1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

LBS-Sidecars USA | A Day in the Life at LBS-Sidecars

Discussion in 'Hack Vendors' started by LBS-USA, Nov 9, 2020.

1. LBS-USA

LBS-USA Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's been great fun and a terrific educational experience launching LBS-Sidecars USA! My thanks to many of you for your good wishes . . . .

Wanted to give you a peek into where we're at, and what it's like to have the world's coolest LEGO and IKEA kits to play with. Just a few months after officially incorporating in the State of Washington, USA, and in spite of pandemic-induced delays and supply chain back-orders, I've received my first two shipment from my partner and affiliate, AD Donkers of LBS-Zijspantechniek in the Netherlands (BLS-NL), and there is more on the way!

Received my first shipments of Leading Link Kits, and in the mix, a custom front wheel - a 17" BMW rear rim for an R1200GSA-LC, laced to the front hub of that model. With a 17" rear wheel already on the sidecar, all three wheels can use the same tire. Front hub was retained as the owner (an ADV inmate!) wanted to re-purpose his stock twin-disc calipers and rotors up front. Ad re-drilled the spoke holes, laced and trued the wheel (front fender for the leading link kit is nestled in the box):

20201109_lbs_17_front_wheel.jpg

For another leading link kit order, these costly but awesome Wilbers 632 "piggy-back" reservoir twinshocks for the front end:

20201109_wilbers_shocks.jpg

And for yet another leading link kit, our standard BITUBO shocks with spring pre-load and tool-less damping adjusters:

20201109_bitubo_shocks.jpg

In my shop, my personal 2020 Gear Up. I'm wiring-up a RIGID Industries LED light bar on the nose, and installing a lovely rosewood custom dash from URAL of New England. In the dash, will be adding a Hella/BMW-style 12VDC outlet for heated clothing, twin 5VDC USB charging ports, a Blue Sea Systems sunlight-readable digital DC voltmeter, and in the tub, a FUZEBLOCK fused power distribution block to replace the OEM unit:

20201108_gear_up.jpg

A client back East has delivered his fully-option R1200GSA TwinCam for an up-coming build. Will rig our new LBS GS+URAL chassis to this, along with an URAL sidecar body, its (body-to-chassis) suspension system, an URAL fender assembly, and a trailing arm suspension with a custom hub designed to accept a stock BMW 17" Cross-Spoke rear wheel, integrated brake, and an inline brake proportioning valve:

20201108_lbs_adv_gsa.jpg

Another R1200GSA TwinCam - the Ural tub and fender assembly, and color-matched TT Desierto Fairing (in the box) also waiting on delivery of an LBS GS+URAL chassis from LBS-NL:

20201108_lbs_adv_rig.jpg

No room for this one yet in the shop, an R1200GSA-LC rigged to a DMC chassis/body for a local rider signed up for the next GlobeRiders adventure. Already installed a set of @Stroker's bullet-proof rotary-forged Advantage wheels all-around on this one. It's back for an LBS leading link install, along with a GPR V5 Steering Stabilizer kit:

20201108_franks_rig.jpg

Meanwhile, back in Holland, Ad has completed the re-design and upgrade of our STEPLER sidecar. The goal was two-fold, improve the suspension to take the punishment of off-pavement operation, and a major push for overall cost-reduction - both goals achieved!:

20201101_stepler_black_01.jpg

20201101_stepler_black_02.jpg

In the pipeline, another R1200GSA TwinCam GS+URAL built with a leading link kit, a 2020 R1250GSA-LC with an LBS BOXER body and leading link kit/custom front wheel, an R1200GSA with an LBS OVERLAND kit and leading link, and our latest foray into something new, a BMW R18 with an LBS BOXER body, leading link kit, and a custom front wheel.

More on these later, stay tuned!
  2. High Octane

High Octane Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Those some pretty cool projects. I’m jealous
    LBS-USA likes this.
  3. LBS-USA

Oddometer:
    German-made, impressive product! The set shown above are the 632-series, with single-stage rebound damping adjusters. For another client, I have a set of the 642-TS "all black" shocks on order for his leading link front suspension, these have both high and low speed compression damping adjusters, a rebound adjuster, and manual spring pre-load adjustment. Looks forward to seeing these!:

20201109_wilbers_642ts_shocks.jpg
    SLACKER and MGV8 like this.
  4. LBS-USA

Oddometer:
    In this photo, Italian and German stereo "twinshocks" for our leading link suspension kits, a WARN Industries AXION winch and receiver mount, our very own trail-reducing lower fork cross brace, a bunch of marine-grade electrical components from Blue Sea Systems, and the actual links for the aforementioned leading link kits:

sidecar_goodies_01.jpg
    rg sw wa., steam powered and DRONE like this.
  5. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Trail reducer lower triple clamp AND leading link? The LL you sell doesn't reduce the trail from stock? Or is this a pic of a bunch of bits going on different bikes?
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  6. LBS-USA

Oddometer:
    :imaposer Yes, a sampling of the accessories and LBS components I ship direct to owners, or will be using across a number of builds ;<)

OTOH, increasing "negative trail" would eventually "negate" the need for a steering damper :imaposer!
    rg sw wa., Bobmws and Strong Bad like this.
  7. LBS-USA

Oddometer:
    Fun day yesterday! Took delivery of my first URAL Sidecar Kit from the URAL/IMWA headquarters and warehouse in Redmond, WA. Stopped by Five Guys for (curbside delivery) of their great burgers and the best fries around (even better than Dicks, after all, Five Guys uses peanut oil!). No photos of lunch, but here's some eye-candy from inside the warehouse!

In the foreground, my 2020 Gear Up, going to a new home, in for a quick courtesy warranty check to clear any flags and insure the throttle bodies are in sync, don't want the new owner to have ANY reason to be unhappy! But it's two outfits in the background that are of interest!:

imwa_01.jpg

Previously announced, but if you didn't see the posts, the prototype of an "inspirational concept", the URAL Electric Sidecar, a well-executed mash-up of an Ural cT and ZERO electrical motorcycle's powertrain (for more info, here's the URAL link: https://www.imz-ural.com/electric/ ):

imwa_03.jpg

imwa_02.jpg

imwa_04.jpg

imwa_05.jpg

imwa_06.jpg

This has to be the highest amperage "sidecar harness" in motorcycle history!:

imwa_07.jpg

The future? For this adventure sidecarist, not until they have recharging stations in Patagonia and across the Kalahari! But I applaud the concept!:

imwa_08.jpg

And of course, I'm biased as I have one on order, but I was finally able to get up close and personal with Svetlana's handiwork, and my new fave, a 2021 +GEO LE!:

imwa_09.jpg

imwa_10.jpg

imwa_11.jpg
    X1Glider, TurTal and rg sw wa. like this.
  8. LBS-USA

Oddometer:
    APR 2021 - Random shots in the shop:

Photos of the 2021 URAL +GEO Limited Edition above were taken of the demo unit at URAL HQ in Redmond, WA (rumor has it that it is now on loan to our very own @Baldy !). Photo below is my very own, purchased from (IMHO) the finest URAL dealership in the Americas, Raceway URAL in Salem, OR. As if it isn't already farkled and blinged up enough, I'm starting on my own mods and upgrades when I have time between customer builds:

20210402_083745.jpg

Also from Raceway URAL, a first for them, a custom-built R1150GSA rigged to their own modified URAL chassis, a collaberation between LBS-USA, Raceway URAL and the proud owner, our very own @GR8ADV ! @GR8ADV is completing the build inb my shop. We you can see, we are currently installing our leading link on the tug:

20210402_083748.jpg

20210402_083918.jpg

Below, part of a growing collection of new, used and take-off wheels for this year's confirmed builds, to include perhaps the last two sets of our very own @Stroker 's awesosme rotary-forged modular aluminum Advantage 15" Wheels. One set finished in black going on @GR8ADV 's outfit (first in the stack below), and a unique set in polished aluminum that I'll be installing on my STEPLER highway touring rig:

20210402_083808.jpg

Set-up a dedicated worktable fgor @GR8ADV's build, tools, and components. He's doing the bulk of the work himself. Once we get the brake system sorted, flushed and bled, we'll begin electrical design, layout, and wiring:

20210402_083816.jpg

Meanwhile, my own TwinCam/LBS GS+URAL project languishes, as clients come first!:

20210402_083831.jpg

Inbound from Holland as of yesterday, a palletized crate of kits and components from Ad at LBS-NL, shipping via DHL Air Cargo Express, containing a subframe, leading link and fender for one my two next projects, the BMW R18 rigged to our BOXES sidecar, and the other, our very own @MGV8 's R1200GSA-LC/LBS OVERLAND build - they're both going to be awesome!
    zookster, Stroker, Baldy and 3 others like this.
  9. MGV8

MGV8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice Shop tour, Looks like you're overflowing with Sidecar fun. It will be fun to see how you fit the new additions in and still keep it as neat and tidy.
    fujinator and LBS-USA like this.
  10. LBS-USA

Oddometer:
    Hah, posits the guy who has a stack of wheels taking up space in my shop :jack!
    Bobmws, fujinator and DRONE like this.
  11. Baldy

Baldy Founder of ADV Administrator

Oddometer:
    Hey Mike,

Congrats on taking delivery of your new Geo!!! I hate to say it, but it doesn't look right. Here's a few photos of the one I'm riding from this morning:

IMG_0669.jpg

IMG_0657 2.jpg

I'm comin' up your way end of April and maybe we can get yours looking right by then.

(I have a stop in Mojave first for Harley's First Ride event for the Pan America! I'll get that bike lookin' right too.)
    zookster, MGV8, Strong Bad and 5 others like this.
  12. Stroker

Stroker motorcycle traveler Supporter

Oddometer:
    It’s much better that some of those wheels are taking up space in your shop than in mine!
    LBS-USA, Bobmws, TurTal and 2 others like this.
  13. TurTal

TurTal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh man...that dirty engine is really workin my OCD

Please...somebody...anybody.....soft paint brush & distilled soapy water...Stat !

Bobmws likes this.
  14. LBS-USA

Oddometer:
    Hey @Baldy, someone certainly looks happy to see Grrampa getting his +GEO properly broken in - priceless!

Look forward to a visit when you make it up this way - we can compare +GEO camo. Haven't even hung a license plate on mine yet. Those who know me know I just can't leave well enough alone, am doing a complete lighting upgrade all around on mine, in addition to replacing the NITRON shocks with Shock Factory 2WINS (I believe in and use the products I've elected to be a dealer for, and they're every bit as good), have @TurTal 's cool hydraulic clutch kit to install, am building another Rosewood dash for the tub, and have a couple of pounds of factory fasteners to replace with stainless hardware.

We'll keep a light on for you!
    zookster and MGV8 like this.
  15. LBS-USA

Oddometer:
    I'd be honored to store your wheels in my shop any time, as many as you can make mi Amigo!
    MGV8 likes this.
  16. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hope you have been able to find a replacement supplier for your Centerline wheels!
  17. Stroker

Stroker motorcycle traveler Supporter

Oddometer:
    As ya’ll know I’m always shaking the bushes trying to find more Centerlines to work with. Thanks for the opportunity to build wheels for your rigs.
    Strong Bad likes this.
  18. Baldy

Baldy Founder of ADV Administrator

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the compliment but I R her gramps... And she's one of our youngest grandkids.

Can't wait to tour your shop.
    LBS-USA likes this.
  19. LBS-USA

Oddometer:

Noted, corrected (daddy -> grampa!). Slowly modding the +GEO, but took it out for a quick spin today. Continues to amaze me that URAL pilots don't appreciate good suspension. Though not an extensive evaluation, I honestly doubt I could tell the ride/handling different between the NITRON shocks, or the Shock Factory 2WINs that I import. Will be pulling the NITRONs and replacing them with a 5-pack of the 2WIN shocks, as they say, if I'm gonna' talk that talk, I gotta' walk that walk (or something like that). Although I'd hardly call the ride/handling "supple" (not much one can do to overcome the limitation of only 3 inches of stroke), the compliance of the NITRON and 2WIN shocks makes a world of difference, I didn't chip a tooth even without a mouth guard!
    Baldy, zookster and DRONE like this.
  20. LBS-USA

Oddometer:
    Baldy, DRONE, Gerg and 2 others like this.