Last Chance Garage

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by LC Garage, Oct 12, 2018.

1. LC Garage

LC Garage On Any Sunday Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had a fun quad ride a few days ago, Little Red's oldest brother Fred was in town with his son Ted, so Jan's other bother Vince took us out for an adventure on the quads. We headed up Rock Creek road, which follows the North fork of Rock Creek and ends in a high meadow at 7,800 feet. Several creek crossings of varying difficulty with one that was a particularly challenging and also one hill climb at about 7,000 feet where my old carbureted quad was gasping for air. After reaching the end of the road, we then climbed, sometimes on hands and knees and holding onto trees or roots to make it to the top of the ridge, overlooking the next valley and Summit Lake. Altimeter at that point showed 8,100 feet. Fantastic views, perfect blue skies, pine and spruce trees, just a great day.

Jax and I just heading out;
    [​IMG]

Along the way, Vince took us to a mine abandoned long ago, this mine was probably active around 1900;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vince is explaining how the ore was brought to the top of this structure and dumped into the stamping mill, then the crushed and separated ore was sent into Baker City via horse drawn wagons to be refined;
    [​IMG]

Fred and I investigating the rubble, the stack of iron rings is from an old water tower that collapsed;
    [​IMG]

Further down the hill we found what we believe was a small kiln used to refine ore samples onsite;
    [​IMG]

And next to that the remnants of a log cabin. Probably an office building;
    [​IMG]

We saw the remnants of several log cabins throughout the day as we traveled thru this remote area. We even saw signs of active mines;
    [​IMG]

We also saw several no trespassing signs and make no mistake you need to respect those wishes!

We got back on the trail and here you can just see Little Red after she's gone under a tree blown down over the road;
    [​IMG]

Here is the mountain just to her right in the picture above, we are near the end of the road at this point;
    [​IMG]

A remote hunters cabin near the top, Vince said it has been there for many decades, but showed signs of recent work, even solar panels;
    [​IMG]

The snow ahead is literally the end of the road;
    [​IMG]

Parking for lunch before we hiked to the top;
    [​IMG]

Our goal was this ridge, which overlooks the next valley and the North Powder River drainage;
    [​IMG]

And up we go;
    [​IMG]

The footing was loose and in some points we were on our hands and knees and holding onto roots or small trees, but we made it. And oh what a view;
    [​IMG]

The vertical drop here is at least a thousand feet. I was the only one that seemed worried about the heights!

Looking back down the trail we just came up;
    [​IMG]

A few more pics, here Ted looks into the North Powder River drainage;
    [​IMG]

On our 2006 trip (me, Vince, Little Red and Teeny) came up from the Haines area over Marble Creek summit, down to Sumpter, to Bourne and then Cracker Creek, we passed thru the North side of this valley going from left to right (headed East) and emerging back into Baker Valley. Cracker Creek was an old wagon road from the mining days and pretty rough.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was the valley we came up;
    [​IMG]

After about 15 minutes of taking in the views, we headed down and began the trek home;
    [​IMG]

A great day of sight seeing and family time. There were times it was so incredible I gave thanks to God for the beauty of it all.

:D
  2. Loudo

Loudo Pithy

Oddometer:
    Working summers in OR between college years back in the day for the Forest Service in the Detroit Ranger District on fire crews and a trail crew we would occasionally have to pass through miner camps. We were observed closely. Those miners are an owly lot!
    LC Garage and Ladybug like this.
  3. fxray

fxray Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've never seen quads put to better use, and Jax seems to have approved of the day too. Your pictures are fabulous! Thanks for sharing them.
    LC Garage likes this.
  4. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    One more Jax pic from the summit. He's just as fearless as Little Red, so I kept a tight reign on him at the top;
    [​IMG]

Ladybug, fxray and Baroquenride like this.
  5. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Just returned from dual sport riding with buddy Keith and childhood friend Bill. We went to Dixie, Washington and stayed with Bill, who spends a lot of time riding in the hills around his home. We had decided we were going to ride a portion of the Kendall Skyline (NF-64), as well as other roads in the area.

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/washington/kendall-skyline-road

In 2018 we rode the Southern section of Skyline to Tollgate, this time we rode the Northern section to Bluewood Ski Resort. We came up thru the Mill Creek watershed and it was a beautiful climb. Lady Bug now has me thinking about flowers as I'm riding (what's happened to me! LOL) so I stopped to take a picture just for her as we came thru the watershed;
    [​IMG]

The numbers and colors of flowers was amazing, had I been riding by myself, could have stopped several times and taken more and better pics. Am thinking about different camera setups for riding.

Same stop, Bill on left and Keith on right;
    [​IMG]

One more stop coming up the watershed, beautiful views everywhere;
    [​IMG]

Watershed travel is restricted to road only;
    [​IMG]

The intersection of Mill Creek/Tiger Creek/NF-65 (on the map, same road but the name changes) and Kendall Skyline (NF-64). Turn right, you end up in Tollgate, turn left you end up near Bluewood;
    [​IMG]

Same intersection, Keith and Bill;
    [​IMG]

Bill stopped to point out the Forest Service lookout on Table Mountain, if you look carefully, you can see the tower on the left side of the plateau;
    [​IMG]

Table Rock Lookout info; https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/umatilla/recarea/?recid=56921

About 5 miles later, we were at the lookout;
    [​IMG]

Glorious view;
    [​IMG]

More flowers for Lady Bug from Table Mountain lookout;
    [​IMG]

Bill taking some GPS readings at the lookout;
    [​IMG]

Monument near the lookout is dedicated to Forest Service employee William H Kendall who surveyed, promoted and over-saw the building of the Skyline road, completed in 1928;
    [​IMG]

We continued on to where the last remaining snowbank blocked the road. A pair of jeeps were waiting to attempt the first crossing of the year, but were blocked by a pickup someone had parked on the other side and went hiking. When we arrived, we talked to the jeep guys and borrowed a shovel to dig a small trench to prevent our wheels from sliding down the embankment. Bill had crossed here a few years ago and ended up siding downward about 50 yards and had quite a struggle getting his bike out. With the trench dug, I took a very short run, just enough to get a bit of momentum and rolled to the top of the hump, then gunned it to the other side.

As soon as I crossed, turned to take a picture of Bill in the process of crossing, but he was too quick for me and was already over;
    [​IMG]

Did get a short video of Keith crossing;
    https://lastchancegarage.smugmug.com/ADV-LCG/i-Kf77jxR/A

Just over the hill from this location (about 2 miles off road) is a downed WW2 Hellcat. The next time we ride in this area we'll come better prepared and hike to the plane. We are also told there is a downed B-17 within 15 miles of here, we're thinking of trying to make it to both planes at some point and call it the "War-Bird Ride".

The other end;
    [​IMG]

We had a couple of great days riding and visiting with Bill and he also introduced us to his neighbor and friend that Bill bought the SL175 from. I'll leave that story for the next SL175 update.

Jungle Man, Ladybug and Baroquenride like this.
  6. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    It looks like you had a good time. Good job with taking time to enjoy the flowers.
    LC Garage likes this.
  7. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    SL175 update; as mentioned before, one of the gears purchased was incorrect and the other gear never showed up. Have been looking on eBay with no luck for a correct set of new gears, but widened the search this morning and found them at CMS in the Netherlands (https://www.cmsnl.com/). They are now ordered and will likely take a couple weeks to get here, but then that engine can finally go back together.

With that project again on hold, directed my energy toward the CT90 and making it run. Had taken the carb apart a week or so ago and have been soaking it with spray carb cleaner. Got serious and scrubbed it down with carb cleaner and a brush, then into the ultrasonic cleaner. After a few hours in there, each piece was carefully wire brushed and then back in the ultrasonic. By the afternoon everything was nice and clean and time to assemble. Unfortunately only about half the parts in the kit were correct, so ended up cleaning the main and pilot jets and reusing them. I had previously tried cleaning the pilot with no luck, but remembered one of you smart ADV'ers (wish I remembered who it was, to thank them) had mentioned using heat to get hardened deposits out of plugged jets and decided to try it. And it worked!

While the carb parts were soaking in the ultrasonic, replaced the condenser and properly remounted the coil inside the body work. It had been out before and was only mounted to one hole and the condenser appeared to have been adapted from an automotive application;
    [​IMG]

Notice how the new condenser is oriented differently? I think the non stock condenser interfered with the inner fender so the coil had been mounted out of position with one bolt;
    [​IMG]

Correct orientation is at an angle using these two bolt holes and interior fit is tight;
    [​IMG]

After fiddling withe coil and elctrics, went back to the carb, reassembled, put it back on the engine, used Luke's portable fuel can, jury rigged the SL100 battery and tried to start it. No go. Kick, kick, kick...!@#$%&*!!!

So back to basics, what hadn't been checked. We have compression, we think we have fuel (never assume anything), we previously had spark and the timing was really close, what could it be? I remembered Slow Joe helping on Teeny's SL100 at the BBB and checking the advance unit by grabbing it and rotating it, better check that. Stuck! Took it apart and it looked like someone had been there before (rounded off fasteners), it did not come off easily and was pretty gummed up, cleaned it, lubed it, put it back on with original washer but a nicer bolt, but as soon as it was fully tightened it locked up. Went to a smaller washer and that did the trick, it now worked freely. Reassembled, reset the timing and tried it again. This time it ran. Hooray!

Pics of the process, starting with what the carb looked like when first disassembled;
    [​IMG]

Pre-cleaning before ultrasonic;
    [​IMG]

After a few hours soaking in ultrasonic, pulled each piece out and wire brushed inside and out and then back in for more soaking;
    [​IMG]

What each piece looked like at the end of the process, that included compressed air thru each passage multiple times;
    [​IMG]

Ready for reassembly;
    [​IMG]

Discovering the kit wasn't 100% correct was no shock, but was a little bummed the pilot jet wouldn't work, as it was badly clogged. Decided to heat it up and see if that would dislodge the debris, sure enough it worked;
    [​IMG]

After heating it up, used a tiny sewing needle to clear it out, then soaked again in carb cleaner, blew it out with compressed air and it was nice and clean.

Ready to set float level;
    [​IMG]

One source said to set the float level at 21mm which seemed reasonable, so went with that;
    [​IMG]

Ready to go back on the bike;
    [​IMG]

On the bike and using portable fuel supply, with battery jury rigged. When it did finally start, the voltage at idle was in the mid 7's and when revved in the 8's, so pretty happy with that;
    [​IMG]

This washer may have been the original culprit locking the advance, but over the years of sitting it had also gotten pretty gummed up. After a thorough cleaning and lube and then substituting a smaller washer it was nice and free;
    [​IMG]

Back together and timing reset;
    [​IMG]

At this point it started, and I was pretty relieved. With just a little adjustment it sat and idled smoothly and revved easily. Still need to install new points, but beyond that, now that it's a runner, can move on to other things like fuel tank and hoses, lighting, horn, making it pretty, etcetera.

8. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Yesterday ordered quite a few more bits and pieces and then went to work and installed new points and stator cover, fuel tank, air filter (the parts I have for now), taped up the broken headlight shell and put the early style down-tube wrap on. The short term goal is just to ride it a little bit. Still need to install battery and a few other small items before first test ride.

Air cleaner looked ratty so used heat gun to remove old decal;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a good cleaning and light polish, also removed old deteriorated foam filter wrap and gave all the parts a thorough cleaning;
    [​IMG]

Looks a little better all the time. Used black duct tape to temporarily hold the badly broken headlight shell and headlamp together. I did order a shell off eBay but when it arrived it was for the early CT90 with smaller headlamp. Doh!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    CT90 Update, then a ride report;

Jury rigging the old SL100 battery into the CT90. Had to cut the vent off the top of the battery to squeeze it in (it's a 10 year old battery so no great loss);
    [​IMG]

A few other temporary small repairs were made as we wait for parts to arrive, then slapped a random license plate on it and went for a ride. It actually ran pretty well, looking forward to finishing it up and going on some kind of adventure ride.

Baroquenride likes this.
  10. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Ride report, back on the quads. The plan was to repeat our ride from 2006 where we went from Baker Valley over Marble Creek Pass to Sumpter, then to Bourne and up Cracker Creek on the old Army wagon road and then down the North Powder drainage back to Baker Valley.

Part way up Marble Creek, stopped to look at the valley below;
    [​IMG]

Just before the summit, we stopped for more photos;
    [​IMG]

Vince was our tour guide;
    [​IMG]

Marble Creek Summit;
    [​IMG]

Flowers for Lady Bug, I think the little white flowers might be edelweiss?;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking from the Marble Creek Summit toward the Sumpter Valley, the old lime quarry can also be seen;
    [​IMG]

From the Marble Creek summit, we then rode down thru the old lime quarry and on into Sumpter. The road thru the quarry seemed a lot better now then it did in 2006. The day before the big ride in 2006, we actually drove a Toyota Highlander from Sumpter over Marble Creek Pass with Little Red driving. When we came thru the lime quarry, Vince and I were spotting for LR as there were places the Highlander was teetering on 3 wheels. Seriously. LR is fearless! At the time I was genuinely scared in places and asked LR to stop, but she just casually drove on. Later Vince and Teeny admitted they had their hands on the door latches, ready to jump out! But I was the big chicken, I admit it. :(

Anyway, it appears the roads here have been graded and were much improved. Nothing too scary. Until we got to the next "pass".

We gassed up in Sumpter, had lunch and kept going. We went thru Bourne then we made a mistake and instead of NF-5505, we got onto Little Cracker Creek road and were headed to the Buckeye Mine, not the pass into the North Powder drainage. DOH!!!!

Here's where we made the wrong turn, all we had was a snow mobile map which wasn't much help. We decided from now on we were going to stock the quads with good maps and route plan better for next time. On the right is little cracker creek road, on the left was NF-5505 and the route we should have taken;
    [​IMG]

The road did not look familiar and at one point we talked it over and decided the road had been redone since 2006. The road became increasingly steeper with loose switchbacks. The higher we climbed, the more altitude sick my quad became. We passed a beautiful monument to miners of the area that had lost their lives and some little cabins and thought that maybe they were warming shacks? It turned out they were cabins left over from either mining or logging operations. Also near the shacks was the actual Buckeye Mine, but we were oblivious and kept going up. The mine and shacks were at 7,300 feet.

The monument, in the background is (I believe) the mountain Columbia Hill Mine was located on);
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Promotional video on Buckeye Mine; this mine has apparently been on a TV show and has been up for sale a few times.

So we pressed on, thinking we were headed to the pass, our quads slipping and sliding on the loose rock, mine sputtering and later finding out LR's was also running poorly, stalling several times. And it's brand new. Let's just say LR was not happy.

We made it! Except it dead-ended at a butte overlooking the North Powder drainage;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

At this point, we were all saying "where are we?";
    [​IMG]

We looked to the North and about a mile or so away we could see the pass. Except there was zero chance of reaching it without going back to the bottom and starting over. We talked it over and decided that since LR's quad was running so poorly, we would retrace our path back to Marble Creek as it was a slightly lower summit and a more gentle slope.

The rest of the ride was mostly uneventful, we were pretty happy to get over the last summit and back to our pickups without any further mechanical issues from LR's quad. It is headed to the local shop as soon as I wash it.

Here we are back where we started, ten hours and 80 miles later;
    [​IMG]

Jax got quite a workout and is super tired today, as his bed is too high and sloped forward, not good on steep downhills. He would brace his feet against my back and I would try to push back to give him support. We are going to do some re-arranging til we get it right.

11. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    That's a terrific pic of you and your buddy, Jax. I'm glad you took time to enjoy the flowers and the world around you, it's not easy for a racer to do. :D
    LC Garage likes this.
  12. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Farmer Chris picked up the SL350 yesterday that he and U-turn bought at the BBB. Not sure which one of them will get custody though! :D

[​IMG]
    Jungle Man, Ladybug and Baroquenride like this.
  13. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    CT90 progress. Have been doing little touch-ups while waiting for parts to arrive. Experimenting with different colors and mixing of colors, the closest I've found is Allis Chalmers orange. I did try some Chrysler Hemi orange engine paint as well as Kubota orange, but they were a bit too yellow.

So far so good, haven't decided whether or not to paint the main air cleaner body or just leave the worn patina. I'm okay with some wear, just don't like scratches;
    [​IMG]

Some parts arrived yesterday from Dr. ATV;
    [​IMG]

On the Dr. ATV web site they warn that the rear air cleaner cover may require trimming to fit, but it went right on and was inexpensive too;
    [​IMG]

Decided to paint the new cover since it was so red and went with the more yellow Kubota paint as the red underneath would bleed thru and make it seem more orange. First sanded with some 600, gave it a good cleaning then a couple coats of paint;
    [​IMG]

Should be dry today and can see how well the paint matches. :D
    Baroquenride, fxray and Honda-50 like this.
  14. U•turn

U•turn aka U-Turn

Oddometer:
    Thanks for holding on to the SL! I'm sure Farmer Chris and I will work out something between us and the three 350s (four if you count a CL). Really I shouldn't be packing in any more bikes here, but I had a good ride on the beater CB125 last week up on roads that would have been much better suited to SL riding.

Speaking of the CL, I bought a couple of quarts of the VR1 20W-50 and it feels nice in that thing too. It does get ridden in the winter though, I'm not sure how to feel about that heavy an oil at 35 degrees.

Keep up the good work on the 90, I'm also curious to see how the paint matches up. :thumb
    LC Garage likes this.
  15. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    The repainted air cleaner cover is a bit too yellow;
    [​IMG]

Thought I'd try to darken it up with a coat of Chrysler Hemi orange, and at first it looked really good, then the new paint reacted with the old paint and looked like this;
    [​IMG]

The solution at this point is to sand it back down and prime & paint both front and rear sections of the air cleaner with the Allis Chalmers paint. Stay tuned.

While waiting for the paint to dry enough to be sanded, went to work on other projects. Because the motor home auto park brake system failed on the John Day/BBB trip, we are converting to a manual park brake system. Our motor home chassis is based on the GM P30 platform and shares parts with the well known step vans, so we purchased a step van handle and cable and will adapt it to our system.

First step is building an under dash bracket to mount the handle. Started with an old scrap of pre-punch;
    [​IMG]

Cleaned up and cuts made, the RH tab folds down and gets welded, then bolts to inside of fire wall, the LH tab bends up and bolts to the inside bottom of the dash;
    [​IMG]

Almost ready, just need to weld the RH side of bracket and get it mounted, then work on cable routing and connecting to old system.
    [​IMG]

At this point had a few minutes left so went to work on another project that's been waiting, a Willys Overland radiator shroud (approx 1919) my brother in law Vince found at a yard sale out in the boonies, it's pretty badly damaged but we are fixing it just enough to use as wall art in his shop. It also has the original brass badge that Teeny is restoring to put back on.

Where we started;
    [​IMG]

After a lot of beating and banging;
    [​IMG]

Jungle Man likes this.
  16. fxray

fxray Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm impressed by how you took that paint reaction in such a calm, adult manner! A lesser man would be ordering another cover, after hammering this one all to smithereens. :lol3
    Jungle Man and LC Garage like this.
  17. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    I do try to stay calm when everything is going "to hell in a hand basket"! Today sanded, primed and finish painted the air cleaner cover halves with the Allis Chalmers orange, so far so good. As each coat of primer or paint dried, I worked on the motor home emergency brake project. That went really well. Up to a point. I had the bracket finished, painted and the whole thing installed, when I realized I was supposed to put the cable in before assembling. Yep. Now that's a bit of a setback. :baldy

Sanded;
    [​IMG]

Primed;
    [​IMG]

Painted, checked a few hours later and still no weird reactions and the color looks like a decent match;
    [​IMG]

The emergency brake project went really well other than I'll have to take it back apart to install the cable. I started by welding up the forward bracket, painted, then assembled. I also made a template for drilling the dash for the rear tab. I used the two oval holes as it gave a bit of leeway on the installation;
    [​IMG]

And when the paint was dry assembled. This was the point where the cable should have been installed. This view is from the bottom;
    [​IMG]

It bolted up into the dash, fit like a glove and is very stable. I did find one special cable end is still required down below and will order that from the step van company. Tomorrow morning am headed to Southern Oregon to help on my aunts farm, so no project work til next weekend.

Jungle Man likes this.
  18. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Trip was postponed at the last minute, so had time to tinker on the CT90. Here's the newly painted air cleaner assembly installed and snorkel connected;
    [​IMG]

The Allis Chalmers orange looks to be a decent match to Honda's original "Shiny Orange". :clap

Not finished, but progressing nicely! :D
    zzzak, fxray and Ladybug like this.
  19. U•turn

U•turn aka U-Turn

Oddometer:
    That turned out great. It's probably a closer match than an original that's seen any amount of sun. I've always been amazed at how many shades of "russet" red my pickup's interior has faded to (carpet/vinyl/red plastic/dyed plastic, etc). I'll keep in mind that Allis Chalmers has the orange dialed. I wonder if their silver is a good match for anything Honda?:thumb
    LC Garage and fxray like this.
  20. Don T. Dewitt

Don T. Dewitt n00b

Oddometer:
    image.jpg
    For you longtime readers of LCG, here's a quick update pic of the Bsa C15MX.

Won both Motos (by default) last weekend at Archview MX Track in east St. Louis.

I really like Chalmers Red.
    My Bsa 441 tank is repainted that color.