Latin America - many decisions to make

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by crashmaster, Jun 10, 2009.

1. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    Thanks Eduardo. Rain gear (cheap walmart slickers) are packed in the kit. :thumb
  2. Django Loco

Django Loco Banned

Oddometer:
    I have the same problem. My Enduro racing days kick in and I want to take every tool and spare part in the box! It's hard to let go of that!

I've ridden dirt bikes with Recluse type clutches. Makes perfect sense for exactly the situation you've described. Smooth is good in rocks!

I agree. Have used both. Most of the other RTW riders you'll encounter will have hard boxes. But then most don't have much 3rd world experience. Most do it cause they don't trust the natives. With the soft bags, at times you have to Think Different, in terms of security but it's doable and the positive trade offs are well worth it.

I bought a near new pair off Craig's list for $80 a few months ago. (deal of the century!) I LOVE these boots. Believe the Hype! I had Tech 7's before these. The Crossfires blow them away for fit, comfort on and off the bike. Also easier to get into and out. I also have Sidi Dual Sport Discovery boots, which IMO, aren't great.

Obsessing is part of the fun of prep. Now it's time to obsess on having fun
    and exploring some new places.
    Best of luck with the shake downs. Hope we can follow a Ride Report somewhere. Ride safe!
    :freaky
  3. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like these words by DJ :thumb
  4. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    CM,
    The choice of soft luggage is a good one...a hard bag will break your leg if you get in a duckpaddling situation and go down. That's usually a spiral fracture too. Good move.
    When are you leaving?
  5. bouldergeek

bouldergeek Filthy, poor KLR dweeb

Oddometer:
    In truth, the Aerostich hasn't been that bad. Especially at 6000 feet plus in elevation. GTO was 7100 feet, so I have been comfy in the high regions. Still, the mesh would have been better in 90% of my circumstances so far.

I keep underestimating the width of my hard bags, and bang them on columns and bumpers. Soft bags would have really taken a beating, but certainly woul weigh less. I do love having my gear locked down when I am off the bike.

Posting from central plaza in Queretaro, Mexico, prepping to depart.
  6. crashmaster

Oddometer:
    Thanks bouldergeek. I'll see how the soft bags hold up. Since all my quick access stuff will be on the tail bag, I can keep the soft side bags locked up with the pac safe. Will be a PITA at military checkpoints though.

I knock my hard bags against everything, cars, poles, bikes, donkeys, people. :rofl At least my soft bags are not wider than the handlebars. What's really a rude awakening is when you forget you have hard bags back there and start splitting lanes.....:yikes
  7. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    This is an exceptionally moronic statement.

Most of what I've seen of Latin America is NOT third world. I've only been to Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Chile, and Argentina, but between what I've experienced my self, and what I've heard first-hand, most of Latin America is civilized and developed.

I don't trust the natives in Madison, Wisconsin, even though by every standard, Madison is one of the most civilized places in the world.
  8. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1

:eek1

Of course, one can try wearing a catcher's mask and shoulder pads to obtain that fearsome "get outta my way" look when splitting lanes:

[​IMG]
  9. crashmaster

Oddometer:
    Yeah the catchers mask and shoulder pads are good, but I just cant seem to warm up to the ass-less chaps, they dont really suit me. Actually its the forearm mounted mini-crossbow that seems to be most effective. :D
  10. Django Loco

Django Loco Banned

Oddometer:
    Probably cause you never got off the main road! :lol3

Definitions of "3rd world" will vary from Moron to Moron:lol3 ... and while parts of Latin America may appear "Civilized and developed", I would contend that even within HUGE Mega cities, 3rd world conditions are present today. I've been to all the countries you list .. plus: Uruguay, Paraguay, Bolivia and Venezuela. I spent seven years in the region, living, working and traveling. I have returned several times since then for work .... and play.

Granted, Argentina and Chile really are not 3rd world in any sense, but most of the rest of Latin America have 3rd world elements either in their big cities or in more remote areas in the countryside. All have beautiful, up scale shopping areas or gleaming suburbs in the capital cities, but there is more beneath the surface :eek1

Other than Panama, have you spent significant time in ANY of these countries? How long did you take to get from Argentina to the USA? Or did you ship your bike north?

Have you ever spent time just outside Mexico City in the huge, sprawling barrios there, populated by millions of people living in squalor? I worked on a film there ... I spent six weeks in DF ... some of that time amidst some of the worst conditions imaginable, filming in one of the many huge Dumps, Quarries and make shift villages. I saw hidden sections on the outskirts of DF most natives did not know about. The local Mexicans (All Mexico City natives) on our crew were brought to tears just seeing how people lived there.

The squalor of northern Lima area is another very depressed 3rd world area, all this poverty very close to modern, developed Lima.

In the back country too or remote high Andean regions, or down in the lowlands in the Oriente, you can see very UNdeveloped situations.

These are common throughout Latin America, like the area around Puerto Barrios in Guatemala or the areas outside Tegucigalpa or out on the Caribe side of Honduras. Now take Brazil. Unimaginable poverty in the Favella's of Sao Paulo and Rio. I don't know Brazil well, having only been a couple times for a couple weeks. But I got a glimpse ... and it was surly enough to call it 3rd world, and bring tears to your eyes.
  11. bananaman

Oddometer:
    I just rode gravel and narrow pavement through Iowa. Empty houses. Poor people. Not developed at all.

I visited my sister in Detroit. The mayor had just been arrested. Bombed/burned houses everywhere. I was with my daughters. We asked some locals for a recomendation for a good restaurant. They sent us to KFC. And the KFC had bullet-proof glass on the counter to keep natives from stealing chicken.

Chicago and Milwaukee have some pretty nasty slums.

A few years ago I bummed around Bosnia and Herzegovina, with most of my time in Republika Srpska. I can talk squalor and pain, too, but that doesn't make me superior to anybody.

Developed vs Undeveloped, calling a place Third World- slums and poverty don't define a place as third world. Economic disparity doesn't indicate third-world. If it did, then the US is surely 3rd world.

I still think you're a moron.
  12. bananaman

Oddometer:
    Don't take me too seriously. I happen to think most people are morons.

For example, today I bought a horse. His name was "Cody." I thought it was too boring, so I gave him a second name, "Pendant."

say it fast: Cody Pendant.

Nobody gets it. (morons!)
  13. Eduardo

Eduardo Eduardo

Oddometer:
    Hola, We use and hear the term "third world" a lot, and I finally looked into what this actually means, and found it is an antiquated term, and has morphed into all kinds of interpretations, but encompasses many different factors.

In Mexico, Central, and South America the conditions change as you go from one state or department, even one part of a city to another, drastically. Areas in Mexico, for example, which have oil, agriculture, mining, tourism, etc. are well developed and well off, but neighboring areas that don't have natural resources, or economic advantages are underdeveloped or just starting to develop and contain lots of poverty, lack of education, political strife, human rights problems, etc., as DJ has pointed out. And yes BM, we do have some "third world" conditions in the U.S. too, too many in fact for our supposed status in the world. To label a whole country as third world, or "first world" is misleading, and not very accurate, but has become the blanket we throw over the subject.

I find the rules and conditions change while traveling, depending upon the specific area I am in, and to forget or ignore these indicators can be dangerous, and result in some very uncomfortable outcomes.

Taken from the web, interesting stuff:
    The term Third World was originally coined in times of the Cold War to distinguish those nations that are neither aligned with the West (NATO) nor with the East, the Communist bloc. Today the term is often used to describe the developing countries of Africa, Asia, Latin America and Oceania. Many poorer nations adopted the term to describe themselves.

Third World Countries by various categories:
    Third World Countries in terms of Political Rights and Civil Liberties.
    Third World Countries in terms of their Gross National Income (GNI)
    Third World Countries in Terms of their Human Development
    Third World Countries in Terms of Poverty
    Third World Countries in Terms of Press Freedom

Saludos amigos
  14. TengaiJohn

TengaiJohn Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have to agree with everything Banaman posted (except for the horse naming... :evil )

and yes, I've spent many years in South America. That's where I learned how to speak English, Italian & French. At my school in Uruguay we had to learn 4 languages by the time we finished high school.... not bad for a thrid world country.
  15. bananaman

Oddometer:
    I forgot to mention Caribbean places, like Jamaica, St. Lucia, Tortola, and Puerto Rico.

St. Lucia is particularly interesting. It has some extreme poverty. Everyone speaks three languages. In the last thirty years, it has produced two Nobel Laureates.

The answer to the funny name is "Co-Dependent."
  16. BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw Comfortably Numb

Oddometer:
    Got it, but I'm borderline deficient which I think is one step above a moron:evil

Watched a program on the learning channel the other night on Katrina and New Orleans. 3rd world, you don't have to travel all that far:deal

Hope the horse improves with some counselling :D
  17. lunachick

lunachick lurking since 03-01-2003

Oddometer:
    It probably does say rain on the internet weather every day, but really what we've been getting are brief showers almost every day but nothing that lasts and nothing torrential or tropical. It was overcast and cold here today, sweater weather. After living in Roatan for 5 years it's a nice change to be able to do 6 hour dirt rides and not end up with heat exhaustion.
  18. bananaman

Oddometer:
    This is being a good planning thread for Crashmaster. He's going to be able to do his own ride, at his own pace. He'll see his own things.

My ride was mine, and mine alone. Anybody who wants to criticize it can fuck themselves. Anybody who wants to follow me is an idiot. Anybody who wants to laugh at me better buy me a beer.

Once Crashmaster is done, he'll have all kinds of opinions. I can't wait to tell him how wrong they are.

In ten thousand (10,000) miles of South America riding (from Colombia on down), I only met a few travelars- Brian and Marie in Bogota, Gpothaven in Quito, and a nutty German on a hack in Peru. I posted a question, "How many ride Prudhoe Bay-Ushuaia in one year?" and only found one, Boyscout. Later, SgtMarty did it. I certainly did not do the entire ride. It- the ride- is definitely not a common event. It's a personal disaster.

I never left the pavement. This isn't me.

[​IMG]

This isn't me.

[​IMG]

This isn't my bike in Peru.

[​IMG]

I didn't go off road to explore ghost towns.

[​IMG]

I didn't ride into nowhere in Patagonia.

[​IMG]

I wouldn't have the slightest idea how to ride wet ripio.

[​IMG]
  19. bananaman

Oddometer:
    Today the horse kept following me around. Monday I rode him, and I fell off. But then I felt compelled to get back on and explain to him that it was my fault, not his. He disagreed, and tried to drop me again.
  20. crashmaster

Oddometer:
    :rofl