Latest mapping for 990ADV

Discussion in 'Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)' started by azkiwi, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Agave

Agave El Corazón

Oddometer:
    07 990 ADV w/ 2-1 Ackra pipe and map. I get between 30-35 mpg. I'm considering trying the stock map again.... It's frustrating rolling with 7 gals of fuel and still only getting 225 miles.
  2. 1911fan

1911fan Master of the Obvious

Oddometer:
    Hard to figure mpg real precisely due to the way the tanks are filled, but I'm getting about 38. I will need to fill up in a day or so and will recheck. Stock '08 990 that seems to run a little hot with stock mapping.

Slight thread hijack: Has anybody tried the low-temp fan switch kit on eBay?

NCW Mike
  3. chasbo

chasbo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Twisty road riding with lots of throttle twisting gets me 35-39 mpg. I haven't spent enough time on the highway to calculate milesage there yet. Stock 08 here.
  4. 99sleepyhollow

99sleepyhollow JOEY DUNLOP 26 TT WINS

Oddometer:
    You guys think you got it bad .... We pay TWICE the price for our fuel here in the UK compaired to what you lot are paying in the US.
  5. Sheep Shagger

Sheep Shagger Show me your fleece

Oddometer:
    It's closer to 3 times.:D
    Average is about a quid a litre in the UK and about 2 bucks a gallon in the US. So UK is equiv to ~$5.9 a gallon
  6. 99sleepyhollow

99sleepyhollow JOEY DUNLOP 26 TT WINS

Oddometer:
    Fuck up the ass again .
  7. skier

skier genius or insanity?

Oddometer:
    Sorry, they put in the new stock mapping, since the pipes are un-marked, they didn't even think about the Akra.

8. chasbo

chasbo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nearly 200 miles of pristine backroads and state highways today and managed 42 mpg.

If I was trying to be more under control, I could haveeasily hit 45-48 mpg.
  9. Red Barron

Red Barron Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have any updated milage figures for the latest map?
  10. danceswithdeer

danceswithdeer Space Wrangler

Oddometer:
    Had mine done a few weeks back while they were replacing the fuel pump (warranty), and I agree much better all around; travel mileage stayed at around 40-42...moderate off-road dirt roads and two-track, 38-40...single track and sand trails, well, you know how that goes. I like it, and I'll take it.

Next step is the throttle cam, and I should be set...but yes, overall, much better. I went with stock map even though I have Akras. Seems to work especially good at altitude.
  11. Englishmatt

Englishmatt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the Ackra Map, 08-990 with Leos. I cannot get close to 30MPG.

My fuel light comes on at 100 miles (4 gallons used) so that's 25 MPG.

I'm well pissed off. Useless MPG for touring. Stock map gave me about 40MPG.

Bike is totally stock except for Leos.

Hard to believe that I'm gonna have ot purchase the Power Commander, then get it Dyno'd just to get reasonable fuel economy.

I don't ride it too hard, but even when I do (on or off-road) I get about the same MPG.
  12. alphajory

alphajory Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are you sure you need to change the map from the stock to the acra map for the leo's. I have wings left the map the same used the moderate insert and have been good for the last 3k. Mileage on the hyway is 42 riding hard off road it drops to 34. but i do't think there is any way that i could get close to 50 unless i get off and push.
  13. Hipster

Hipster Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have an '08 990 with the stock map and I get 42-46 mpg.
  14. memomemo

memomemo Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Just installed Leo's and have stock mapping..And consumption is just terrible..

Bike use to run with 6 l/100 km highways and 7.5 at city traffic..

Now it s like 10 l/100 km at city..

:huh
  15. IBJim

IBJim WhoUB?

Oddometer:
    This is definitely bullshit. I'm lucky in that I'm in the 45(ish) mpg club, but this level of variation in the same engine is absurd. I don't believe for a minute it's just because some guys are more "heavy handed" than others. If tech savvy guys like you and Tahoe can't sort this out, then KTM sure as hell should!!
  16. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    With different stock map updates, I've always gotten about 35 to 38 on graded road and about 24 to 28 off road. 16-42 gearing.

If I had the knowledge and ability to make a custom map I would, but I dont know what the hell I'm doing. Carbs and jets I understand, FI maps not so much.
  17. Red Barron

Red Barron Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a 2008 that I purchased last June. The map is whatever it came with originally. My mileage runs between 32 & 38. Well 38 to 42 is better than what I am getting now. Guess I will try the newer map.

What did the dealer charge you to install the map? The dealer where I purchased the bike is wanting $100 to update the map and another $100 if I don't like it and want it back to the original.
  18. Englishmatt

Englishmatt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My Dealer is cool, ProMoto in Woodstock. They are not charging me to switch maps, but I don't want to take the piss either.

With Stock Map I got 35MPG Town - 40MPG HWY. I'm cool with that, but the bike certianly does hesitate when you open the throttle after steady crusing for just a few hundred yards.

What kiils me is I love riding the bike. I understand that when off road we get heavy handed and the fuel economy drops....that I'm ok with. What I'm totally pissed off about is the absolutely ridiculous mapping KTM released to ease the lean side of the stock map.

I mean....there's no half way house. It's either really lean on Stock Map or really Rich on Ackra Map....

Paying $379 for the PC III and $250 to Dyno is just seems like a liberty to fix basic mapping issues that should be addressed before it leaves the factory.

Even for the fellas that are getting 40-45MPG....doesn't mean your bike runs at it's optimal performance. I bet your exhaust pops like a cheap balloon and if you're honest about it, you do get the hesitation from the FI.

All that aside....awesome bike....shitty FI mapping.
  19. jnyrav

jnyrav Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone have these mileage figures? I have the new map, 07 with stock pipes and get 35mpg on average...
  20. Michhub

Michhub Major Medical

Oddometer:
    I went to the Dynojet site the other day in frustration....seems they have a new Power Commander V aka PC V with auto tune module(using Wide Band sensors)...they have kits for HD's but not KTM yet....I emailed 'em and got the following reply:

Let me know if you have any other questions Thanks
    Mike Shefler
    Dynojet Research Inc.
    1-800-992-4993