4. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Corona 100 Mini Bike Enduro report. This would have been our third year running the Gambler 100 mile enduro in Prineville, but due to the virus it was cancelled. The Gamblers suggested we all find somewhere to ride and do 100 miles or 100 minutes, and they also renamed it the Corona 100. I love how they think!

In addition to my report, Sherry (Lady Bug) also did an excellent report with pictures on Facebook, here is the link to that;
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set?set=a.3276716469025630&type=3

The three teams were a mix of close friends and family members. On Friday the out of town contingent arrived to camp and prep for the race; Jesse (Jungle Man), Paul (Kootenai Rider), Sherry (Lady Bug), Rod (my son) and Jose. Rod and Jose are Ultra Runners and also occasional riders. They rode with our first mini bike team in 2018.

Team LB98/AARP on the Trailmaster MB200-2 was Lady Bug, myself and my 13 year old great nephew Orrin. What a Godsend Orrin turned out to be! He ended up riding 52 of our teams 100 miles at an average of 10 minutes per lap, very close to what the race winners averaged. By my calculations, 4 miles in 10 minutes equals 24 miles an hour. On a mini bike. On a rocky desert course. :clap

Team T98/Vantucky was daughter Teeny, son Rod and friend Jose on the venerable Coleman CT200U.

Team 6/Deep 6 was Jesse (Jungle Man) and Paul (Kootenai Rider) on a Monster.

Friday afternoon we got our gear, fuel, spares sorted out and also did a bit of final work on bikes; checking and lubing chains, cleaning air filters, etc. The Coleman seat mount had cracked again so that was quickly repaired. Teeny cut away the tie wraps holding hoses in that area and I used a piece of tin to shield the seat while I did a quick mig weld;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

On Friday night we had spaghetti, salad and bread all provided by Little Red, niece Jacque (Orrins Mom) and Sue (Orrins grandma), we then hung out by the fire-pit and BS'd for a while;
    [​IMG]

The little guy is Jose and Rod's mascot Little Steve. Apparently ultra runners have a wacky sense of humor. They take Little Steve to running events and place him in random locations to see how people will react. They said it can be pretty funny.

Saturday morning we were up early and headed to Virtue Flat OHV just before 8 AM. Here is a pic Sherry took from one area of the course. The pit area, start/finish is on the other side of the hill;
    [​IMG]

Nephew Josh was riding my DR650 and going over the course he had previously laid out, planting course markers and flags. Once he had the course marked, he took 4 mini riders out on the course for a pre-run. We were able to send out 4 riders because Jesse had brought his old home made mini as a back-up. As you'll see, later in the day this turned out to be a good decision. I then took the last 3 riders out for a pre-run, then we topped off the fuel and got ready for the Lemans start. But first there were some photo ops;
    [​IMG]
    From left to right; Rod, Jose, Jesse and Paul

Lining up for the Lemans start, nephew Josh used an actual starters gun to start the race, it was pretty awesome;
    [​IMG]
    From left to right; me, Rod and Paul.

The youngsters beat the old guy to the bikes, but I still got the hole shot;
    [​IMG]
    Teeny catching some video, she is going to put together a video/pic mix of the race.

Paul quickly caught and passed me and Rod was delayed about 15 seconds trying to start the CT200U. I hung onto Paul the best I could but could not catch him. Paul and Jesse blistered the course all day. Here is the first exchange after Paul and I rode a very rapid first three laps, Jesse has already left and Orrin is taking off;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is Teeny coming by on one of her laps, she did a great job all day and rode the most laps of her team;
    [​IMG]

Early on Jose and Rod both had hard crashes, Jose had a really bad leg contusion and Rod burned his upper arm on the exhaust. Orrin (on LB98) had been brought back to the pits with a dead engine, we thought it was a bad spark plug and lost 22 minutes that we would never make up. It stopped a couple more times, we eventually decided it must have had a piece of debris floating around in the bowl that would randomly cause it to stop.

Here Rod has just come into the pits, Christine is fueling the bike and Jose is getting ready for his turn. In the background Jesse and I are just starting to look at the Monster that Paul has brought into the pits with an exploded jack-shaft bearing. The group decision was to let them continue on the backup mini while we tried to fix the Monster. We got the Monster apart but did not have the correct bearing. Team Deep 6 would finish in heroic fashion on the backup;
    [​IMG]

Carnage;
    [​IMG]

Here Paul jumps on the backup bike, still holding a 2.5 lap lead. This bike was the only bike with ZERO suspension;
    [​IMG]

As the laps wound down, at mile 72 Teeny felt something go haywire with the handling on T98, it turned out to be a broken frame, so she pushed it back to the pits;
    [​IMG]
    This was the 3rd 100 mile enduro for the CT200U. An amazing and durable little machine. It will be fixed!

That left two teams and Deep 6 still had a commanding lead, and Jesse was about to take the last lap for the checkers. We had nothing left to go for but pride. Jesse was taking the bike from Paul and I was going to take off right behind him. I was slow to get on and Jesse had about a 150 foot lead when we got going. I wanted to pass Jesse before the finish but could not believe how hard he was riding that bike with ZERO suspension while I was on a bike with full suspension. Little did I know his frame had broke (lower down tube) and he was dragging the skid plate. Here he is leaving the pit on the final lap;
    [​IMG]

What a ride he was on, we were on the final straight away that has some pretty nasty bumps and 100 yards from the checkered flag he took a hard jolt that broke the upper frame tube. I had a front row seat as there was an explosion of dust, all I could see was the front fender flipping through the air, and Jesse rolling across the ground. It was a very hard crash and I was relieved to see him stand up. I stopped, asked if he was ok, he said yes, then I looked at what was left of his bike. It was folded in the middle and looked pretty bad. The only thing holding the front and rear of the bike together were the cables and fuel tank. I said "You gotta get to the finish" then roared away.

Determined to finish, he used the throttle to help propel it, and was dragging it to the finish. Paul ran to help and together they dragged it across the finish line, so awesome! Here are some pics of that sequence;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Taking the checkers from Little Red;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is why I race. Jesse was setting an amazing pace on a broken bike. For the event, out of 25 laps, Paul had 6 9 minute laps and Jesse had 5. I think he was on pace for a 9 minute lap on that broken pile of junk until it broke in half. Wow.

I handed off our mini to Orrin to finish the last couple of laps. He took off through the broken bikes;
    [​IMG]

We decided to make a finish line with the two broken framed bikes facing each and the finish tape stretched between. Here is Orrin getting the checkered flag from Little Red and Lady Bug at the finish;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sherry and I enjoy a moment with our little hero;
    [​IMG]

Despite the mechanical carnage and several bumps and bruises, we had a really fun weekend and enough stories to last until the next event. Everyone pitched in to make this happen and thanks to Little Red, Jacque and Josh (course layout), Vince (course clean up), Sue (chocolate chip cookies), Terry (Orrins other grandma, sandwiches) and the teams who traveled from near and far. Good times!

:D
  5. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    And a belated but HUGE thanks to Lady Bug for providing the Trailmaster for team LB98 to ride. As always we had a great time and she valiantly rode her share of laps on that rough track. :clap
  6. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Terrific report. Thanks for the weekend, I had so much fun. I just got home a few hours ago and reliving Saturday is so much fun. :clap

Thanks to Little Red for feeding us and being the great person she is and letting us turn your yard into a campground. And another thanks to Orrin and his parents and grandparents for being a big part of the fun. You have a wonderful family.
    LC Garage likes this.
  7. Loudo

Loudo Pithy

Oddometer:
    Great report, thanks for taking the time and effort to document it. It's an underrated skill to have a great time and remember to take lots of pics especially in the heat of battle, props to you.

Speaking for the WA vintage roadracing community, this is exactly the leitmotif we attempt to enact every round. The modern bike guys are puzzled at what we think is fun. You can tell by their creased foreheads.

I don't think those minibike frames were engineered to withstand the duty cycle of an offroad endurance race. Which is why it's fun!
    Ladybug and LC Garage like this.
  8. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    For those of you following the thread "Triple B and nOObs Too", the Rebel project came to a grinding halt yesterday. Here is the last post on that;
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/trip...-20-thru-6-28-20.1413233/page-6#post-40100478

In other news this week, made a run to Dixie (little town north of Walla Walla) to help my childhood friend Bill with his Duster 340 project. Bill is having some health issues and cannot crawl on the ground under his car, so needed help with a motor mount issue. Bill is the buddy that also had a Honda Sport 90 that we rode together to Lapine from Scappoose on back in 1970. Here is a picture of us at Bill's family cabin in Lapine (he's the big guy on the left);
    [​IMG]

Bill started with an old slant six Duster and put in a warmed up 340 and 4-speed, but was having vibration problems caused by ill fitting motor mounts. Bill is a "go big or go home" kind of guy (he drag races a Dodge Coronet with 426 Hemi) and his solution was an aftermarket 340 sub frame (aka K-member) but was having trouble getting the motor mounts to fit.

Here's a shot of the engine bay as we worked on it;
    [​IMG]

Our first attempt using Napa 318 mounts and the upper block ears was promising, but the mount stud to cross member spread was too wide;
    [​IMG]

We then moved the mounts down to the lower block ears and everything lined up properly with just a bit of trimming on the mounts. We had the mounts on and off a couple times and were eventually satisfied with their fit. The 318 mounts will be ok for street cruising, but if he decides to race it, will need upgraded. Bill has just a few details to take care of and this car can hit the streets.

Jungle Man and Ozarkroadrunner like this.
  9. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    No pictures today, but a good story;

This afternoon I went over to my nephew Josh's ranch to help my great nephew Orrin work on his lawn mower turned racer. He had swapped motors from his previous chassis because he had somehow broken the pinion completely off the rear end. He had the engine remounted in a different chassis he'd found, but the wiring was quite a mess. We stripped the harness of all extra/unneeded stuff, cleaned up a few different things and got rid of all the mower mounting and lifting mechanisms and were ready to start. We'd verified spark in testing and we had fuel, but it spun over like it had zero compression. Every once in a while it would belch flame from the carburetor. I said "this engine ran ok before you broke the rear end?" he said "oh yes Uncle Rick".

Hmmm...., I was skeptical. I pulled the plug, stuck my finger over the hole and spun it over, it kind of sucked and pushed a little on my finger. I told him it seemed like maybe we had a burned valve and/or no compression. We pulled the head off and what did my wondering eyes see, a WING NUT lodged in the intake valve! A wing nut must have fell into the intake during the engine swap and had been sucked into the valve, holding it open. Thankfully only the wing made it through, if the entire nut had gone thru the motor would have been destroyed.

We lifted the valve, extracted the nut, put the head back on and it ran perfect. I told Orrin his new nick name was LUCKY!

:lol3
  10. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Wow! Lucky is for sure.
    LC Garage likes this.
  11. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Busy, busy, busy! And in a good way too. Working on Teeny's SL100 (will do a separate report/update on that), had a great dual sport ride with my friend Keith the other day and had an awesome quad ride today.

Dual sport ride on Thursday to a couple of small reservoirs on the NW end of Baker Valley, first Pilcher Creek Reservoir, than later in the day ended up at Wolf Creek Reservoir. First stop of the day was at an elk feeding station to look around and so Keith could consult his map book;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We left here and ended up at Pilcher Creek Reservoir, then circled up and around onto NFS Road 7312 and then out to the 73 road (Anthony Lakes Highway), we explored a few side roads, then went back down to where we started and headed over to Wolf Creek Reservoir and then North about 2 miles where we saw a gorgeous cinnamon bear! We startled the bear and it ran up a long hill away from us so we got a good look, but he was so fast we weren't able to get our cameras out in time for a picture.

We covered 90 miles in about 4 hours, then it was time to head home for that day.

Today we went riding on the quads, it was Little Red's first ride on her new Kodiak 450. We did a short loop first to the Who House, then we back-tracked and went all the way up Pine Creek Road to the Pine Creek Reservoir. The scenery was spectacular! From where we unloaded the pickups to the Reservoir is only about 4.5 miles but going up took 2 hours. Not only was it steep, but very rough and rocky. The higher we climbed, the more debris we had to clear. Just before the top, we had to use my quads winch to clear the trail of a pretty large tree. The last half mile was super rough, but it was worth the effort!

Here we stopped to clear a path where the snow drift is still over the road;
    [​IMG]

Same spot from a different angle. Note Eagle Cap Mountains in the back-ground;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking from the snow patch toward the final 1/2 mile;
    [​IMG]

As we pulled up, there was a herd of about 12 mountain goats fleeing the area. If you look closely you can see the last two climbing the rock side hill, just two tiny white dots on the left hand side of the rock face about 2/3 of the way up;
    [​IMG]

Standing on the dam, looking across the reservoir;
    [​IMG]

Looking back toward Baker Valley from the same position;
    [​IMG]

Little Red and her brother Vince on the dam;
    [​IMG]

Our altimeters showed we were at 6,500 feet, Baker Valley is at about 3,400 feet. Another great day!

Ride Now, Jungle Man and DRZ RIDER like this.
  12. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    A few more pics from the Pine Creek trip.

Crossing the drift;
    [​IMG]

Water crossing;
    [​IMG]

Jungle Man likes this.
  13. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Beater Bike Bonanza (https://advrider.com/f/threads/triple-b-and-noobs-too-6-25-20-thru-6-28-20.1413233/) training day for Little Red and Teeny. We've been working on Teeny's SL100 trying to blend the lights and wiring from an MR175, but that process has been slower than hoped. Yesterday, after making limited progress, we just buttoned up the wiring, put the tank and seat back on and left the wiring project for another day. A full report on that soon.

Today worked to prep the other two Beaters, the DT125A and the SL350, for today's session. The battery was dead on the SL350 so put it on the charger, then went to work on the DT125A, changing oil and adjusting the front brake.

Changing oil;
    [​IMG]

Moved the brake lever forward a couple of splines, which brought the front brake into better adjustment. Before, with the adjustments at each end of the cable all the way out, there was barely any brake. Now it works;
    [​IMG]

The SL350 battery would not take a charge, so will have to be replaced. Since I already replaced the battery once and factored that into the BBB challenge totals (stay under $750), I'm not adding that to my tally. Ended up taking the trusty DR650 as my support ride.

Then we loaded up and headed out to the OHV. Our primary goal today was to build confidence and for the ladies to work on their clutch and shifting skills. By the end of the day they were both riding up and down the road, going thru the gears and looking pretty confident. Here they are right after we finished riding;
    [​IMG]

And here's a group pic we took with Teeny using a delay feature on her phone camera;
    [​IMG]

They are both ready for more, so we'll take that as a very good sign!

Jungle Man, Baroquenride and mrsdnf like this.
  14. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    I love seeing Little Red and Teeny on their bikes with smiles on their faces. It's also nice to see Teeny has found herself some good boots.

I'll be down to ride with the three of you soon. I want to practice riding my XR100 at the OHV park and take the Superbug out to find a good poker run route or two for the Beater Bike Bonzana campout. :clap
    LC Garage and Jungle Man like this.
  15. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    We'll be glad to help lay out some rides and also do more riding with you at the OHV. Really hoping we can do a beginners course and then something more challenging for the experienced riders.
    Ladybug likes this.
  16. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Spent the day in the shop working on the 3 BBB bikes. Lots of progress. Will do the same most of the week, also prepping the trailer and the motor home. Reports on that later.

Just a couple more pics from the Pine Creek Reservoir quad ride. They're trickling in because Vince and Little Red are slowly sharing.

Here we are moving the tree blocking the last 100 yards or so from the top of the trail. We used my quads winch and drug and winched it out of the way, Vince was the choker setter and I was running the "yarder";
    [​IMG]

You can see how the quad is squatting under the pressure from the winch, at times it pulled the quad uphill just a little;
    [​IMG]

Good times! :D
    Ladybug likes this.
  17. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    BBB progress, bike by bike. First Little Red's DT125A had a small list of needs; bent RH foot peg, no horn and a long stove bolt holding the LH lever perch. Started with the foot peg as it was bent forward and down making it awkward for her to use the rear brake;
    [​IMG]

I took the peg off and while the mount looked perfect, the peg itself had the hole wallowed out and also was slightly bent. Then I got to thinking, we'd bought several sets of pegs when working on the BSA's, looking for the perfect setup. I dug around and found a nice pair of the wide style MX pegs and they were a perfect fit, so changed both sides;
    [​IMG]

Little Red tried them out and really liked the feel. The brake pedal was now perfect for her and we ended up raising the shift lever up one spline.

Looked at the horn, probed the wiring and found it had power and ground, just a bad horn. Where would we find a horn? How about a Rebel horn? We'd already tested it and knew it worked;
    [​IMG]

The Rebel horn is slightly larger but it fit (snugly);
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

By putting a 90 degree bend in the rebel bracket, it fit pretty good, also mated the DT and Rebel horn harnesses;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Took stove bolt out of LH lever perch and threads were fine, found a correct bolt and it went in and tightened up. We think the DT is as ready as its going to get. We'll see after more practice sessions.

18. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    BBB SL350 list is slightly bigger, but mainly replacing broken upper triple clamp, replacing the defective battery and repairing fuel leak at petcock.

As I often do, severely underestimated the time replacing the upper triple clamp would take. The reason for this was the previous owner had decided to bolt the tach and speedo to the triple clamp with bolts that did not fit in the internal bolt holders and would rotate AND he also used lock-nuts. Bad combo. Very bad. I tried to hold the tip of bolt with a variety of tools but no go. I finally decided that since the triple clamp was already broken, I would "carefully" break the mounting lug right at the bolt hole so I could remove and reuse the instruments. I did consider using the 4.5" cutoff wheel but could not find an angle that would not cause damage.

The broken clamp;
    [​IMG]

The lock-nuts were not coming off;
    [​IMG]

I was surprised at how much force was required to break these mounting lugs. I first scored them with a very sharp wood chisel, the used a longer metal chisel (also very sharp) to ensure they broke right down the middle of the holes. It worked;
    [​IMG]

Here's what I found inside the gauge bracket, no wonder they rotated;
    [​IMG]

My solution was to use some wider bolts scavenged from the Rebel, grind flat spots to fit the internal bolt holders and reassemble without lock nuts;
    [​IMG]

Ready to go back on;
    [​IMG]

Replacement triple clamp and hardware all cleaned up and ready for reassembly;
    [​IMG]

All back together;
    [​IMG]

My local O'Reilly's didn't have the exact battery in AGM, so we just went by size. It was slightly too wide and a little shorter;
    [​IMG]

I tweaked the battery holder and then used some padding;
    [​IMG]

Done;
    [​IMG]

Today will work on fuel leak, check the bike over and test ride, then move back to the SL100.

mrsdnf and Ladybug like this.
  19. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    SL350 fuel leak turned out to be a bad seal at the petcock to tank junction. Will scrounge thru the parts bins today to see if we have a good used one.

SL100 progress has been herky-jerky. Trying to blend the MR175 headlight, switches and harness has taken longer than expected and we would work on it, then put tank and seat back on to ride and then back apart again. Some of this posting will repeat prior info but that's just so it all makes some kind of sense.

We began yesterday by having Teeny clip all previous zip ties and unwind any electrical tape to free all the wires up;
    [​IMG]

She's wearing her new MX boots to break them in. :lol3

We are using wiring diagrams for both the MR175 and SL100. Here is the SL100 diagram in one of my old manuals;
    [​IMG]

The only thing remaining of the original SL100 wiring was the charging circuit and we'd already put in a new rectifier 9 years ago and recently replaced the battery. The bike also has a key switch, but as it turns out the PO had adapted one from something else, so it has two unused wires which we are putting to use.

The main goal of this exercise was to make this bike "kind of" street legal-ish. We are using the entire MR175 harness and splicing/adding in wires as needed. There are also portions, like the kill switch, that were more geared to the non-battery two stroke system.

One of the first things we did was to try and repair the light switch as it had fallen apart;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It appears the RH switch (missing the knob) is supposed to turn the lights on and off while the LH switch controls lo and hi beam.
    We need to do a little more testing before we finalize how we hook this up. I'm not convinced the switch is correctly reassembled and we may have to get a different switch. I think it is missing a second copper bar as there were two rows of contacts to bridge. I put the one bar we had in the middle but am now thinking that was wrong. :doh

Kill switch: from the MR175 diagram this was meant to work as a grounding circuit (like on a magneto) to kill the spark. This worked fine for the battery-less 175 but if hooked up per the diagram on the SL100 Ignition (running off battery) would blow the fuse;
    [​IMG]

We elected to wire the switch backwards from how it was intended, so it is now routed in-line with the ignition circuit and runs when the switch is in the "off" position (continuity) and does not run in the "run" position (no continuity). To avoid confusion, Teeny has painted over the "run" and "off" markings and is just going to put a red dot on the newly designated run position. Confused yet?

Here is where we've wired it into the SL100 ignition, using a jumper wire;
    [​IMG]

Taking it step by step, next we connected the yellow wire from the alternator on the SL100 to the yellow wire on the switch, as we believe this is what provides the power for the high beam. Here is the process of connecting that wire after slipping the new yellow wire down into the rectifier loom;
    [​IMG]

And another goofy video;
    https://lastchancegarage.smugmug.com/ADV-LCG/i-JCSLkw7/A

In hindsight I'm thinking maybe the yellow wire was meant as the only power source for the MR 175 headlight and putting power in thru the switch from the battery might be a mistake. More testing needed. The real answer might be a headlight switch from any old small Honda 4 stroke.

Sorry if this was confusing, more to come.

20. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    I like your goofy videos. :clap
    LC Garage likes this.