Lauren's Redmond Rally photos

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by CodeMonkee, Jul 28, 2001.

1. CodeMonkee

CodeMonkee Geek Adventurer

Oddometer:
  2. CodeMonkee

Oddometer:
    Well, those were the pics, now for the lies:

Wed. the week of the rally I took off out here headed southbound. Promptly got lost around Buckley; trying to find a road that went south and did not end. The Forest ranger told me the road I was on (Evans Creek?) did not go through. So I did some back tracking and finally wound up just south of Randle. At that point you have a choice of FSR 25 or 23, FSR 23 being very scenic, but having about 20 miles of very rough gravel and potholes, having been over it before, not having been over FSR 25, I took 25. Yeah, that's my story and I am sticking to it.

Anyway, FSR25 is a very nice twisty and almost as scenic as 23 (no view of Mt. Adams though) with a great view of a high mountain drainage - the kind you see photos of in books on Alaska and Canuck land. IIRC it was called the Gifford Pinchot drainage. I didn't stop for a photo because I was having to much fun riding the road and I got a late start.

I got down where the road branches off to go to Cougar or over to Hood River - I took Cougar as I was staying overnight with my kids in Beaverton. I got into Beaverton about 7PM and the next morning took off for Detroit at about 8AM to meet up with JP (from the ABC list). We headed out after a refill in Detroit

Here comes the fun part; we were passing various packs of cars and bikes, when I came up on this one string of cars following somebody towing a big Wells Cargo trailer. Well I *thought* I had room to pass them all, but to make a long lie short, I didn't have room and I had to pull back in behind the trailer while going about 90-100 MPH indicated. There were cars in the oncoming lane by that time.

Unfortunately there wasn't much room there as another car was tailgating the trailer. Even more unfortunate was the fact that the cars were all doing about 50-60 MPH and I was still going much faster.

Well, to keep from running into the back of the trailer (I still had not slowed enough), I went up onto the shoulder which was about 2-3 feet of cinder gravel and then drop-off into the woods. Again, unfortunately Oregon has not seen fit to replace the reflector posts along this stretch of highway with the modern plastic kind, and I hit one of the corrugated metal posts with my mirror and pannier.

Here are the results:

Attached Files:

3. CodeMonkee

Oddometer:
    So anyway, I didn't drop the bike due to my superior skill and experience ;-)

I managed to slow it down enough to fit back into line and at the first opportunity I got around that damn trailer and on up the road. JP and I stopped in Sisters to adjust his windshield (Toaster R75/5) and I to show off my mirror (I didn't notice the slight damage to the pannier until later at the rally). JP didn't witness my stunt of darring do - he said he was too busy passing the cars, so I guess I have no witnesses as I didn't know any of the other bikers present. The best kind of lie; one where nobody can dispute you ;-)

We made it into Redmond and registered with no more real stunts to report (at least none I will admit to), and I parked at Airhead Central.

Fred Krumm came around and sold me this thing, called the Air Dam:

Attached Files:

4. CodeMonkee

Oddometer:
    So I put the Dam thing on ;-)

I had to bend the front down a little to clear my bent up fairing and roo bar (yet another damn lie that happened years ago when I first got the bike and managed to drop it at speed).

I took the bike out and didn't notice that much difference, but later, on the way back over the pass I did hit some clean air and noticed that the turbulence caused by the bike itself seemed to be noticeably cleaned up. When I was in traffic or unclean air (side gusts, etc.), I didn't notice that much difference - I think the turbulence from other vehicles, and coming around and over the windscreen more than made up for the lack of turbulence coming up through the bottom of the fairing.

I do think that the Air Dam will prevent a lot of water, mud and other yucky stuff from coming up through there as it pretty much seems to block off that area - but I haven't tried it in the rain/mud/etc. yet. I noticed that there seems to be little or no air coming up through there - I have a piece of cloth on the zipper pull on my hydration bag the lays right about at the steering head, and it is now still except for very high speeds where it barely moves at all.

I also did not notice any change to the bike's handling; no untoward effect even above 110 MPH indicated (about 100 MPH on my bike). I am thinking of taking it off to see if I notice the difference without it. It cost $30 and attaches to the underside of the bottom fork clamp, and will only work on low fender Airhead GS's.

Attached Files:

5. CodeMonkee

Oddometer:
    So now that my bike was all aerodynamic, I decided I was going to make it produce more HP. I went over to the Bing booth and bought some new jets. I put the 150 mains in while in Sisters - but decided those were too big as the bike was not running better at all, so I put in the recommended 145 mains and the bike ran better then. I rode the bike back from Redmond to Beaverton like that and was pleased with the performance.

I decided to come back over the McKenzie and I had a lot of fun on its twisties - except for the schmucks who couldn't read signs and decided to take the 35+ foot RVs over the pass, one of which I almost ran into the back of (yet again - another almost trailer collision) because he decided he was going to adjust the way some bikes were riding on the trailer he was pulling, and he left the trailer sticking out into the road right at the end of a very nice hairpin.

I made it back to Beaverton alive without further incidents worth reporting, and then visited with my parents and kids (it was my daughter's birthday last week). Had some good food at the House of Godd Fortune on Murray Hill in Beaverton. THis is *no lie* - want some good Chinese food at a restaurant with decent ambience while in the Beaverton/Portland area? Go to the House of Good Fortune on Murray Hill.

I tried to put the needle jets and needles in while at my kid's place, but only succeeded in doing one side as the other side has a seized needle retainer screw that I still can't get out. So, I rode it home like that, and the bike runs even better. I can't wait until I can get that other needle and jet changed.

I super slabbed it up I-5 all the way as I was rather tired by then and just wanted to get home - plus it was a bit cooler up here than the 85-90 it was in the Portland area.

So that is about it,
    Lauren
  6. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    I think lauren needs a forum of his own...unless you just want to abscond with this thread and keep it going. Prolly won't have any decent flamewars.

jk.

i got an email response to my redmond gallery reprimanding me for not taking more pictures of people. fuck people. people are everywhere. it's the bikes that are interesting. find an interesting bike, and it's a good bet that its owner is going to be interesting too. at least in my experience. except for baldy. baldy has a fairly non-descript k-bike thing. orange, i think. so the bike's not all that interesting, but the owner is. in a big way.