"Lazarus" 84 KL600 rises from the dead!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Fail-safe, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Fail-safe

Fail-safe n00b

Oddometer:
    My first thread posting comes with great satisfaction! Greetings my fellow Thumpers! It was 30 years in the back of my fathers garage when my son laid eyes on the old dust covered motorcycle. I didn't quite realize what I was getting myself into when I agreed to take on the restoration of my old sweetheart. With 2800 original miles on her, (2400 were mine) I remembered how much fun she was. Long ago, somewhere in the Pine Barrens of Eastern Long Island, NY, while on a full-bore tear, something in the engine let loose, and that was that. Having many motorcycles back then (and now) off to the back of the garage she went, fully expecting to fix her up "soon". Well, soon turned into decades, but it didn't take much urging from my son for me to say "I'M IN!
    A full wash down and clean up to start, engine removal and dismantle, identifying the culprit: factory blunder, one of the crankshaft position plate screws backed out and got chewed up into a million little pieces, making it extremely hard to kickstart. It would run, making the original diagnosis hard. We were looking at the compression release, kick starter mechanism, finally agreeing the engine had to come apart. Then, with the help of my friend, a drag race team mechanic, we changed out all the damaged parts: bearings and seals, O rings, new piston rings just because, a super dyno-clean of all cases and gears, and a meticulous reassemble.
    Needless to say, with all the jump starting, investigation, misdiagnosis, parts orders, parts research, obsolete parts search, assembly, oops! that doesn't look right..,disassembly and re-reassembly,...
    last week we kicked her over, she growled, then sprang to life, turned and looked at me and shouted "Where the hell have you been?"
    We now have ten miles on her and we're so happy she's alive and healthy!!! No cosmetics necessary, she's pretty enough, but blinkers, mirrors, and yeah, some idiot (me) saw a valve on the shock and figured "oh, this must need a little air". WRONG!!! Nitrogen. Any help on if I can rebuild, or a good suggestion for a shock that isn't $700 would be appreciated.
    On the same token, through research, trial and error, I've learned quite a bit. If I can help with your project, I'm around.
    Happy to be part of this ADV crew. All you guys are awesome! Keep it up! IMG_0369.jpg IMG_2226.JPG IMG_0373.JPG
    xrsism likes this.
  2. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks good. The grandfather of the KLR650. Glad you were able to find parts. I would have several vintage Japanese bikes if parts were available. Also good your son is showing an interest in motorcycles.
  3. dougiequick

dougiequick n00b

Oddometer:
    I have this identical bike which I bought for $300 . It was so long ago I can't recall the exact details but the seller was in thumper club (san diego area) and had like 10k miles on the bike and loved it until something went wrong ...I want to say he replaced something in the top end or maybe was doing valve adjust and then could not get it to start ...it was holding him back and he already had his heart set on a new klr650 so he just went and bought a new bike so he could make the next outing ...he put the old bike repair on hold and weeks turned to years and then he was moving and had to get rid of stuff and that is when I bought her...WHY did I buy her? Not to fix her even though the seller really believed it could not be anything to terrible ...no I bought her because I wanted the transmission and the kick starter for my klr650! WHICH I never transplanted ...I never even tore it all the way down although I started to. And here is the thing because I had more money than brains I just for the heck of it bought an almost NEW klr 650 engine for $1000 that was Going TO BE the engine that got the 600 trans and kick starter (along with a big bore kit) ...but I laid off and then got sick and then just stopped messing with my klrs ...I have TWO nearly new '05 650s PLUS the new spare engine plus spare wheels and top end and stuff I bought on ebay via bidding wars ...NOW I moved to a wonderful area to ride, I have a great workshop space and all this klr material to work with....can't make up my mind what to do? Should I rebuild the old 600? Or scrap it? or sell it as "project bike"? OR go ahead with my version of ultimate KLR engine with the closer ratio gearbox and kick starter from 600 and have this spare cylinder I bought bored out with a forged piston ...and send out the spare head I bought and have that modded and new cams? What would be AWESOME would be to slap the new 650 engine into the 600...but it sounds like that won't work on account of the swing arm mounts TO the engine on the 600?? so different cases?? Anyone know of a way to use the 650 engine in the 600? I don't even know if the electrics on the 05 engine could work with the 600's wiring? Or if not if the 600's alternator would transplant to the 650?...would be awesome if there were some relatively easy way to put the NEW 650 engine in the old girl? Then it really would make a nice bike! Would even be worth reworking the suspension I think ...plus I even have in addition to the stock tank, an oversized acerbis tank ...the only thing I missing not motor related is the tank wings for the original tank ...the seller had misplaced them and PROMISED to call me when he found em but never did ...so unless I found some used ones I would have to use the acerbis tank...
  4. dougiequick

dougiequick n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey did the rubber stand outs on the turn signals disintegrate? Is that why there are no turn signals on her? Cause thats what they did on my ol girl! Which btw the newer KLR signals (at least the front ones) are perfect fits...even the wire color and male pins are the same! Because I had actually mounted the headlight from the 600 on one of my 650s and was running it ...but when I went to move the bike to my new house both signals on that headlight fairing were hanging by their wires and the rubber was on the floor in granules....wierd!