Last Chance Garage

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by LC Garage, Oct 12, 2018.

1. LC Garage

LC Garage On Any Sunday Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    All credit to the SL100 revival goes to Jungleman (aka Jessie), I was kind of sick of it and ready to park it for awhile but Jessie got us revved up on it again. Like all good teams, when one teammate falters, another one picks us back up! :clap

Good catch on the "Blue Flame" moniker from the old stove bolt 6! :thumb You beat our old buddy TwinDuro to the punch on that one! LOL

Thanks for the kind words on the house, want it to be "finished" and ready to focus on more of the fun stuff next year.

:D
    Jungle Man and Ladybug like this.
  2. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    I'm glad the SL100 is moving ahead. I think Teeny will have a lot of fun with it once it's running well and not giving her problems. Jungleman is a good guy.
    Jungle Man and LC Garage like this.
  3. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Working on our flatbed trailer that will haul quads, DR650, etc. when we head South. We bought this trailer about 5 years ago and it'd had a pretty hard farm life before we rescued it. The best part was it had a good frame and newer deck. When we first bought it we replaced a broken spring and wheels & tires, installed a HF winch and not much else. The plan is for new fenders (bought at a farm auction), tongue mounted tool box, new or repaired lighting, forward shield, clean and painting and several other minor details.

Getting started;
    [​IMG]

The old fenders were super ratty, the RH side was much worse. Because the old fenders had an inner wheel well and the new ones do not, decided to trim off the damage and put new fenders over them and they would act as an inner liner and retain the inner wheel well;
    [​IMG]

After trimming off the outer portions and hammering the remainder back into shape, the new fenders were fitted. At this point the new tongue box is just sitting there;
    [​IMG]

The days working outside on the fenders, the low overnight temps were in the teens and the highs were mid 30's. Pretty cold for a skinny old man! The wife went on a trip with her sister and I quickly moved the trailer inside to continue. Here it's now inside and I'm charging the winch battery, which is also being used to test the lights;
    [​IMG]

With new LED corner lamps, wiring tidied up and moving on to building a front shield. Front shield mount will be an angle iron frame;
    [​IMG]

Today will be welding up the shield frame and a few minor rail repairs, then move trailer outside to wire brush and paint (it's warmed up outside), you can also see the new mini photo bombing!

Took a quick run to St Helens this week to pick up the mini;
    [​IMG]

This is a pretty significant upgrade over the old Coleman! Needs just a few things, mainly a front brake.

Jungle Man and mrsdnf like this.
  4. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    Meh, who needs front brakes- they just slow you down!
  5. U•turn

U•turn aka U-Turn

Oddometer:
    Nice start on the trailer rehab. Looks like you guys aren't messing around with the new mini. That has fancier shocks than any of my bikes for sure. I must have nearly crossed paths as I returned last Friday with a future beater from Farmer Chris' farm. Made sure to rip around on the SL while I was there. :D

IMG_20201023_102810~2.jpg
    Jungle Man, AZbiker and LC Garage like this.
  6. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    That's one heck of a new mini LC Garage.

UTurn, I like that future beater.

I'm happy to see plans for next season being worked on.
  7. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Trailer update:

Frame materials are a mix of new angle iron as well as bracing and uprights cut from the packing crate that held Ladybug's new MB200-2;
    [​IMG]

Plywood is from the remodel scrap pile, a new piece was 35 bucks and the house remodel has the budget stretched a bit thin! :lol3
    [​IMG]

After welding was completed, took trailer back outside and wire wheeled all the loose paint and rust off, then rattle canned all metal with rustoleum semi gloss black.

Winch wiring was originally zip tied and duct taped to trailer, now it's inside the tool box. In the final form everything has been protected with loom, grommets, Gorilla tape, etcetera for water proofing and durability;
    [​IMG]

Winch control plug-in port is just above grommeted wires;
    [​IMG]

DR650 tire chock and battery box;
    [​IMG]

Spare is mounted on LH side, just in front of quad;
    [​IMG]

DOT conspicuity tape on sides and between rear tail lights finishes the upgrades (for now). Thinking about adding LED scene lights to front and back of forward shield. Also pondering a mini 12 volt compressor in tool box and possibly jumper cable/charge ports for the battery.

fxray and mrsdnf like this.
  8. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Bike updates;

Jungleman (JM) and Teeny worked hard to finish up the SL100 overhaul. Thanks to JM, the engine has a fresh bore, piston, rings and valve grind, points, coil and the bike itself now has the correct skid plate and footpegs salvaged from the parts bike.

Test rides showed improved power at the low to mid range, but still not fully revving out. We've juggled carbs and parts multiple times, tried different needle settings, but right now it has the original carb body and mostly new internal pieces. JM was going to do some further testng with various carb parts but we may buy another new carb.

Even though we've had good luck with cheap Ebay China carbs, this one initially had a porous bowl casting and makes us suspicious of the carb body and internals, which is why we put the old worn out stock carb back on it.

I need to check with JM and ensure he also has a new condenser, as they can cause problems.

JM and Teeny took their bikes to Fort Rock for an end of season camp out and ride, will get a full report soon. Sorry about no pictures, we were all working too much and didn't think to take any. :doh

So on to the DR650 and the flat front tire:

When the tire went flat, Keith and I assumed a puncture or other failure. Because the front tire was pretty worn anyway, was thinking about a new tire and tube but did consider just patching it;

[​IMG]

Took it apart, inflated the tube and no leak. Soaked it in soapy water, increased pressure, nothing. Hmmm.... Left it overnight, and still fully inflated in morning. :hmmmmm

Finally decided to just replace the front tire and tube, get rid of the full knobby (a skinny looking Battlecross 80/100-21) and go with a dual-sport. Went to the local cycle shop and bought a Shinko E804 90/90-21 as that's what showed as the stock size;
    [​IMG]

You'll note the oily RH fork bottom, that turned out to be a loose allen screw from when fork seals were changed 2 years ago. That was fixed once the bike was back on it's wheels, and with the bikes weight holding the fork internals down, using an impact gun to tighten. :thumb

I'm not in love with tire changing like Kootenai Rider and Loud Al, but over the last few years have tried to be less of a whiner about it. For me, installing the tube in the tire and then spooning the whole thing on with lots of lube and bead buddies has been working;
    [​IMG]

All done, I really like the beefier look of this tire and will probably use one on the rear sometime soon;
    [​IMG]

9. Loudo

Loudo Pithy

Oddometer:
    As one who similarly is not a big fan of changing tires and tubes, you might consider bodging up a changing stand which is simply a car wheel with a threaded rod in the middle that holds your m/c wheel down nice and snug while you attack it with tire levers and whatnot. Mine is seated on steel tube stock so it can be mounted on a trailer hitch. Cost is very little, tire shops have stacks of wheels they'll give away for free.

Especially if you don't have a buddy to help you grunt and curse, a stand makes a world of difference.

This photo I randomly stole from the internet gives the basic idea:
    [​IMG]
  10. LC Garage

Oddometer:
  11. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Yesterday I felt like doing something easy, lately have been grinding away on house and shop stuff, and outside the first real snow of the winter was falling;
    [​IMG]

Inside the shop it was nice and warm, so turned on some tunes (current five disc rotation includes Steve Miller, Linda Ronstadt, Poco, Tom Petty and Southern Rock Gold) and had some soothing shop time with the Trail 90.

A couple weeks ago the long lost Bike-Bandit order came in with the foam air cleaner element and forward pipe clamp and insulator;
    [​IMG]

Working on these old step-thru's is so easy;
    [​IMG]

Didn't want to put the foam element in dry, so squirted on some WD40 and worked it into the element. With that back together, turned my attention to the forward exhaust clamp. It was being held with a piece of bent coat-hanger;
    [​IMG]

That's more like it;
    [​IMG]

Spent a little more time just shining on the bike, and inventorying what still needs done on it. The list includes fixing the horn and high beam (might just be unplugged) a proper battery (still has Teenys old SL100 battery), headlight shell (currently taped together), and missing blinkers, gas canteen, tool kit and air box decal. This morning I ordered a CT90K2 decal for the air box, even though it's not exact for the '76, the K2 is silver and black and will go better with the retro silver downtube cover.

For some reason I enjoy the look of this old bike;
    [​IMG]

Ozarkroadrunner, fxray and Slow Joe like this.
  12. U•turn

U•turn aka U-Turn

Oddometer:
    Lookin' good. Those heat shield clamps must have a habit of getting lost as the CT200 I'm working on only had one. Glad to see that bike bandit came through before June!
    LC Garage likes this.
  13. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    I'm avoiding work on the motorhome, as it involves crawling around on the ground and contorting myself to change the oil & filter, lube the chassis, change the serpentine belt & tensioner and a few other not so fun jobs. :becca

But there sits the poor little whimpering SL175, just wanting a little love and attention. Inside the nice warm shop with music and creature comforts. The SL175 wins! :-)

With the motor finished and just waiting for the chassis to get freshened up, here's where we started yesterday;
    [​IMG]

Disassembly was pretty straight forward, but the swing arm pivot bolt was quite stubborn. Had to dig deep to find my old pickle forks, we used these a lot when we had race cars. This is my smallest one;
    [​IMG]

With generous amounts of PB blaster and kinetic energy, the bolt finally came free;
    [​IMG]

Removing electricals and wiring harness, sorry for the blurry picture;
    [​IMG]

Removing forks, apparently these are 23mm and could not find a metric or American wrench or socket that would work. It finally occurred to me to get out the old Whitworth wrenches and found one that fit pretty well;
    [​IMG]

In my younger days, probably wouldn't have thought to put a bag around this and the ball bearings would have just scattered on the floor. It worked like a charm and caught everything;
    [​IMG]

Here's where we ended up;
    [​IMG]

Frame and other components will get thoroughly cleaned, sanded and painted a proper color (silver gray). The one thing on the frame needing repair is the rear fender support loop;
    [​IMG]

The LH side appears to have been bent, broken and then brazed at some point, leaving the loop higher than stock. The likely cure will be to strip the paint, heat and remove the braze, straighten the pieces then mig weld together. Time will tell.

14. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Started the day at our local car wash. Blasting as much old grease and grime off as possible;
    [​IMG]

Then back to the shop to wire wheel the rear frame loop area and start fixing that;
    [​IMG]

With the paint stripped off, I could see the damaged area had not been brazed, it was all mild steel, so wedged the neck under the Model A axle, heated the bent rear frame loop cherry red and then pried it down with the crow bar;
    [​IMG]

After straightening, used the flapper disc to smooth everything out and looks pretty good;
    [​IMG]

Was getting tired, so moved on to something a bit easier, spent a few hours cleaning up the wire harness and electricals, using acetone, paper towels and Q-tips, also the wire wheel "buffer" on the brackets and fasteners;
    [​IMG]

This switch and harness might have been put in as a security device (?), looks like it switched the battery ground on and off as well as being part of an accessory or charging port;
    [​IMG]

Removed the weird switch & harness and started the cleaning process, the Q-tips were used to clean inside each female connector and nooks & crannies;
    [​IMG]

First round completed, there will be a bit more and some retaping, etc.;
    [​IMG]

The end of a productive day;
    [​IMG]

15. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Rode the CT90 over to Keith's today, to look at yet another step-thru that followed him home. It's a '86 CT110;
    [​IMG]

He's trying to decide whether it's a keeper/fixer or parts bike. Only time will tell.

Ozarkroadrunner likes this.
  16. U•turn

U•turn aka U-Turn

Oddometer:
    That looks too nice to part out. But maybe it's because I'm keeping/fixing/riding junk!

Nice use of the Witworth wrench. I think an old Raleigh bike I had used some goofy stuff like that. :thumb
    LC Garage likes this.
  17. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    A fun piece came in for the CT90, the airbox decal from Dr. ATV;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This decal is actually for a '70, but I liked it because the silver goes better with the retro downtube cover, and the original '76 decal was kind of cartoonish.

Ozarkroadrunner and Ladybug like this.
  18. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Today was spent preparing the SL175 frame for paint. First step before sanding was removing the remaining rubber frame grommets. We do have a few new larger grommets, but none of smaller ones. Jungleman had mentioned using heat on some of the rubber bits to get them to stretch and I thought this would be a good place to try that out. I heated each grommet on both sides and then instead of prying them outward (which usually tears them) pushed them inward;
    [​IMG]

These lower side panel grommets are smaller than the more common larger grommets;
    [​IMG]

All out and without damage;
    [​IMG]

As I began sanding, saw this area near the coils where the original metallic silver paint was still intact, this is what we'll try to match;
    [​IMG]

A couple of hours sanding, and nearly ready for primer;
    [​IMG]

Ozarkroadrunner, Honda-50 and Ladybug like this.
  19. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    SL175 frame is primed. The priming and painting will both start with frame "upside down" so those little nooks and crannies that often get missed are painted first, then when turned "rightside up" you don't have to worry about what you may have missed.

Got the garage bay warmed up to the mid 50's, thoroughly cleaned the frame with acetone and started priming with Rustoleum Automotive gray primer;
    [​IMG]

Once the lower reaches were primed, used the heat gun to set the paint, so frame could be flipped over without smudging;
    [​IMG]

All primed;
    [​IMG]

Today will use the same process for the finish coat, will be using this;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We used this to touch up the SL100 frame and it was a pretty close match.

Ladybug likes this.
  20. LC Garage

Oddometer:
    Same drill as yesterday, this time with paint;
    [​IMG]

Again using the heat gun to dry the bottom so I could flip it over more quickly without damaging the fresh paint;
    [​IMG]

While letting the frame dry for the rest of the day, got busy cleaning the grungy swing arm, using wire wheels, acetone & rags, and then sanding;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then it was time for priming and painting and of course the heat gun between coats to speed things up;
    [​IMG]

All done;
    [​IMG]

The frame is dry and back on the stand, now as each part is cleaned and detailed it can start going back together;
    [​IMG]

Honda-50, Slow Joe, mrsdnf and 3 others like this.