1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

LBS-Sidecars USA | Ad's (New) Personal Favorite

Discussion in 'Hack Vendors' started by LBS-USA, Jul 24, 2020.

1. LBS-USA

LBS-USA Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Completed just in time for Europe's annual Summer Holiday, Ad Donker's (founder - LBS Sidecars, Netherlands) new personal outfit; a 2008 BMW R1200GS + URAL Sidecar + LBS Chassis & Leading Link Front Fork:

gs_ural_10.jpg

gs_ural_09.jpg

Chassis is a new design, purpose-built to accept the all-steel URAL sidecar body and its excellent shock-isolating mounting system. I asked Ad to design this kit this as I believe it will be my most popular build:

gs_ural_02.jpg

Robust subframe is a work of art:

gs_ural_03.jpg

. . . as is our Leading Link Fork Kit. Ad fitted it with a modded rear BMW 17" cast wheel (same wheel as the pusher). Sidecar uses the same rear wheel. All three tires could be the same. To keep steering light, a motorcycle front tire, and for better wear and traction, automotive tires for the pusher and tub. The Leading Link Fork also allows mounting a wider tire, moto or auto. As the hub is designed for a single disc rotor, a larger disc was installed, and twinned calipers provide stopping power:

gs_ural_04.jpg

Sidecar's hub accepts a BMW wheel. Integral hydraulic brake has a manually adjustable proportioning valve; brake adjustments are a thing of the past (biasing can be adjusted without tools):

gs_ural_01.jpg

Probably not a standard option on my builds, this rig has a fully implemented BMW ESA shock absorber:

gs_ural_06.jpg

Below, the URAL's mounting system. In front, two rubber bushing are clamped under the body's hose, creating a pivot axle. In the rear, two welded mounts for shock isolators between the body and chassis.

Ad wanted a more highway-oriented outfit, he chose lower-profile, solid rubber shock-isolators. For an adventure outfit, I'd install OEM URAL "snowmen"; taller rubber isolators to provide more travel (redesign also has internal compression springs), and I'd install three of them. The suspended body, in addition to the wheel's suspension, not only de-couple mass of the sidecar body and load, but make for a softer passenger ride. Note the STEPLER body in the background!

gs_ural_07.jpg

I will be stocking Ural sidecar bodies and mounts. I have three of these GS+URAL chassis on order. My first full-on build for a client in MN is this kit, configured as an adventure outfit, mated to his 2012 BMW R1200GSA "TwinCam" oilhead.

gs_ural_11.jpg

gs_ural_12.jpg
    MGV8, claude stanley, KCDakar and 6 others like this.
  2. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is the front shock of common dimensions so that aftermarket can be considered?
    rg sw wa. and ktmtraveler like this.
  3. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    I really like this design. Clean and sweet. The last pic showing the ground clearance is great. Not convinced I'd want an ESA shock on the car, though. The secret to this design is the front wheel. That is some kind of trick. We've seen a rear rim with front hub before but on a spoked wheel -- he's done it with a cast wheel and somehow made it look factory!
    rg sw wa. and LBS-USA like this.
  4. LBS-USA

Oddometer:
    The Leading Link Fork kit can be ordered with different shock absorbers. We can supply Touratech, Wilbers, BITUBO and others.
    rg sw wa. and motocopter like this.
  5. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am really looking forward to installing my LL with the Wilbers I selected.
    A45506FC-053F-4C65-A28B-A5BEE607DA15.jpeg
    rg sw wa., motocopter and LBS-USA like this.
  6. LBS-USA

Oddometer:
    That's going to be one awesome front end!
  7. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    @LBS-USA Could you please PM me a price for a LL front end for my 2007 BMW 1200GSA? I would be sourcing the shocks myself, and using my Stroker's wheel. No stabilizer tabs needed, I use a Scotts damper.
    LBS-USA likes this.
  8. LBS-USA

Oddometer:
    PM sent, thanks!