1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Late JUL early AUG NW Trip WY>MT>ID>WA>OR

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Frenchman83, May 26, 2020.

1. Frenchman83

Frenchman83 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello - I'm planning a trip for 11 days of riding starting in Casper WY and making some sort of loop (Pic Below). Staying off highways, mostly paved roads and smaller towns. We will be riding a BMW S1000XR and R1200R so gas is not a real concern. I would like some input on a cpl different things.

1. And suggest for parking a truck and trailer on Casper WY. I know there are a few motorcycle dealers there but wanted to see if there are any suggestions before calling.

2. Planning on hitting Road To the Sun but also wanted to know of any "Must Rides" or places to stay along the rout. Our typical MO is to ride to a town stay for a day or 2 of exploring and moving on. Also read about riding SR 12 out of Lolo West toward ID.

Thanks and let me know if I can provide any further clarifications.

2020 MC Trip.JPG
  2. DelBoy1150

DelBoy1150 Fill your hands!!!

Oddometer:
    20160409_135321.jpg 20160410_175113.jpg 20160414_153912.jpg Bonjour Paul, :rofl
    I have a trip planned my bike is currently in LV and plan on heading to Calgary Canada we fly into LV on the 31 July..... But thats all up in the air (literally)
    I have been touring the US for the last few years bit by bit...
    If you make it over to Origan Loop into Bend as its a really nice town and also dont miss Cratro lake... its fab with great roads. Mount Hood is also nice and if your over that far Whites pass at Mt Ranier and Mt st helens.. Small place to sty in Packwood, Tall Timber, I had a great night there a few years ago..

Au revoir!!

The Irishman From Ireland..
    Del,
  3. El Pacifico

El Pacifico Long timer

Oddometer:
    @Frenchman83 my only input is regarding Glacier National Park’s Going to the Sun Road.

This road is very busy, cars are slow moving, and gets narrow in some areas. We were there last September. Incredibly scenic but unfortunately one is either riding and watching out for all the traffic or looking at the views, hard to do both. There are some pull outs to take photos, these tend to be packed with vehicles but should be manageable on bikes.

My recommendation is to ride this road as early in the day as possible. It will be chilly so dress accordingly.

Logan Pass has a visitor center and there’s a couple short hikes worth doing.
  4. Frenchman83

Frenchman83 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  5. Chipk

Chipk Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did a somewhat similar trip a couple of years ago but started just south of Chicago. Rode out to Great Falls, Glacier, Kalispell, Missoula, Lolo (you should run Lolo Pass, awesome), down to McCall, then Stanley and Yellowstone. Have you already ridden the Beartooth Hwy in north central WY? Simply beautiful, we ran into a little snow coming down the second week of August.

As your heading north towards Solman, straight east about 45 miles in the ghost town of Bannack, we missed it but had I know I would have visited for sure.

And straight east of there another 45-50 miles is Virginia City, also very cool and historic.

We rode into Stanley, ID at night late because we were held up by a forest fire near Lowman and Idaho City. We got into Stanley at 9pm, it was 29 degrees in August! They've got some weird weather thing going on there!

Sounds like a great trip, enjoy!!

Chip
  6. Frenchman83

Frenchman83 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks @Chipk for the suggestions. We have added Bannack and Virginia City to out list.

As a heads up out loop has drastically reduced. Looks like the Northern Cascades and most of Oregon will have to wait for a different trip. Nothing is set in stone yet be there is a lot of exploring that can happen in Idaho and Western Montana. Seems like its hard to hit all 4 corners. Need to split it up E and W or N and S.

2020 Clockwise.JPG
  7. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great ride! There may be some POIs of interest to you here and here . Maybe you'll find something helpful. Hope you have a great trip!
  8. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    the mc gruder runs somewhat parallel yo the lolo,just in gravel.
    our weather is varying much wider the last three weeks,90 today-50s sunday.
    by the time you go thru it should be quite warm.
  9. MTvtwin

MTvtwin noob rymes with boob hehe

Oddometer:
    Are you hoteling it or camping? This summer may be different (less people) but anywhere near National Parks hotels/camping fills up fast; My wife and I had done Glacier a number of times, KOA in St Marie is a great place to stay, complete with pool/hottub. From there bouncing over Going to the sun road el pacifico is correct, lots of people, lots of cars and endless amounts of idiots that dont really watch for anything, not to mention lots of straight down so no room for napping. We bounced over first thing from St Marie, found a campsight on western side, then 2 upd back up the road to see the sights, hike, obligatory pic. Allows you to slow down and really see everything without worry. They also have a free shuttle that runs back and forth and worth looking into.

We are just North of Virginia City so give a shout out when you come thru. Looks like your all slab but if you can manage a but of hardpack dirt road your welcome to camp out, grab a shower, wrench etc. Feel free to PM me if you want more info and stay Rubber side down........
    Chipk likes this.
  10. Frenchman83

Frenchman83 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the information and the invite. How are the roads around Bannack and Virginia City? We are looking at a loop that includes Bannack, Virginia City and Anaconda. Mostly paved but some gravel.
  11. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    If you're going to ride to Virginia City, there's a fun ride southeast of Butte. The paved road includes some good twisties from Wise River on Hwy 43 south through Elkhorn Hot Springs and Polaris to Hwy 278. There is a ghost town (I forget the name) just to the east off the road. Elkhorn Hot Springs is worth checking out - camping, hostel style rooms (bathroom down the hall), and cabins surrounding the hot springs. Good rural Montana bar/restaurant worth checking out.
  12. MTvtwin

MTvtwin noob rymes with boob hehe

Oddometer:
    Slabs are all decent for most part, of course in Montana you have winter and road construction so should be prepared for some crappy delays as well unknowns. Most graded gravel roads around V. City are in good condition as the County keeps them decent. Depending on where you may find some rough if your on forest service roads etc.
  13. Frenchman83

Frenchman83 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just received word that the Blackfeet Indian Reservation has closed access for the foreseeable future and you should not plan on accessing GTTSR from the east any time this year. Has anyone else seen this or something similar in this part of the United States?
  14. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    I haven't checked the current status, but yes, there were reservations in SD, MT, AZ, NM that I remember reading had closed to "through" traffic due to bad COVID-19 outbreaks in those areas. You probably need to check each road that goes through a reservation before you plan on using it.

Gustavo