1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

LBS-Sidecars USA | Adventure Sidecar Build Thread #4 | 2018 BMW R1200GS Rallye + OVERLAND

Discussion in 'Hack Vendors' started by LBS-USA, Feb 2, 2021.

1. LBS-USA

LBS-USA Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Super pleased to announce that our very own @MGV8 , apparently under water with his "Honey Do" list, the refitting of his current adventure rig, breaking/making trail with his snow trail grooming machine, and general remodeling projects, has commissioned me to build our ultimate adventure touring sidecar for him, his 2018 BMW R1200GS Rallye Liquid-Cooled rigged to our LBS OVERLAND kit!

The full build will include:
    • LBS OVERLAND Kit
    • Detachable passenger cargo box with bench top seat
    • Passenger cargo box seat secured with two E-track tie down rails
    • Front and rear weld-on Class II hitch receivers for winch
    • Sidecar hub adapter to accept 17" BMW Cross-Spoke wheel
    • Integrated sidecar disc brake tied to ABS system, with inline manually adjustable brake proportioning valve
    • Tilt-forward front spare tire carrier with 17" BMW Cross-Spoke spare wheel
    • Rear upper tilt-away cargo rack over the trunk cargo box
    • Auxiliary fuel cannister
    • LBS Leading Link Fork Kit
    • 17" BMW Cross-Spoke wheel on front end
    • LBS Bigass Single Disc Rotor with Siamesed/Twin Disc Caliper Carrier

Here's a photo of @MGV8 's 2018 R1200GS Rallye LC with salient colors tagged that will be applied to the OERLAND kit, rigging and subframe:

Slide2.JPG

This is what an OVERLAND kit looks like, this one obviously mated to a KTM, and with a different feature set:

KTM 950R Super Enduro 2012 054.jpg

Three photos of the upper and lower chassis in current fabrication at LBS-NL:

lbs_overland_build_01 - Copy.jpg

lbs_overland_build_02.jpg

lbs_overland_build_03.jpg
    Jimr80gs, Bobmws, SLACKER and 3 others like this.
  2. mikepa

mikepa SideCzarist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seattle, WA in the Great Pacific NorthWET (USA)
    Wheel hub machined and installed, temporary 17" cast wheel fitted for the next phase, dry fitting the chassis to the tug:

lbs_overland_build_04.jpg

This is a top-shelf build for @MGV8, note the leading link front end, with our BigAss disc rotor, and Siamesed Twin Caliper Carrier:

lbs_overland_build_05.jpg
  3. MGV8

MGV8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The excitement builds
  4. LBS-USA

Oddometer:
    Sorry about the photos, I have to work with what I'm sent . . . . Leading link and chassis components were delivered by the powder coater today.

Note the corner gusseting at every chassis frame member intersection

Next up, the upper "cage" will be powder coated blue to match the livery of the Rallye!:

20210227_lbs_overland_02.jpg

20210227_lbs_overland_01.jpg
  5. LBS-USA

Oddometer:
    I'm loving this build. @MGV8 , aka Brian, is an awesome guy to work with. The photos Ad has been sending (with me furiously Photoshopping as best I can, he really needs to buy a new phone!) are all we've seen, but it's looking good!

As @MGV8 has requested a chassis color-matched to his gorgeous Rallye, we color-matched as closely as possible based on the European RAL color coding system. The chassis is black, the superstructure is powder coated blue:

20210308_overland_01.jpg

The floor was powder coated also, as Ad doesn't like the look of "natural" (AKA "oxidized") aluminum:

20210308_overland_02.jpg

And here are the two lower rigging components, with the front and rear Class II hitch receivers welded on and coated:

20210308_overland_03.jpg
    zookster, Strong Bad, Bobmws and 4 others like this.
  6. MGV8

Oddometer:
    I'm going to be some what nervous to ride this one. Of course after the first bug splat all bets are off. The vision is coming together.
    norton(kel), Miggins1, Bobmws and 3 others like this.
  7. steam powered

steam powered just a regular punk

Oddometer:
    Mike, is the double chassis setup standard, or is this a one off?
  8. Miggins1

Miggins1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is going to look superb when finished.
    Rakthi and LBS-USA like this.
  9. LBS-USA

Oddometer:
    This is a standard, documented and tooled product. In a sense, it's no different in modularity than a fiberglass or metal body-on-chassis design, the body in this case is a steel "cage".
    Strong Bad, MGV8 and steam powered like this.
  10. LBS-USA

Oddometer:
    Only photos from Holland today. Metallic silver powder coated components are back from the powder coater, that phase is done. All the components and hardware should be kitted for shipment by the end of this week. After that, order a custom palletized crate, then box it up, get air cargo rate quotes, and get it on its way to my shop:

20210310_overland_04.jpg

20210310_overland_03.jpg

20210310_overland_02.jpg

20210310_overland_01.jpg
    Miggins1, Strong Bad, TurTal and 4 others like this.
  11. MGV8

Oddometer:
    Now we just have to get borders open so I can get the bike to Mike's shop with out having to have it crated and air freighted as well. :-)
    This is turning out way better than first expected
    Miggins1, Bobmws, LBS-USA and 3 others like this.
  12. TurTal

TurTal Long timer

Oddometer:
    By now everybody knows that Mike builds extremely high quality top of the line sidecars

What they may not know is that with every build Mike installs a beautifully hand crafted Italian cappuccino machine on the rig

Filtered water supply...dainty little cups...embroidered napkins and placemats...cookies....everything!

Hell...for just a tiny upcharge you can even get a Butler that doubles as your riding buddy....aka butler monkey

Male Butler comes standard however you can get a smokin hot Female Butler but your wife has to sign some kind of paperwork or something bla bla bla

I tell ya...you just don't see this kind of attention to detail anymore

It's very impressive

Rakthi, norton(kel), Miggins1 and 4 others like this.
  13. MGV8

Oddometer:
    I didn't know that, Mike?? :lol3 Just so you know. A while back I had a choice, sports car and a Blonde or a new side car. The side car is cheaper according to Mrs. MGV8. :deal
    Bobmws, zookster, fujinator and 2 others like this.
  14. LBS-USA

Oddometer:
    Dammit Brother, I told you to keep this under wraps until the rig and "Svetlana" was ready for prime time :sweeti!
    norton(kel), Miggins1, Bobmws and 4 others like this.
  15. TurTal

TurTal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oooops
    Miggins1, Strong Bad, MGV8 and 2 others like this.
  16. LBS-USA

Oddometer:
    Hmmm, I dunno, your OVERLAND is gonna' give a lift to the Dutch economy (no offense intended!). Isn't there an old saying, "If it flies, floats or, you know, that "f word" . . . .
    MGV8, Bobmws and TurTal like this.
  17. Bobmws

Bobmws Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer:
    That's what happened to your thumb, huh?! :-)
    TurTal likes this.
  18. norton(kel)

norton(kel) Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mike should hire TurTal to write his sales brochures!:D
    Rakthi, LBS-USA, Gerg and 1 other person like this.
  19. LBS-USA

Oddometer:
    It's D-Day (as in Delivery)! Posted these pics also in my R18+BOXER build thread, but they're also totally relevant to this R1200GSA-LC+OVERLAND build as you'll see . . .

After making a multi-airport hop from Holland, then Belgium, the two hubs in the USA, the container with the OVERLAND kit was delivered to the IMWA warehouse in Redmond, WA. Here it is being ready for loading, on it's way to my shop. Client @GR8ADV made the tactical error of showing up at my my shop to continue wiring up is cool Raceway R1150GSA+URAL build, and got roped into picking up the crate for me in his lovely Ford F-250 diesel:

20210408_ship2_02.jpg

Opening up the crate shows everything secure and undamaged:

20210408_ship2_03.jpg

Here's the naked OVERLAND. As you may recall, @MGV8 's build is rigged to his Rallye edition, so to match the tug's livery, a first for LBS, a three-color power-coating finish, to include a metallic silver to emulate the peened silver finish on the bike's engine guards and handlebar:

20210408_ship2_04.jpg

Here the rear quarter view:

20210408_ship2_05.jpg

The two cargo boxes have already been broken in, loaded with all of the powder-coated weldments required to assemble both this OVERLAND build, and also a concurrent R18+BOXER build I am updating in a separate thread:

20210408_ship2_07.jpg

And laid out for inventory and un-taping, the leading link kit, fender and subframe:

20210408_ship2_06.jpg

Many of my builds include client-requested Touratech shocks. However, a leading link requires twinshocks, and for obvious reasons, Touratech only carries monoshocks. Touratech shocks are manufactured by Tractive (like LBS-NL, also in Holland, 15km from Ad's shop). At my request, Tractive assembled these beauties, the first-ever top-of-line Tractive shocks for our leading link kits, part number is "LBS-USA". With Touratech shocks on the rear and sidecar, all shocks will be in the same "family", and I'm thinking @MGV8 might be "influenced":

20210408_ship2_08.jpg
    zookster, fujinator, TurTal and 7 others like this.
  20. MGV8

Oddometer:
    My Goodness. It's killing me with anticipation plus the fact that I can't be there for the un-veiling.. Ah? You sure those shocks are for me? You sure they are not for your URAL, they are Orange :lol3
    fujinator, TurTal, LBS-USA and 2 others like this.