Latin America!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by bananaman, Jan 15, 2008.

1. LaOutbackTrail

LaOutbackTrail Certified Smartass

Oddometer:
    Vaya con Dios. Or more like, GOD HELP YOU!
  2. makinwaves

makinwaves Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lol3

Please, spare us the Disney World ride report! :lol3
  3. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    I'm working at a trade show/convention. The pig is going to be working with me. The pig is the central attraction, the draw, the rock star, baby! I'll be doing a presentation of the ride, my perspective of Latin America, and Why Panama Is The Best.

I can not pass up this chance for irony. I will post a photo of the pig in front of, or as close as possible to, Magic Kingdom. Does anybody here have any pull with Micky & Co? Wouldn't it be awesome if I could give a ride to Snow White, or Sleeping Beauty, or Daffy Duck?

On the way back I'll race anybody who wants to do Deals Gap. I'll get a photo of some crying sport-bike riders, and that will that make up for the Latin America-Disney World Ride Report.
  4. bananaman

Oddometer:
    So I'll be doing my first presentation, which means re-visiting a few thousand photos. I never did finish the Texas-San Cristobal de las Casas part. We rode pretty quickly through Mexico, but that didn't mean we didn't stop for some fun. Tuxpan (or is it Tuxpam?) was very interesting. And the happy hour was amazing! We ordered a beer and a shot, and got four beers and four shots. A little while later, we did it again. Here's proof. I'd say 100 proof.

[​IMG]
  5. LaOutbackTrail

Oddometer:
    How do you pronounce Tuxpan/m? Does the x make an h sound like Xilitla?
  6. bananaman

Oddometer:
    Pronounce it "good tequila." Or, "Happy-happy hour!" Otherwise, I have no idea.
  7. pdedse

pdedse paraelamigosincero

Oddometer:
    The X in Mexico is pronounced like an H when it precedes a vowel:
    So...Mexico and Xilitla have an H sound to them for X. But Tuxpan has an X before a consonant, so...

From

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_Spanish:

"In Spanish, before the conquest of Mexico, the letter "j" was commonly used to denote the sound "sh", particularly with respect to Arabic names and words; for example, Jerez de la Frontera. Today, the "j" would be pronounced as an "h" in English, but hundreds of years ago, it was pronounced as the English "sh"; hence, the origin of the word "sherry" for the famous product of Jerez de la Frontera. "México" was initially spelled to reflect its Nahuatl pronunciation, i.e. "mesheeco", hence one can find Mexico spelled "Méjico" in old documents. As the Spanish "j" was standardized to an "h" pronunciation instead of "sh", the original Nahuatl pronunciation was obscured. The use of an "x" was then more commonly employed, but was still commonly pronounced as an English "h". In all Nahuatl-derived words and place-names, the "x" is properly pronounced as an English "sh", but in Mexican Spanish, continues to be more commonly pronounced as a voiceless velar fricative ([x])."

Tuxpan or Túxpam (<SMALL>IPA</SMALL>: [&#712;tu&#643;pan]) in Nahuatl)

In other words...
    The symbol &#643; in international phonetic alphabet is pronounced as "sh" as in "she"...so Tushpan, I think would be right.

However, I've never been to Tuxpan and have never heard it pronounced. I'm a linguist and Spanish language teacher, so I may be wrong!!
    :evil
  8. LaOutbackTrail

Oddometer:
    I'm a college student, and took an anthropology class and the professor studies native languages of North America.... I remember him talking about Nahuatl and mentioning the X.... of course I didnt remember that until your explanation. I think you are right about the "sh" and that Tuxpan might be pronounced 'Tushpan.' Infact thats how I was saying it before I even thought about the H sound, which was right when I typed up that question.

Gracias
  9. bananaman

Oddometer:
    I have no idea what the Indians were saying but from southern Mexico to the middle of Guatemala everything sounded like there were tons of the "ks" "kt" "tk" type of sounds. The sound I heard most was "k," then "ch." I'm no linguist and I only speak a few languages and none of them very well but my ears aren't completely deaf from shooting and motorcycle riding and listening to my ipod on full-high, but I'm pretty sure that the indians now would say "tukspan," and maybe once-upon-a-time they'd say "tushpan," and right now the Mexicans say "Tukspan," only with a spanish accent.

Btw, I though I'd lost an entire chip of photos- about 1300 of them, from Panama to Colombia. I found them today. I'm uploading them to smugmug now. I might add them to the RR, primarily to motivate a few other riders to spend more time in Panama. And Colombia. In Panama, and then in Colombia, I was so busy riding and fixing the pig that I didn't have time to seek a good internet connection. I had been using the dunkin donuts in front of the BMW shop, and then I used the internet in the Platypus in Bogota, but the connections were so slow that I only uploaded a few shots.

I even found a few more Barb-bikini shots...

Maybe I'll bury a Brab-Bikini shot somewhere in the last 45 pages.

As for karma, I owe one to the border guys in Ecuador. Ecuador is amazing, compared to everywhere else. It was super easy to get into (once I'd paid the $50 bribe to get out of Colombia, but that's a completely different story). I had promised the border guys that I'd post their photo on the internet. They were happy, because, according to them, they are extremely handsome. You can decide.

[​IMG]
  10. bananaman

Oddometer:
    Motivation for the Seguin's. Here's Albert's The Turtles Head, in Quito, Ecuador. You will love this place.[​IMG]
  11. Charles Seguin

Charles Seguin Noob4Life

Oddometer:
  12. j_seguin

j_seguin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    But... but...

Thats not in Panama! :lol3
  13. daveg

daveg no longer homeless

Oddometer:
    I know it is criminal to post pics in other's RR threads... but HEY.. I was there a week or two ago!
    [​IMG]

Strangely though, after traveling mainland latin america, I am much more interested in going to FL after talking to so many ppl who that is the only part in the US they've visited. Plus, you can't beat a miami sandwich cubano.

PS: I threw a 17" rear battle wing with about 70% tread left over the fence as seen in the pic. Come and get it!
  14. bananaman

Oddometer:
    Hi Dave. Will that tire fit my bike? Should I ride down, have a few pints, and then wonder why it won't fit?

The Seguin bothers will be there in a few weeks. I bet that if it's still there, they'll be so busy drinking beer...

I've been spending the last week doing some photo editing. Here's a shot of the slick gravel in Tierra del Fuego. This is the stuff that, when wet or covered with snow, will kick your ass. When it's dry, somehow it's a lot softer than it should be. I felt comfortable at about 50-60mph, and even then, once in a while it got very soft, the kind that gives you the wobblies bad. 15-25mph wobblies are bad, but at 50 or 60 they get damn scary. You guys will be fine, though.

[​IMG]
  15. bananaman

Oddometer:
    Mexico has had a long-term guerrilla-type of war in Chiapas forever. The northern border is a lawless area of drug smugglers and corruption.

Guatemala is just recovering from a long civil war. The indians have practially zero rights.

El Salvador was so destroyed by it's civil war that most of the population lives in poverty.

Honduras had a civil war only 20 years ago.

Nicaragua is recovering from a civil war.

Costa Rica hardly has any indians left.

Panama had to be invaded by the US to remove the dictator the US put there after the US killed the dictator that ousted the corrupt "elected" government.

Colombia is a total mess. Last week the president fired half of the generals and officers.

Ecuador is recovering from a total mess. It can't control the FARC guerillas who operate out of the eastern hills.

Peru's indians are still basically slaves.

Chile hardly has any indians left.

Argentina's president bought her election with millions of cash dollars from Venezuela. Last spring the gauchos revolted by burning the countryside and plunging Buenos Aires into choking smoke. Yesterday a Venezuelan businessman was convicted of being an unregistered agent.

Today we get to vote.

VOTE.

ps: In honor of our right to vote, I would like to formally set aside the Ride Report Rulz while we're awaiting the outcome of today's election.
  16. Charles Seguin

Charles Seguin Noob4Life

Oddometer:
    I don`t drink anymore. I`m retired.
  17. WarLlama

WarLlama belligerent cameloid

Oddometer:
    Great pics, great commentary, great ride. Thanks for sharing. :clap
  18. bananaman

Oddometer:
    Safe en route to Disney World via Evanston, Indiana.

Before anybody calls me a wimp for stopping after only 400ish miles today, I have two or three things to say in my defence. Defense. I like defence better. I'm off it.

I was wondering as I was riding why my left PIAA was angled to the right. A little while later a buck decided to tease me. I teased him back by standing on my brakes. The semi behind me didn't seem to notice anything except me zooming from zero back to 70. Asshole.

My left PIAA is out. I don't know where it went. Maybe to the store for some smokes? Wherever it went, I'm going to have to get a new one. Then I'm going to angle it fiercely to the left because that's where the murdering deer come from.

Usually I like to ride at night because it's calmer and quieter and it's just me and the deer lit with my lights, but without the deer being lit, I guess I'm squeemish. The very nice Pakistani woman who runs the hotel here thanked me for saving the deer for the hunters. She says the night is for vampires, not motorcycles.

Sorry, no photos of all the corn and soy beans or the saving-cream ads for gun rights and biodiesel.

Illinois is very long. I finally bailed and cut into Indiana. Indiana is also long, but Illinois is longer.

Illinois used the be the land of Lincoln but everyone seems to have taped over their license plates and penciled in Land of Obama. Some of them just wrote Obamanation! in the dust on their windows.
  19. bananaman

Oddometer:
    Safe at Atlanta BMW. The pig needed a quick up-spucing before going to Disney World.

Here they're letting me change the oil on the dock out back. They had the light bulb I needed to spot the deer tonight on the big push to Orlando. I'm a hundred bucks lighter, but that's the going rate for a halogen, a filter, and four quarts of pensilvania's best.
  20. bananaman

Oddometer:
    Safe at a motel 6 100 miles north of Orlando. 750 miles today and I declare myself to be done.

I had to change the oil because the oil was a little low before I left but I must have added too much because for the next 800 miles oil seeped from the filler cap in occasional spatters and some kind of fine mist that you couldn't see but that is pretty obviously all over my pants and boot and the inside of the pig and all over, generally. Boxers don't like too much oil. It could have been bad. There's no good, easy way to get any oil out- you have to take off the crash bars, the bash plate, and open the drain plug. Once you open the drain plug, the crush-washer will need to be replaced. Once you take the drain plug out, all the oil will leak out. I'm not going to put the old oil back in. Even if it only had 3000 miles on it. So I put a a new filter on, added 4 quarts, and rode like I stole it. 750 miles, plus an oil change and a new PIAA- not bad for the day-before Disney World, right?

Somebody asked what kind of camera I used to not catch any of the beautiful Tennessee and Georgia fall colors. Nikon D-40 is the answer. Sorry for not being better up to answering but I'm out of riding shape.