1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

LBS-Sidecars USA | Adventure Sidecar Build Thread #6 | 2012 BMW R1200GSA + Ural

Discussion in 'Hack Vendors' started by LBS-USA, Aug 3, 2020.

?

So, let's try a popular vote, should the chassis, rigging and subframe be:

1. Black

8 vote(s)
    53.3%
  2. Orange

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Red

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Yellow

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. LBS-USA

LBS-USA Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Welcome to my first "official" build as LBS-Sidecars USA, LLC! A 2012 BMW R1200GS Adventure "TwinCam", an Ural sidecar and mounts, @Stroker 's rotary-forged aluminum modular Advantage wheels on all three "corners", Touratech Explore shock absorbers, and LBS custom chassis, rigging, subframe and leading link forks.

At the risk of inciting "Sidecars Wars", I believe this configuration creates the most-capable, robust and field-serviceable long-range adventure sidecar one can own for exploration with a companion (whether two-legged, or four), or solo. Standard features in every build I'll deliver:

• Leading link fork with trail adjustment, retains stock disc rotors and calipers.
    • Leading link fork and Advantage wheels allow mounting identical 15" tubeless automotive tires on all three wheels (optional 17" Cross-Spoke or cast wheels allow mounting automotive or motorcycle tires in any combination).
    • Chassis has trailing arm with dual sealed axle bearings (no trailer axle!), and hub designed to accept BMW rear wheel.
    • Integrated sidecar brake, plumbed into bike's rear wheel ABS circuit.
    • Inline, manually adjustable brake proportioning valve for no-tools-required bias adjustment between bike's rear and sidecar brakes.
    • All-metric stainless steel hardware (unless a higher-strength grade is required).
    • Marine-grade electricals, fully-tinned wire, double-crimp connectors, power and ground buss, fuseblock and relays as required.
    • Single cast aluminum trailer-style plug and receptacle for bike-to-sidecar harness.
    • HEX ezCAN-bus interface controller.
    Currently waiting on chassis and wheels to be delivered.

You've seen the prototype, designed and fabricated at LBS, Netherlands. Ad Donkers previously owned a low-slung Harley outfit. He built this LBS+URAL GS chassis at my request, and liked it so much, it's now his favorite personal rig. He and his partner are currently on a two-week tour during the European Summer Holiday break for a long-distance road test (which is why I'm waiting for the three chassis I've ordered :():

gs_ural_09.jpg

Here's the tug, and the painted tasty bits. The color is a Mercedes Benz Blue Grey (that's how they spell it). Looks more blue that actual due to the fluorescent lights in my shop:

20200731_sidecar_01.jpg

My painter, Dean Miyauchi, has done great work for me on our bikes, autos and boats over the years. Masking off the gloss surfaces in preparation for the U-POL Raptor chipguard is super time-consuming, but allows for creative application of the Raptor. The Raptor coating also has the advantage of adjustable texture at the nozzle:

20200731_sidecar_02.jpg

20200731_sidecar_03.jpg

20200731_sidecar_04.jpg

Best possible color match comes from painting the tug panels the same color (duh). Touratech Desierto fairing now comes with a bonded aluminum logo in sliver. Dean heated the adhesive, pried it off, and shot it in the more familiar yellow, using left-over touch-up paint from my Stepler!:

20200731_sidecar_05.jpg

Won't be any updates until the end of September when the chassis should ship, but I'll start posting updates once it arrives.
    MGV8, Stroker, Rakthi and 7 others like this.
  2. TripleDaddy

TripleDaddy Hoping my skills exceed my horsepower

Oddometer:
    The paint / Raptor bedliner looks great!
    LBS-USA likes this.
  3. LBS-USA

Oddometer:
    It's been a while, but finally had some time to work on Build #6! Still waiting on chassis and a front wheel from our very own @Stroker, but am doing a parallel assembly and pre-wire of the URAL bodies I have on hand (my friend an hack apprentice Al in the photo):

20210116_152135.jpg

Am going to skip a bunch of "deconstruction" photos and steps to get to the good stuff. @DRTBYK just completed his install, @MGV8 has a running thread on his install, now it's my turn to install one of our leading link kits!:

Front quarter view:

20210118_085701.jpg

Side view:

20210118_085718.jpg

Rear-quarter view:

20210118_085730.jpg

This owner's cookie jar not as "well provisioned" as @DRTBYK and @MGV8 - they ordered the top-shelf Wilbers 642-TS suspenders, the (somewhat) less costly Wilbers 632-TS's installed on this one:

20210118_090026.jpg

Next up, installation of a GPR Rotary Steering Stabilizer:

20210118_085757.jpg

. . . but this week's "Daddy-Do" list includes installation of a hi-output alternator, 2nd battery holder, 2nd battery, automatic charge relay and pure sine wave inverter on my son's Toyota Tundra, so putting sidecars on hold and going to work on a 4x4 this weekend.

Attached Files:

SLACKER, fujinator, Bobmws and 4 others like this.
  4. LBS-USA

Oddometer:
    As I'm still waiting on a chassis and a front wheel, finished installing what I can on the leading link. And I just had to install a couple of the custom-painted tasty bits:

r12gsaTC.jpg

Got the GPR rotary steering stabilizer installed. Though an actual test ride is a ways off (like, a loooong ways off), am pretty impressed with how variable the damping is from just moving the bars from stop to stop, both slowly, and quickly. Virtually no damping at slow speed, will make parking lot maneuvering easier. When moved quickly, the damping really kicks in!:

20210122_193129.jpg

20210122_193202.jpg

20210122_193139.jpg

20210122_193152.jpg