Last Chance Garage

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by LC Garage, Oct 12, 2018.

1. OLD GREEN

OLD GREEN Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks again Rick, you helped save another one! My sister in law sent me a little video of her 125 Yamaha smoothly idling in the garage thanks to the new carb. She's totally stoked to have it up and running again.
    LC Garage likes this.
  2. LC Garage

LC Garage On Any Sunday Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad I could be of some small help and that pretty little bike is running again! :D
  3. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Great progress in shop yesterday and wiring is basically completed. SL100 HL switch tested fine and is easily replaced if it should give any problems. Did discover the rectifier is bad, and battery not charging, so will replace that and retest everything before giving a final wiring report. Here are a few pics;
    [​IMG]

Only wiring not fully completed is for charging system. Tested stator and it shows good, tested rectifier and it showed bad. New one on the way. Once the charging system is working properly, will make final decision on powering the HL, either direct from charging system or from battery. At this point the HL & TL are off of charging system and only brake light is off of battery. Felt that was safest as I've read sometimes you can have issues with this type of system causing blown bulbs and thought it best to have the brake light itself super reliable;
    [​IMG]

Using the number plate and other various bits to try and create a retro enduro look have been challenging as the harnesses are a bit short, so decided to drill a hole in the number plate to get a more direct route for HL switch wires to HL and also drilled an access hole in the HL shell for these wires thru an unused upper grommet;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also did some carb work on it, trying to get it to run a little leaner and cleaner and get rid of some mid range hesitation. Here is the spark plug after the last ride;
    [​IMG]

Since we'd already dropped the needle one notch (from center) Decided to pull the jet and emulsifier tube and compare the original vs the reproduction. In the foreground is the original and behind is the one out of our reproduction carb;
    [​IMG]

From what I've read, larger holes in the emulsifier tube equal more air and a leaner mix. While the jets look the same visually (no jet size on new jet), we went ahead and installed the original emulsifier and main jet into the repro carb. Did end up with the bowl over flowing and tried multiple times to reset float level and checked needle valve, finally decided to use float from original carb and that seemed to do the trick. When we installed the repro carb originally it had a porous float bowl and we used the original, so the float may have had some interference with bowl causing it to hang up. Anyway the original bowl and float are now being used together on the repro carb and seem to be working.

The petcock is a little weepy, so ordered a new seal for that as well. Now onto the SL350.

The fuel leak on the SL350 was the seal at the new petcock, it had gotten bunched up when 1st installed, so cleaned that up and carefully reinstalled using Teflon tape on the threads. Nice and dry now. Fired up the old twin for the first time in many months, sounded great. Here's a little video of it running, I sound kind of rummy after being in the shop all day, mostly working on wiring. LOL

https://lastchancegarage.smugmug.com/ADV-LCG/i-6Kd8gJg/A

:D
  4. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    With the BBB only a few weeks away, we are trying to get something done every day for that event, whether its working on the bikes, the motor home ("Winnona") or the trailer. Started the day putting some kitchen racks up in Winnona for Little Red, one for spices and one for knives. Then decided to do a little pretty work on the SL350 as I've grown tired of how shabby it looks;
    [​IMG]

First thing was to grab a couple of number plates from the pile and put them on as side panels and make it look a little more finished. Factory looking copies of the originals are available, but are kinda spendy. We did something similar on the old "435" SL350 and I liked how that turned out;
    [​IMG]

This picture was from a few years back (2016) when we had a shop weekend to get everyone's bikes ready for the Wallowa Jamboree (another epic event put on by Lady Bug), the 435 side panels were pieces of aluminum that had a rolled top edge to go over the frame rail. These were salvaged from another old SL350 race bike, painted red and white oval decals applied. The 435 denotes the bike came with a very rare Powroll 435 kit. The middle bike is TwinDuro and the Tangerine Nightmare (later this bike received my original race motor and really screams) and on the right is Paul Fournier (Oregon Coast) and the multi race winning SL350 that Paul and the Outta Sight team conquered the Mexican 1000 with;
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/four-dudes-a-vintage-honda-twin-and-the-2012-mexican-1000.755786/

An interesting note is that the current SL350 I'm working on actually came as a pair with the 435 from Bend Oregon. We bought them cheap as they had sat outside for a long time and then used all the best pieces from both bikes to build the 435. So even though the bike I'm working on now only shows 2200 miles on the odometer, it looks a bit rough because all the good stuff went on the other bike. I'd forgotten that until I started looking at this picture.

Here is the link to my old SL350 thread, showing when we brought the two salvaged SL350's home from Bend, after racing my original SL350 race bike that weekend (May 2013) at the Steel Stampede. It's the very last picture of that post and shows three SL350's on the trailer;
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/vintage-dirt-racing-on-a-350-honda-twin.698196/page-17#post-21352115

So after putting on the number plates, I looked at the beat up old gas tank (a K2 tank that is clean inside, the original K3 tank looked nicer but was super rusty inside) and decided to remove the emblems, touch up the white stripes and then buff out the scratched up blue paint.

Here I've touched up the stripes and used 000 steel wool to removed the major rust spots and getting ready to buff;
    [​IMG]

After;
    [​IMG]

Next up is installing the salvaged Super Trapps. The story of these mufflers can be found here (in the second half of the post);
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/last-chance-garage.1344788/page-14#post-39246693

Getting started. Those old bushings from some other mufflers are really froze on there, the most forward portion of the bushings are 1.5" OD and the inside of the Super Trapps are 1.5" ID;
    [​IMG]

Used the 4.5" cutoff wheel to take off the skinny portion of the bushings, then slotted the ends of the muffs so they can be clamped on;
    [​IMG]

With muffs clamped on, time to make some hangers. Where can I salvage some flat mild steel? How about the packing crate Lady Bugs MB200-2 came in;
    [​IMG]

Cut to length and mounting holes drilled, then bent the ends at a slight angle to meet the cones;
    [​IMG]

Wire brushed the pieces to be welded and then migged together;
    [​IMG]

Jax approves! It's been awhile since he's done any photo bombing;
    [​IMG]

Not looking quite so ratty now and sounds good too;
    [​IMG]

5. Honda-50

Honda-50 Vet Lurker

Oddometer:
    990B3FE0-E5F5-48B4-8D4C-8B3C5BD8460A_1_201_a.jpeg A8977002-0D2B-43B7-9A5C-31ADE9FBC47D_1_201_a.jpeg 924E1B78-A8FF-4C91-BF48-6CB17F3BFAC9_1_201_a.jpeg
    I love those twin downtube SL's. Here's various incarnations of my old '71 K1.
    Sure would love to get another for Old School Scrambles "racing" we do down here in SoCal.
    44E400C9-2209-4412-BD63-4540EEBDD180_4_5005_c.jpeg
    Jungle Man and LC Garage like this.
  6. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Honda-50 likes this.
  7. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Got back out in the shop today, did a few more things on the motor home, then switched back to the SL350.

1st up was fixing the horn. A little testing indicated it was a horn switch issue. It was super crusty inside;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Flushed it with brake clean a few times, blew it out with compressed air and then gave it a dab of WD-40. Kept pushing the button in and out and lo and behold it started working. Taped up the exposed dark green wire then screwed it back together. Since the housing was broken, used a combination of electrical tape and a zip tie to firmly secure it into place. Remember, this s a BEATER bike. LOL

Then it was on to some lighting issues. We had no taillight, just the brake light and also the speedo light did not work. In both cases it was just a bad bulb.

Here is what the tail light looked like with lens off;
    [​IMG]

After wire brushing the bulb holder and cleaning the reflector along with a new LED bulb and viola, it worked great;
    [​IMG]

Then it was time for more cleaning and starting a little touch-up. Used a drill and very small wire wheel to clean a bunch of rust off the frame with the intention of touching that up with some frame paint. Did not get quite that far today, but did manage to touch-up the muffs and also to carefully touch up the chipped rims of the instruments.

Looking better every day;
    [​IMG]

Jungle Man likes this.
  8. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    SL100; finished??

This afternoon had a couple of spare hours, so decided to try and finish up the SL100 wiring. We thought it had a bad rectifier, but had not been testing it properly and it is actually fine. The charging system was working ok after all, just not putting out quite as much as I thought it should. Today I was determined to remove all old taped up connections, remove excess wire and inspect and clean up every connection.

Here is where we started;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This may be the reason the charging system was working, but not to full capacity. The white wire separated from the yellow wire as the tape was removed;
    [​IMG]

All poor connections replaced, excess wire removed, grounds all cleaned and tightened, and ready for tidying up with split loom, tape and zip ties;
    [​IMG]

All tidied up, headlight and taillight are now wired into battery charge circuit and are turned on and off by handlebar switch. Old worn out screw-in fuse holder has been replaced by modern push in fuse holder;
    [​IMG]

Could not fully test system as Teeny took the key home with her. Fingers crossed everything works properly and hoping the wiring repairs will help charging system work better.

mrsdnf and Ozarkroadrunner like this.
  9. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Was able to test the SL100 today, at idle it is now 8 volts and when revved out just over 9 volts. The broken wire must have been the culprit. Happy Days!

Ladybug likes this.
  10. Franque

Franque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You might need a new regulator, that sort of voltage will almost definitely kill a 6v battery quickly.
    LC Garage likes this.
  11. ADVDucs33

ADVDucs33 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd say it sounds ok, tiny little 100's didn't have a reg anyway lol. I just brought a CL100 home this weekend, they are a great bike those early '70s 100s.
    LC Garage likes this.
  12. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    During this process I was surprised to learn that the early 6 volt Hondas only used a rectifier and rely on the battery as a ballast to store the higher volts. There are many posts and opinions out there and if needed a regulator can be added. For now well just monitor the system and see how everything holds up.

We have had some issues with higher rpm stutter and seeming over rich, hoping the increased voltage will help that.
    ADVDucs33 likes this.
  13. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    With the three beater bikes pretty much ready (these are and always will be works in progress) decided it was time to get serious with the long ongoing project bike the SL175.

When we left off on the SL175, the top end had been completed and the next step was to split the cases to repair the kick starter. While this may seem a little backwards, bear in mind when this project was 1st started, my buddy Bill just wanted it made into a runner and possibly a set of rings. And it just snowballed from there. I already had the engine out and top end disassembled when I realized the bike needed everything and was also in the midst of relocating to Eastern Oregon, so decided to take a sort of "modular " approach, finish the top end and since the cases split horizontally, take on semi-slipping kick-start as a separate project. That being said, the last couple of days went well and the bottom end is apart. Here are the steps;

No pics on the alternator cover removal, it was pretty simple. Here is a pic of the shift shaft, showing it is not only stripped but also slightly bent. It will have to be replaced;
    [​IMG]

Starting on the more technical clutch side, first thing was to remove the kick-start lever that had been welded on;
    [​IMG]

The weld was ground off with a 4.5" flapper disc and the lever and shaft separated. Both need replaced due to previously stripped splines;
    [​IMG]

Next is using an impact screwdriver to remove the old phillips head cover screws that typically had a couple stubborn semi stripped ones.
    [​IMG]

I was able to get a vice grip on this one and carefully broke it loose and got it out;
    [​IMG]

This one was in a recess, so carefully used a small wood chisel to rotate the screw out;
    [​IMG]

Clutch cover off;
    [​IMG]

After the 6mm oil filter retainer screw is removed, an 8mm bolt is screwed in and that pushes the filter housing cover off;
    [​IMG]

After pushing the lock tangs down, the oil filter retainer nut was loosened by carefully tapping the edges. The proper tool to re-install this nut has been ordered;
    [​IMG]

Oil filter off;
    [​IMG]

After removing the four clutch pressure plate bolts and clutch springs, the clutch basket snap ring is removed as well as the two oil pump bolts and then the clutch basket and oil pump are removed as a unit;
    [​IMG]

Next is to slide the shift shaft assembly out. Because it was slightly bent, it took a little extra effort to get it out;
    [​IMG]

Then the motor was flipped over to remove all of the case half bolts;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bottom case half off, and kick-start shaft (aka spindle) is out;
    [​IMG]

At first glance the trans gears look good;
    [​IMG]

And here's the culprit, the teeth are just slightly rounded off;
    [​IMG]

All parts to get bottom end back together are on order, a mix of new and used, plus a complete set of RH and LH side cover Allen bolts.

Baroquenride likes this.
  14. 380Viking

380Viking Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Gotta love horizontally split cases!
    LC Garage likes this.
  15. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Parts for the SL175 are starting to come in;
    [​IMG]

Some of the new bits are on the left;
    [​IMG]

The shift shaft and mechanism seems to be in very nice condition, the original is in really bad shape, not only are the splines shot, but the slotted lever that rotates the shift drum was really worn and deformed, it looked like it had been shifted by a neanderthal. I'll need to check the shift drum pins for wear.

The shiny copper colored gear is the starter pinion and apparently not for a 1970. At first glance it seems the same but has a different tooth count and does not have the squared shoulder to index onto the kick-start shaft. From what I've read, Honda changed the kick-start mechanism from 1970 to 1971. The replacement kick-start also appears to be in nice shape, will take apart and give a close inspection to see if pinion is usable. I was able to find an NOS replacement for the other gear (ratchet?) and will use the best of all the pieces. I'm thinking the pinion gear teeth might be filed for better engagement, will experiment on the worst of the two first. Nothing to lose.

After we return from the BBB, will get serious on reassembly.

Baroquenride likes this.
  16. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Finally threw in the towel on the Chinese carb on Teeny's SL100. It has a mid range bog or stutter that no amount of parts changing, needle clip adjusting or swearing would fix. We've had this carb apart and together so many times I could do it in my sleep.

Took both the Chinese carb and original apart, laid them side by side and resorted the parts all back so all original parts are with each respective carb. Then checked and measured each piece looking for some variable. Even measure the needles for diameter and taper (marked them at .5" and 1.0" and checked diameters - same) and the only thing different was the number of emulsion holes in the pilot jet;
    [​IMG]

Conclusion; possibly an internal casting flaw in the Chinese carb. This makes some sense as it's bowl had a porous casting and leaked fuel from the beginning and we subbed the old stock bowl onto the Chinese carb.

Cleaned up the original carb and reassembled with all the old pieces and put it on. A brief ride and it seems better. Will have Teeny ride today and see what she thinks.

mrsdnf likes this.
  17. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Before moving on to the newest project or finishing the SL175, a quick recap of the 2020 Beater Bike Bonanza in John Day;

In the days & weeks leading up to the BBB, we worked hard getting our new to us '01 Winnie ready and also a continuation of prepping the old bikes. On Wednesday night we loaded up and on Thursday morning headed out. It's a short trip for us, but over winding roads with three different summits. A good test.

All was well until we reached the Grant County camp ground, when we pulled into our campsite and the automatic parking system deployed and would not come off. For a few moments we thought the transmission had failed as it would not move forward or backward. Then I remembered reading at some point about a parking brake issue with the Workhorse chassis. I quickly googled and the first article that came up was "Chevy P-30 Auto Parking Brake (welcome to our nightmare)" Ruh Roh!

I'll save you the gory details, but we ended up blocking the wheels, then crawled underneath to try and disconnect the cable. The cable was so tight I couldn't get the pin out, but was able to unbolt the lever arm and it came free. We zip tied the loose pieces together and went back to setting up camp. Once we had camp set up, we unloaded the bikes and went for our first ride.

The SL350 and DT125A were flawless all weekend, the SL350 generally started on one kick and my only complaint was the gearing was more suited to trail riding. Likewise the Yamaha started easy, ran great and the only problem it had was when nephew Josh ran out of gas on the long Saturday ride and switched to reserve, we somehow flooded it and fouled a plug.

Teeny's SL100 fought us all weekend and even with lots of help from many people, were unable to unlock the mysteries of why this bike just won't run well and is low on power. Slow Joe, Papa Big Cycle and Jungle Man especially worked hard to solve what we thought were carb and ignition problems, but my final conclusion is something deeper, like a timing chain that is off by a tooth or two. When we originally bought the bike 10 years ago, we were told the motor had a fresh bore and piston and went through the same process of problems and always assumed it needed a new carb. It is now parked until enough projects are caught up to delve into that, maybe next winter. Little Red then shared her 125 with Teeny so they both had a chance to do some riding and Teeny also got a chance to ride Jungle Man's SL100 which was a big improvement over her bike.

Other than our SL100 woes, we did manage to have a beginner ride on Friday that went from camp, thru town, onto highway 26 then onto NFS road 74 (all paved) and wound around the hills and drooped into Canyonville. From there it went back to John Day on highway 395. This loop was about 10 miles and was just enough of a challenge for beginners like Little Red.

At this point of the beginner ride we've swapped bikes and riders as we were trying to figure out the SL100. Jungle Man was now on the SL350, I was on Teeny's SL100 and Teeny was on the Green Hornet. PNW Buttercup and Lady Bug are behind us, not in the picture. This is where we decided to split up and take the SL100 back to camp;
    [​IMG]

Saturday morning we lined up the beaters and non-beaters for the big ride (about 75 miles) that went around Strawberry Mountain. Here are some pics before departing, with Lady Bug and her many helpers setting up fun and challenging games that would count on our poker run points.

One of the games;
    [​IMG]

Here are a few pics of the bikes being lined up and the games in the background;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Smilin' Jack and nephew Josh getting ready to ride, Josh rode Little Red's 125;
    [​IMG]

We stopped a couple of times to visit and regroup, early on we lost Kootenai Rider on his 175 Bushwacker due to carb problems (the only bike that did not go the distance). Here we are at the intersection of NFS 16 and Prairie Summit road;
    [​IMG]

At the same intersection, this is KeeBee driving the SAG rig. She's taking a picture of me, taking a picture of her;
    [​IMG]

Checkpoint at the snowmobile club parking lot, just short of the summit (about 5,600 feet), Mark and Mary (can't remember their ADV names, doh!) ran the checkpoint and games. Big fun, with Killed by Death amassing a monster points lead;
    [​IMG]

After the summit, it was an easy ride into Prairie City, where Josh ran out of gas (main tank) and coasted to a stop. After we switched to reserve, we somehow flooded it and needed a plug change and Ryan (not sure of his ADV name, he was with Papa Big Cycle) magically produced a plug wrench, we quickly swapped plugs and were back on our way. After gassing up in Prairie City we headed West on highway 26 but were a bit slow for traffic, luckily Slow Joe and Donell escorted us all the way on their dual sports. Thanks guys!

When we got back to camp Lady Bug and her helpers had set up obstacle courses and other challenges. Here they are in the process of setting up and trying out some of the events;
    [​IMG]

That evening there were awards and prizes given out for many categories, U-turn provided sprockets and gold paint, Teeny provided the talent to turn them into awards;
    [​IMG]

Killed by Death won the Poker Run, Kootenai Rider's TL125 was selected as "Best Beater Bike" by great nephew Orrin. Teeny with KBD and KR;
    [​IMG]

Smilin' Jack had given KeeBee his old 250 Nighthawk as a beginner bike, and we all noticed it looked a lot like the Rebel 250 parts bike. We decided KeeBee needed the Rebel for bits and pieces for her new ride. so on Sunday they followed us home to Baker City and loaded it up;
    [​IMG]

Lady Bug stopped by later that day and picked up her Trailmaster, and U-turn and Farmer Chris made a deal to buy the SL350 and pick it up soon, so naturally that made room for the newest beater to come home, the '76 CT90;
    [​IMG]

For more reports and pictures, go here; https://advrider.com/f/threads/trip...20-thru-6-28-20.1413233/page-14#post-40335057

Already looking forward to next year!

Slow Joe, fxray, mrsdnf and 1 other person like this.
  18. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Several updates. First is the SL175, the last key component to start reassembly is a 28221-314-000 kick start ratchet. Bought from eBay, tracking shows it was delivered Thursday the 25th and we cannot find it. Kind of bummed out. Not sure if one of our local crack heads took it from our mail while we were at the BBB, or if there is some fluke in the tracking system showing it delivered but it didn't make it. Any thoughts or experiences with eBay tracking of USPS that wasn't accurate? Sigh.

Next up and much more positive is the Norman Hyde mid set controls arrived for the Bonneville America and were installed. The fit and finish of these pegs and controls is (in my opinion) better than stock. The old forward mounted brake pedal and shifter felt loose and imprecise, the new set is beefier, more rigid and more user friendly. The 4" setback really gives a better feel of control, at least for me. With the Mustang Bonneville (Std, not America) seat and mid set controls, the whole feel of the bike is much better.

Here are some pics, in order from stock with new parts laid out, to finished with old parts, to just the bike ready to ride;

Stock RH peg and brake pedal;
    [​IMG]

Stock LH peg and shifter;
    [​IMG]

Updated RH mid peg and brake pedal (Note: I keep wanting to call it a "Harry Hyde" mid control kit, Harry Hyde was the actual crew chief portrayed in days of thunder as Harry Hogg. Harry Hyde was the legendary crew chief who helped Tim Richmond gain many victories);
    [​IMG]

Updated LH mid peg and shifter;
    [​IMG]

Total package seat and mid peg and brake pedal;
    [​IMG]

Total package seat and mid peg and shifter;
    [​IMG]

The chassis has always felt good and even seemed like it wanted to be pushed harder into corners, but the old cruiser seat and forward controls just never felt right or comfortable. The new setup will take a little time to get used to but a couple short rides felt pretty good. This bike is darn near finished, only needs new tires and a small front windshield. And maybe rear shocks, the stockers feel kind of junky, especially two up.

Next up will be a little CT90 update.

Franque and Ladybug like this.
  19. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    With the SL175 project on hold due to the missing kick start gear, the CT90 got a little love. First was removing the goofy pillion seat and putting on a stock rear rack and repairing the broken battery cover and installing that;
    [​IMG]

Rack and battery cover installed;
    [​IMG]

Repairing the battery box started with cleaning all the broken bits with rubbing alcohol, then getting out the hot glue gun. This glue gun fixed many of the kids toys over the years and can be pretty effective on plastic parts;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While still warm, the cover was installed so as the parts cooled they would take a set in the proper position;
    [​IMG]

Later today, a first wash. Before and after pics;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rack got some attention with 0000 steel wool;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hoping to get it running with just a carb kit and battery. Have a stock key coming from eBay and will also change headlight shell and taillight, possibly from riding buddy Keith's parts stash. Did notice a crack in rear tire (they appear to be original) but won't change tires unless I have to. Will use heat gun to lift damaged decal from airbox and will hunt down missing pieces to connect air box to rear rack snorkel. Will really try to do this one on the cheap.

20. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Since we're stuck on parts for the SL175, Began work to get the CT90 running. Points were pretty dirty, cleaned, checked timing (within 2 degrees) and checked and adjusted valve clearance, they were pretty tight;
    [​IMG]

Scrounged around for a 6V battery, still had the old (10 years) battery from the SL100, had one almost dry cell but still showed over 4 volts, filled with acid and watched the voltage rise to 5.8V. Hmmm...that oughta work! Hooked it up, threw in a new spark plug and had nice whitish-blue spark. So far, so good.

Time to take a look in the carb;
    [​IMG]

Didn't look like a quick clean was going to do it, but forged ahead, pulled it all apart and found a plugged pilot jet. Tried to run a wire through it but no go. Time to order a carb kit and a few other pieces and do it right. Stay tuned.

Ozarkroadrunner and Ladybug like this.