Last Chance Garage

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by LC Garage, Oct 12, 2018.

1. LC Garage

LC Garage On Any Sunday Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey buddy, thanks for the update and picture! How did the new gearing work out? And you, are you shaking off the rust? It's very nice to hear from you! :clap
    Ozarkroadrunner likes this.
  2. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    So much to do, so little time! Last week went to my Aunt's farm in Southern Oregon to help clean up and organize her shop/garage and prepare for her first ever garage sale. Arrived Monday afternoon and it was quite a mess as my Uncle Lou passed away 5 years ago, and she had held on to everything Lou had pack-ratted away. He loved taking on new hobbies, would get involved for a short time and then move on to the next interest. Working our way thru the piles and piles of stuff was like an archaeological dig. The phases and layers were; radio control airplanes, gold mining, rockhounding and polishing, astronomy, photography, fishing, hunting, hit-n-miss engines and on and on.

The famous Tom Street of Bend Oregon (and Powroll) is an old friend and loves the hit-n-miss engines, so I called him and he drove over to buy these items;
    [​IMG]

Tom and his wife Susan poked around and found quite a few other interesting items to buy or just talk about. It was a fun visit but then it was back to work. Three solid days of digging, sorting, pricing and trips to the dump. When I left Friday morning, it was clean, organized and everything priced for her sale. Whew! It's about a 8 hour drive home and I took my time, listening to my latest CD's of the Hollies, Poco, etcetera and eating a bag of homemade peanut butter cookies my aunt always makes for me.

Arriving home, needed to get back to work on the motor home (dreaded e-brake project!) and all the other assorted 2 wheel stuff. And let's not forget staining the fence and working with the contractor as we build a patio, roof the house and more!

Patio being poured, with Little Red looking on (freshly stained fence in background);
    [​IMG]

Working on e-brake. When we left off, I'd installed it into the dashboard of the MH, but had forgotten to put the cable in first. The cable has to be installed before it is bolted together as it goes thru a slot that is hidden when bolted together. With the cable in place, the housing was slid back in place, bolted together and the assembly ready for re-installation;
    [​IMG]

After re-installing the lever and cable assembly under the left side of the dash, a hole was drilled thru the floor and the cable routed back to the original auto-brake linkage, the auto-brake cable was removed, the clevis from that cable put on the end of the new manual cable and then that assembly bolted back together. This process sounds easy, but I lost count of how many times I crawled under the MH and I'm no spring chicken! lol

Today will be tidying up under the rig, zip-tying the new cable into existing bundles, cleaning up my mess in the interior and sealing the cable where it goes thru the floor. All that will be left on this project is figuring out an elegant way to turn the dash indicator for the ebrake on and off as this also signals the auto leveling system its okay to be deployed and also controls an alarm telling you to raise the levelers if you release the e-brake. Fun. Not.

So on to some fun things. Jungle man came for a visit and brought an SL100 parts bike he'd salvaged. This bike will provide parts for 4 other SL100's owned by Jungleman, Slow Joe, Teeny and Kootenai Rider. The parts bike;
    [​IMG]

The bike has many good little pieces we can all use, but with the kick start shaft snapped off and the amount of rust, it's not a candidate to be saved.

Jungleman decided to tear into the Teeny's SL100 and determine why it runs so poorly. First thing was a compression test, and even though it felt like it had good compression and did not smoke, we were surprised to find only 90 lbs! The book showed it should have closer to 170 lbs, so this is likely the culprit.

Pulling the motor;
    [​IMG]

Starting tear down;
    [​IMG]

And there it is, the piston was very loose in the bore and the top ring was broken;
    [​IMG]

A new piston and rings (and maybe a bore job?) should restore the power to the little SL100. Thanks Jungleman!

While Jesse was here, we did a little tinkering on the CT90, including a new chain (428HD). With the old chain loose and master link removed, the new chain was clipped onto the end of the old one and rolled into place;
    [​IMG]

That is until it got to the new master link and it physically stopped. I'd read about clearance issues with heavier 428 chains, so tried turning the master link around and this time it cleared just fine. I don't like having the master link clip facing inwards but it fit just fine and will leave it at that.

So yesterday we decided we needed a break from the motorhome, house repairs and shop and were going to take a ride on the Triumph. We got our gear on, fired up the Triumph and as we prepared to leave it started running on one cylinder. It was quickly determined we had no spark on the RH side and rather than cancel out little trip, we just jumped in the pickup. It ended up being a nice cruise, we had lunch in Unity at the "Watering Hole", met some locals and had a good time, ended up driving up near the ghost town of Greenhorn and exploring an old rock quarry turned swimming hole.

Now it's back to the grind!

:D
  3. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Read up on early Triumph 790 ignition problems last night, and it sounds like they are pretty common, especially with the "igniter" or black box. Started to do some basic diagnosis this morning, and at first there was no spark on the right side and then it miraculously returned. I started the bike and it ran fine. Intermittent ignition problems, argh! Rather than chase a problem that may come & go and leave us stranded, decided to order the Triumph Twin Power Blue Flame Ignition Kit https://www.triumphtwinpower.com/bo...crambler-speedmaster-ignition-refresh-kit.php, that comes with the igniter, pickup coil, two ignition coils, high tension leads and iridium plugs. From what I've read and the reviews, once the kit is installed it should be trouble free and gain a bit of power as well.

Then it was on to the SL175 as the parts are here to put the bottom end back together.

Here are the kick start parts, at the top is the original shaft and gears that was pretty worn and had bad splines, in the middle is the used set with much better splines and probably usable gears and at the bottom are the new gears. While the middle set might have worked ok, just felt like it wasn't worth the risk of putting it all back together and having a wonky kick start;
    [​IMG]

Disassembled;
    [​IMG]

Ready to go;
    [​IMG]

After lots of cleaning, especially the sump, the bottom end was ready for reassembly. All seals were replaced (except the shift drum, that seal was wrong and is on order) and anaerobic sealer was used;
    [​IMG]

8mm bolts were torqued to 12 ft lbs, the 6mm bolts were torqued to 6 ft lbs;
    [​IMG]

This feels like a small milestone in this project;
    [​IMG]

4. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Quick motorhome update and then on to the SL175; With the manual e-brake lever and cable system now working, it was time to address the electrical side of the old auto park brake system. The challenge was to get the e-brake light in the dash to go on and off with a switch that also controlled the slide out and levelers. Hmmm.

After looking at a lot of wiring diagrams, finally identified this bundle of tan n white wires that control all the e-brake related processes. By experimenting with various wires on each side of a switch, arrived at a combination that switches the e-brake light on and allows the slide out and jacks to deploy.
    [​IMG]

All finished up;
    [​IMG]

The original idea at Workhorse was to make a foolproof system. Instead, what they created was a system so complicated that if anything failed you were locked up and stuck. Our compromise is to put a warning decal next to this switch and instructions on when and how to use. :doh
    Jungle Man and Ozarkroadrunner like this.
  5. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    SL175 clutch and oil pump assembly. First insert shift shaft and place control finger into shift drum pins, then place inside primary gear onto crankshaft (there are two primary gears and the teeth are staggered to match the clutch drum gears), then install clutch drum and oil pump assembly and then set second primary gear into place;
    [​IMG]

I think it goes without saying that each used part is carefully cleaned before re-installing. For example the oil pump screen snaps off the pump and was cleaned before installation.

Original clutch pack on right and new frictions on left;
    [​IMG]

With clutch pack installed, it was on to the oil pump. Some of these parts were pretty banged up, so had bought some good used pieces off of Ebay. I mixed and matched to get a full good set;
    [​IMG]

This was the best of the two sets;
    [​IMG]

Tightening with special spanner socket;
    [​IMG]

Installed with nut lock folded into place;
    [​IMG]

After this photo, the center cover was screwed into place. Then the clutch cover was cleaned and kickstart seal replaced;
    [​IMG]

Installing cover using the new stainless fastener kit;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jungle Man likes this.
  6. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Next up is SL175 LH side cover and associated bits. A big part of any mechanical job on old machinery, chassis or engine, is the cleanup. For every picture of a shiny piece being bolted into place, there was a fair bit of cleaning involved. Here is what the LH cover and stator looked like before cleaning and rewrapping the harness. Also tested the stator with an ohm meter, so as not to waste time on it if it wasn't good;
    [​IMG]

After cleaning;
    [​IMG]

Took terminals out of block to clean as they were packed with grit and grime;
    [​IMG]

After cleaning terminal block, reinserted terminals and wrapped harness. Then cleaned up and greased clutch eccentric and ball;
    [​IMG]

Engine ready for LH cover, still waiting for the shift drum seal to arrive, so can assemble the neutral safety switch and harness retainer;
    [​IMG]

LH cover set into place;
    [​IMG]

Jungle Man and fxray like this.
  7. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Another old bike followed me home, this time it was my great nephews TTR250. This is the same bike that had the busted up carb a few months ago. He'd recently crashed it into a fence post and destroyed the gas tank, and was ready to move on to other projects;
    [​IMG]

It's had a pretty hard life, but reportedly still runs good. My thoughts for this bike are to make it into a barrel racer. Maybe I'll try it out at least once just for fun and then turn it over to the kids so they can compete. We'll see.

The reason I think it would make a good barrel racer is that it is not so overpowered as some of the 450 4 strokes or some of the old 250 2 strokes I've seen compete, where they can hardly turn the throttle coming around the barrels and try to wheelie over. This will be a winter project with so many other projects on the front burner now.

I looked on you tube for some video on barrel racing, didn't come up with much but here's an example;

Jungle Man likes this.
  8. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    SL175 shift drum seal arrived today (along with Triumph ignition kit) so can now assemble the neutral light switch and harness retainer;
    [​IMG]

Ready for seal;
    [​IMG]

Seal in place, along with neutral light indicator switch;
    [​IMG]

Neutral indicator contact lobe, ready to put in place, after cleaning brass contact surface;
    [​IMG]

Contact lobe in place, but note how neutral indicator does not touch;
    [​IMG]

After tweaking switch contacts and getting them aligned with contact lobe, then ensuring continuity with meter;
    [​IMG]

Everything in place and ready for CS cover;
    [​IMG]

Now it's on to the chassis, as time and other projects allow;
    [​IMG]

Jungle Man, U•turn, Ladybug and 2 others like this.
  9. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    The last few weeks have been pretty busy; remodeling continues, moving Teeny to her new abode, replacing the AC fan motor in the roof air of the motor home, helping Vince with his Dodge diesel and finding time to install the new ignition in the Triumph.

Remodel progress (from last week);
    [​IMG]

The good news is it's almost ready for the new metal roof, then we are planning to paint the house and shop.

Roof air conditioning was challenging, most because of climbing up and down from the roof and working under the roof of the shed, it was a bit tight;
    [​IMG]

Happy to report this was a success, nice cold air and no more squealing form the semi seized motor!

The Triumph ignition install was fairly easy, other than the crank position sensor that required pulling the right foot peg and engine side cover;
    [​IMG]

I will write a full report on this ignition install soon, I'm holding off on the write-up as it turned out the new igniter had a problem with the rev limiter and am having to exchange it.

Busy busy! :D
  10. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Customer service, has that become an oxymoron? It sure feels that way. Recent experiences with Triumph Twin Power and Bike Bandit have not been good.

I sent the defective igniter back to Triumph Twin Power in England and let them know it was on the way and requested they please send me the replacement ASAP, they said when they had received my old unit, they'd send the new one. So much for riding this summer. Understandable but frustrating. At least they communicate well and are resolving the issue. :(

Then there is Bike Bandit. Have ordered many parts from these guys over the years and had good results, not sure what's happened, maybe owner or management changed? Placed an order back on July 18th for some CT90 parts and still have not received anything 2 months later. About every 2 weeks I get an email saying my order is delayed. Bear in mind the order was paid for 2 months ago. I even called last month and was assured all would be handled. Not so. I've requested my order be canceled and money refunded, will see how that goes. Fair warning, don't buy from Bike Bandit. Their name says it all. :dizave

No smiley face this time.

:dirtdog
  11. U•turn

U•turn aka U-Turn

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I've noticed that most of the parts on BB that I've been looking at say they ship within 1-2 business weeks. What? I was feeling sorry for myself about the two weeks it took Cycle Gear/ FedEx to move CT200 tires halfway across the country, but two months is a bit much. I do like the exploded parts diagram part of Bike Bandit- that has been helpful when sorting out previous maintenance mishaps.

Hopefully it works out for your trail parts. FWIW DRATV has shipped me what I ordered straight away- what they said was in stock actually was.
    Jungle Man and LC Garage like this.
  12. Ozarkroadrunner

Ozarkroadrunner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I feel your pain with Bike Bandit. I have been slogging my way through a ground up 71 Honda CB750 build using as many original Honda parts as possible. Note this build started with an idea and a 1971 frame. The battery box came from a derelict bike and was badly rusted and pitted. I cleaned it up, treated the rust and painted it. During the process I removed the 4 rubber bumpers that hold the battery stationary and away from the metal frame. One of them tore when I removed it. The other 3 looked like crap and no amount of cleaning made them any better. Too rough to put back on my nice painted battery box. I looked on line and Bike Bandit said they had the parts in stock. I ordered and paid on July 14th. Like you I received emails with a canned message stating the shipment would be delayed. Finally received the parts on September 14th.
    LC Garage likes this.
  13. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    BB used to be great and their diagrams are helpful. Something beyond Covid is going on there as other outfits have adjusted and soldiered on. Maybe they will get it together but their reputation is taking a beating. My friend Keith pointed me to Dr. ATV and have had good success with them so far. Looking forward to next year's step-thru adventures!
    Jungle Man likes this.
  14. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a complex and interesting project. Please feel free to post pics here if you'd like!

Have you tried David Silver Spares across the pond? I think he buys up old Honda inventories and I've found some hard to get pieces from him.
  15. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Just an FYI, have been buried under home renovation projects and am longing to get back to tinkering in the shop. Every time I walk by the SL175 it whimpers at me. The good news is by next spring the size & scale of the home repair projects will be much smaller. Just trying to soldier thru and get the big stuff behind us. :D
    Jungle Man and Ladybug like this.
  16. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Quick house update, then back to wrenching and riding stuff. Major renovations are nearly complete. This morning they are pouring the foundation under the front porch. With that completed and a few remaining pieces of trim installed, the contractors will be out of here. Whew!

We painted the shop two weeks ago and then last week painted the house. We warned the contractor on what days we were spraying (and were running out of painting weather), he said "no problem, we'll be out of your way by then". Surprise, no they weren't! LOL

We pressure washed, caulked, masked off windows and then primed and painted, all while stepping up, over and around the contractors. While spraying the house, I was tripping on construction debris and tools. Little Red said "how can I help?" I said, "clear my path" and she did. Git er' dun!

Recent pics after spraying;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The day after spraying, Little Red, her sister Sue and Teeny were painting window trim. Lots of small trimwork left, but it's coming together. The fat guy is the contractor, his nickname is "Manimal" and we call his crew "Hog Wild Construction", it is all pretty entertaining.
    [​IMG]

Now back to motorcycles! :D
    Slow Joe and Jungle Man like this.
  17. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    WOW, you've really been busy. Things are looking great.
    LC Garage likes this.
  18. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    The replacement igniter came for the Triumph, it was installed and went for a test ride. Wow! I'd forgotten there was a performance aspect to the TTP ignition system, and was pleasantly surprised by the extra punch. I'm guessing a 10% power increase based on seat of the pants. Would love to give this ignition system a 5 star and if it wasn't for the first igniter being faulty would do so. It was fairly easy, the only technical bit was installing the pick-up under the right crankcase cover.

Here are some pics of the full installation.

The full kit includes Iridium plugs and new plug leads;
    [​IMG]

Coils;
    [​IMG]

Igniter;
    [​IMG]

Igniter is held to bracket via weird push together lock pins;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pick-up;
    [​IMG]

The hardest part of the pick-up install was moving the RH foot controls out of the way (and the torx bit I dropped behind the flywheel);
    [​IMG]

When I lost the torx bit, it was in the end of a 1/4" drive adapter and as I swung it toward the pickup coil screw, it flew out of the adapter and disappeared. I kind of started to panic because I thought it had shot into the crankcase via one of the many holes leading directly to the crankshaft. I tried several magnets inserted thru the holes and could not find anything. I thought, "could it be behind the flywheel and stuck to a magnet?" Yep! I had to use a mirror at a very specific angle but I could see the torx bit. Whew!

I plugged all the crankcase holes with paper towel, then got a small slim magnet on a rod and began fishing. I finally bumped it out where I could grab it with a pair of needle nose pliers. You can just see it peeking out behind the flywheel;
    [​IMG]

With the torx bit retrieved, the job became simple again, set the pick-up air gap at .031", was very careful routing the wires and reassembled;
    [​IMG]

Almost there;
    [​IMG]

At this point I was pretty much done;
    [​IMG]

A test ride had the Triumph shutting off at 5,000 rpm. Not like a rev limiter, it just flat out shut off. You had to pull over, cycle the key and restart. It was very strange. I put the original igniter back on and it revved out just fine, but the original problem of occasionally dropping a cylinder returned. The replacement igniter now works flawlessly and hopefully will give many years of good service. Fingers crossed!

After the replacement igniter installed and test ridden;
    [​IMG]

At this point the bike is faster, hopefully more reliable, has a better feel with the foot controls moved rearward and a standard Bonneville seat (Mustang version). For next season will install new tires and probably a very small windshield. It feels more and more comfortable all the time.

Jungle Man, Ladybug and mrsdnf like this.
  19. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Jessie and Teeny working on her SL100;
    [​IMG]

Jessie had the cylinder bored and got a new piston and rings, here they are getting ready to lap in the valves. The valves were pretty pitted so they hot glued the drill chuck onto the valves and power lapped them. Jessie has been very patient, teaching Teeny as they go.

When Jessie comes back for his next visit, they will get the motor together and back in the bike. BBB round two!

20. U•turn

U•turn aka U-Turn

Oddometer:
    Way to not give up on the SL (it was slated to become garage art, no?) I guess that's why you guys are L.C.G.

Nice work on the house and Triumph too. I like the "Blue Flame" plugs wires. Sounds like they belong on a Chevy straight six. :thumb
    Jungle Man and LC Garage like this.