Later 990 abs removal diagram needed

Discussion in 'Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)' started by phycospecialties, Feb 10, 2014.

1. phycospecialties

phycospecialties Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If anyone has a diagram they can post or send me for the abs and instruments. I tried my dealer the other day but their system was down. I want remove the abs pump (apparently no one has figured this out yet on the later bikes). I'm pretty sure this is possible and will post my findings here. It sounds like there are quite a few interested in this. Thanks in advance if you can help!
    B33P33 likes this.
  2. AlxT

AlxT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What year is the bike? I have the repair manual of my '09 at home so I could try and send you the appropriate pages. What do you need me to look for?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
  3. kinta

kinta Kinta

Oddometer:
    i'm in the same situation, 2012 990. as it stands i plan to remove the pump and keep the electronics as it seems there is no way to get the speedo to work without the abs stuff using the current display.

i believe you can ditch the rear pickup and tone ring but the front must remain.
    the abs light on the dash will also be illuminated all the time.

i'd love to be able to remove the abs electronics as well......
  4. phycospecialties

Oddometer:
    My bike is a 2012. I think 09 was the start of the new style dash so I'm pretty sure you have what I need.:clap I need the ABS and speedo please......
  5. phycospecialties

Oddometer:
    That is my Last resort also. Or I may replace the speedo with a Trailtech Voyager.

The ABS and speedo should use the same Hall effect signal values.

My assumption is on the later bikes the signal is ran thru the pump first and then sent to the speedo.

There would be no reason to change the signal after the pump.

So In theory if I find the input wires to the speedo all I will have to do is wire the wheel sensor up to them and winner winner chicken dinner!
  6. AlxT

AlxT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Check pm...

7. phycospecialties

Oddometer:
    BIG THANKS!!! to ALxT for coming thru with a diagram. :clap From the looks of it, I think this is possible. If it works I will let you guys know:D
  8. RBrider

RBrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How come you want to remove the ABS? Problems ?

I'm interested in a '12 or '13 leftover SM-T , so I'm interested in what you guys who have owned them for a while have experienced.

TIA
    RB
  9. phycospecialties

Oddometer:
    Weight, more storage under the seat, and a better feel at the lever. Nothing wrong with ABS for some. But a lot of us are not fans of the system.
  10. srad600

srad600 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just thought I'd chime in since I've been researching this with a buddy of mine. The only thing for me is, I'd like to retain the stock speedo. We've gone through the KTM wiring schematic for this system and have traced the wiring associated with the ABS. (See below).

[​IMG]
    This is from the ABS unit itself. I've labelled where each of the connectors attach to other systems on the left.

[​IMG]
    This second one is the "H" circuit. This goes from the ABS computer to a diagnostic connector then to the ECU.

[​IMG]
    This is the "B" circuit, and it goes from the ABS computer to a diode, then to the start/stop switch.

[​IMG]
    This is the schematic of all the systems as they leave the stock speedo (the labeled circuits correspond to those on the other pages pictured).

I'm no electrical guru, but from other reports of simply unplugging the ABS, the only real fault to speak of is that the speedo sensor no longer registers speed. From the diagram I can see that the speedo sensor is routed through the ABS unit on these bikes. I'm thinking that soldering a connector between the speedo sensor output and the speedo dash input may solve that issue.

This is based on the assumption that the speedo computer itself interprets the signal and that it is just routed through the ABS unit. But this remains to be seen. :deal
    chevtech likes this.
  11. FakeName

FakeName Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer:
    Willing to send contributions to the PayPal of your choice should you figure this out.:clap
  12. phycospecialties

Oddometer:
    Sounds like we're both at the same place with this. I had time yesterday so I checked all the inputs and outputs to the abs pump with my volt meter.

Here's the problem so far.

The front speed sensor is 12v in with a 1v to .5v pulse. To the abs control unit. (Pin16 and 5 on abs unit)

The signal from the abs unit is. 7.5v to 0v pulse to the speedo. (Pin23 on abs unit pin 3 on speedo)

Also pin 14 on the abs unit sends 11v switched power to the speedo. This is lost when you unplug the abs pump. And easy fix for sure. Just saying though so it's out there.

I was wrong in my assumption that they would not change the signal after the pump so I'm not sure just hooking up the sensor to the dash will work.

It would be great if a owner of a newer non abs 990 could take a reading on their speed sensor. So we can see how their speedo gets a signal.

I'm leaving for a baja trip soon and don't want to tear into her any further before a big trip. So I will have to wait a bit to finish this up. Hopefully we can figure this out.
    chevtech likes this.
  13. Head2Wind

Head2Wind MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer:
    If I recall correctly there was some work attempted on this before, however I don't know if anyone managed to put together a complete solution that did not involve major surgery. I can't find the thread, but I know its out there in ADV OC somewhere.

With a little electronics majik it would be fairly easy to create a square wave 'amplifier' that could take the output of the wheel sensor, trigger off that, and send a higher amplitude version of the input to the speed display. A regulated 11VDC could also be integrated into the board to supply the dash as needed, pretty much off the shelf stuff and circuit designs freely available from the chip manufacturer's.... Its just bread board time and then transfer to a proto board when it works. I would do this for my personal bike, but will not build systems for others like this, I don't want the responsibility for someone disabling their ABS then then blaming me for them crashing.... just sayin.....
  14. srad600

srad600 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just a thought. The wheel sensor on the R models go straight to the speedo correct? Could the solution be as simple as replacing the sensor, then 'hacking' that signal into the ABS speedo?

...sent...
  15. phycospecialties

Oddometer:
    First we need to see what signal the 990r is using. Comparing the two wiring diagrams. 990R vs 990ABS they look very similar with the exception of pin 15. On the R this wire is connected to the FI ecu and the imobilizer (ICU).
    On the abs bikes it is 8v from the abs control unit

Pin 2 and 3 look very similar on both diagrams which is the speedo input for both models.

Can you send me a copy of your wiring diagram it appears to be different than what I have
  16. srad600

srad600 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    PM me your e-mail and I can send you larger photos. The pdf I have is locked, so I can't copy it, but I can do a screen grab as a jpeg. Or you can click on the photos I posted and download them.
  17. kinta

kinta Kinta

Oddometer:
    hello, just wondering if anyone has made any headway on this and could share?
  18. srad600

srad600 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I haven't, but I have not been trying lately. I plan to try a few things when I have more time. If anything goes anywhere i'll post up.
  19. phycospecialties

Oddometer:
    Yea been riding to much to do any more on this. I will probably return to this project in a few months. Stay tuned!
  20. Tizer

Tizer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any updates...?