1. Hey everyone, We’re going to start a weekly email to surface interesting threads in the forums. No worries, you can easily unsubscribe if you don’t find it interesting. If you’re like me, it’s nice to have someone willing to poke around a big community like ours and find the most interesting stuff. Saves time and I hate missing something great. It worked really well when we had someone discovering the best photos for the home page rotation back in the day. And if you have something fascinating to post, maybe this email does everyone some good by getting it noticed. Let us know what you think when you get it. Your feedback will make it better as we go (thread). Thanks! Baldy & rudy1220
    Dismiss Notice

Latest mapping for 990ADV

Discussion in 'Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)' started by azkiwi, Apr 8, 2009.

1. azkiwi

azkiwi message in a bottle

Oddometer:
    So while my bike was in today for a front tire and a fork seal, the tech took it upon himself to update my fuel mapping to the latest ... KTM TB0803 :baldy

I was getting great gas mileage and if htey had asked me, I would have said, "Let's not".

Who else has this map, and what have they done to me?

:lurk
  2. K80JIM

K80JIM Super Tanker

Oddometer:
    So what is great gas mileage? Cuz I think I need it. I'm running around 33 but think it should be around 40-45. Let us know how the new map is and what your mileage was and is after the new map. Nice to see you got the version #. I'm 07 990 with Akrapovic's and stock map. Bike runs great hot and cold, just wish the mileage was a little better.
  3. azkiwi

Oddometer:
    07 stock pipes and map, 16T. 40-45 in mixed riding.

:dunno
  4. Sheep Shagger

Sheep Shagger Show me your fleece

Oddometer:
    If you don't like it you can always request he put the old / original map back.
  5. cpmodem

cpmodem Orange Caveman

Oddometer:
    masa yee yah tee 59° 14' 9" N / 135° 26' 42" W
    So... how's it ride now? is the off/on throttle action any smoother? more performance? :deal
  6. trentdirt

trentdirt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Same here,i'm on an 08 with the same exhaust.I'm getting about 30mpg.Seems to be running rich.Just also trying to get some tips on mapping.thanks.
  7. cyborg

cyborg Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer:

I don't think anyone has sorted out the MFG and mapping on these 990 bikes yet. Not for lack of trying. Still seems to be a big mystery and KTM techs still have only simple diagnostics tools so are of no help. I get 33-38mpg on my 990S and that's after messing with it with Tahoeacr's Tuneboy. I get sporadic ECU errors that point to a bad front cylinder lamda sensor, but the closest shop I could take it to says "we've never seen one bad so we don't stock them" -- but they also don't have good enough diagnostics tools to be able to figure it out anyway, they just look for pinched or damages lambda wires. I hate to take my bike to a shop where they are already prejudiced to there being "no problem", and then have my daily commuter sit in their shop for 2 weeks while they order a part...

I recently rode a friends new 990 Adventure about 700 miles on the California coast, full stuffed HB w i d e luggage and top luggage, mixed riding (I was not pampering it), and that bike still got 40-45 mpg. I'll bet he gets close to 50mph with luggage off. ENVIOUS I AM! WTF!!!?? :cry Just pure f***ing magic, still. Probably a combination of too-small TPS, flaky lambda's etc, etc... who knows. If they ever change the ECU to a unit that can up and DOWN load, it may be better for the tuners to help figure it out. (I used a Sagem system on a Triumph triple and it rocked because of it's real-time interface to a PC).

If anybody figures it out, let us know willya. :deal
  8. azkiwi

Oddometer:
    Updating this;

I just rode from Sedona to San Diego and back, with a 300+ mile day of 'spirited' sport riding in the SD mountains in the middle.

Westbound was with Caribous and pushing a nasty head wind and cross wind most of the way, 65-85mph cruise. Sport riding was without luggage and included some raucous 2nd gear goat trails, down to the Anza and back.

Most tanks I got right around 40mpg, lowest about 38 and highest about 43.

So overall the latest mapping hasn't really affected my mileage significantly. With a 16t and G2-300, I can't say I notice much difference in the fueling either. :dunno
  9. Yzlvr

Yzlvr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone know when the KTM TB0803 came out?
  10. skier

skier genius or insanity?

Oddometer:
    I'm running the stock mapping with Leo Vinces and a G200 throttle cam, boxes, 17-42, knobbies on a 07 990. 10,000mi with 38-46 depending on speed and luggage. Commuting, mountain and desert riding, often 2-up. I'm about 200lbs and ride at 6,000-11,000' elevation.
  11. azkiwi

Oddometer:
    TB 0802 was issued late Sept 07 and 0818 was June of 08, so I guess in between those dates. :dunno
  12. irelage

irelage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can't believe the range that is being reported for gas mileage. I want to get at least above 40mpg. My Ulysses got 48MPG and it was 1203cc. The guyss on the GS Adventure are in the high 40s. If it were not for the poor gas mileage I would have the perfect bike.
  13. Michhub

Michhub Major Medical

Oddometer:
    I pretty much get 35mpg average with the 'stock' map, Wings & 16T front sprocket('07 990)....sad but true, 140 miles the light comes on.
    When I ran the 'Akra' map it went down to 30mpg :huh .
    If I baby it(run around 4k rpm's) I see 40mpg on a good day...this is my only complaint for an awesome machine....have considered Tuneboy, PCIII etc but the Neduro aux tank & 2:1 is more appealing....
  14. azkiwi

Oddometer:
    ya know ... it really is a weird thing. The issue has persisted for years - it doesn't seem reasonable to get a bad batch of sensors ... every year :scratch
  15. skier

skier genius or insanity?

Oddometer:
    Got the new mapping last week on my 07 990 and finally rode some dirt in addition to my daily commute. Low end grunt and quickness off the line seem to be improved. Decel is quieter, mileage seems to be holding up.

600 miles this week gave 39-40 in town, 44 highway and 37 on a 3 hour, second and third gear dirt tour on Missionary Ridge, Burnt Timber Road and Red Rim road, all above 10,000'.

Leo Vinces, g400 throttle, otherwise stock. Pretty happy with the map
  16. big adv

big adv I need supervision

Oddometer:
    did they put in 'stock' mapping or 'akra' mapping?

Earl
  17. Gluaisrothaí

Gluaisrothaí Feckin' gobshite

Oddometer:
    :ear
  18. tac650

tac650 Broken...

Oddometer:
    I have a 07' 990 Adventure with the stock maping and comming back from WA this weekend (on the freeway) I got 46 mpg. So you guys are saying I don't want to change the mapping.
  19. cyborg

cyborg Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer:
    I'm glad to hear some 990's are getting great MPG but it's pretty frustrating for us guys who get in the mid 30's with our 990's no matter what we do. There's something fairly major wrong with the EFI system but KTM shop mechs don't have the tools or knowledge to determine what that might be, like being stuck in "failure fall back rich mode". :ddog
  20. ZOMBY

ZOMBY Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i just bring my 08 990 from 600 miles service i did 32 MPG.