1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

LBS-Sidecars USA | First Shipment of Leading Link Forks for Oilheads

Discussion in 'Hack Vendors' started by LBS-USA, Sep 24, 2020.

1. LBS-USA

LBS-USA Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    (I previously received a shipment of leading link fork from LBS Sidecars, Netherlands (LBS-NL), back in the day when I was just happily retired, building sidecars for my own personal use, and for friends. The following is my first shipment for LBS-USA!)

In spite of COVID-induced delays from factory shutdowns, back-orders on finished materials, hydraulic brake line fittings, and shock-absorbers, super happy to have received notification from DHL today that my first commercial shipment of LBS Leading Link Fork kits are awaiting US Customs clearance in Cincinnati, OH, and should be delivered to me by end of month.

Shown at LBS-NL prior to packaging, four sets of components (all for R1150GSA Oilheads thru R1200GSA TwinCams). All European, all metric, all stainless steel hardware (unless a higher-strength fastener is required).

20200924_lbs_leading_link_01.jpg

One going to an owner in British Columbia, Canada for self-install, the 2nd for a client's R1150GSA/LBS Chassis/URAL I'm currently building, the 3rd for an up-coming R1200GSA Twincam/LBS Chassis/URAL build, the 4th for my STEPLER outfit (customers come first!).

20200924_lbs_leading_link_03.jpg

Touratech shocks were spec'd for the builds, and I'll be installing them on the GSA's. But of course, Touratech only carries suspenders for mono-shock bikes, so to keep things in the family, we're ordering twin shock kits direct from Tractive for the front end (Tractive supplies shocks to Touratech after all), and Tractive happens to be a Dutch company, located a scant 15 klicks from Ad's shop in Holland.
    draperg1, zookster, rg sw wa. and 3 others like this.
  2. High Octane

High Octane Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can you share the shock specifics for the 1150? I’m trying to decide between a TracTive or Hyperpro for my build. Ted Porter has made his recommendation for a TracTive shock, I’m just curious to see what you and Ad suggest.
    draperg1, rg sw wa. and LBS-USA like this.
  3. steam powered

steam powered just a regular punk

Oddometer:
    Maybe an edit on the thread title.
    :-)
    I see these are all twin disc LL rather than the single disc version that Ad built for his GS, any comments on why you prefer one over the other?
    And how about an install thread on the LL please?:thumb
    rg sw wa., LBS-USA and mikepa like this.
  4. LBS-USA

Oddometer:
    Hah! Noted, corrected, and thanks (on the edit!).

And on the discs/kits, also correct! These kits are going to be installed on Oilheads that have one of @Stroker 's awesome rotary-forged Advantage wheels insgtalled (I've helped @Stroker sell a few of those over the years, and also, myself!). As these are a direct replacement for the OEM wheel, so we can re-purpose the OEM rotors, calipers,wheel speed ring (ABS tone ring), etc., which saves cost.

Regarding Ad's leading link, that lovely rig (of which everything but the bike is going to one of our very own inmates, who has a home in Spain, and is having Ad build him a BMW Twincam/LBS Chassis/URAL outfit) has a custom Cross-Spoke 17" front wheel, fabricated from the rear OEM rim, laced to the front OEM hub (Ad does this). And Ad loves the bigass single rotor, with twin calipers on riding the disc.

It all works, it's all good - embrace the diversity! We're a minority (sidecarists) as it is!
    draperg1, Stroker, zookster and 3 others like this.
  5. LBS-USA

Oddometer:
    @High Octane , just to insure I'm parsing this correctly, you are looking for our selection for twin shocks for a leading link front end, correct? If so, please let me know your current shock type (as we design for eye-to-eye mount), free length, and stroke length.
    draperg1 and rg sw wa. like this.
  6. steam powered

Oddometer:
    Thanks, only asking because I have been emailing with Ad and am about to place an order for a single disc LL front end for my Twincam.
    :rayof
  7. High Octane

Oddometer:
    Actually I’m most in need of a rear shock for my build. I’m leaning toward a TracTive that Ted Porter (Beemershop) sells or a Hyperpro from EPM. Some day I may replace my Ikons on the LL but they are brand new with the EZS LL, so I’ll give them a few miles before replacing. Here is a link to Ted Porters suggestion. Is this the same shock you and Ad use?

https://www.beemershop.com/product/...te-of-the-art-shocks-tractive-suspension.html
    draperg1 and LBS-USA like this.
  8. LBS-USA

Oddometer:
    The Tractive twin shock sets noted are for the leading link front fork kits, as they require two shocks (the OEM shock for the TeleLever is replaced with a rigid strut).

For the rear shock on the bikes, my build clients have requested Touratech shocks:

- For the R1150GSA builds, I am installing a TOURATECH EXPLORE REAR SHOCK, BMW R1150GS & ADVENTURE, Item # 041-5860

- For the 2010 thru 2012 R1200GSA TwinCams with standard shocks, I am installing a TOURATECH EXPLORE REAR SHOCK, BMW R1200GS & ADVENTURE, Item # 044-5862

- For the 2010 thru 2012 R1200GSA TwinCams with ESA shocks, I am installing a TOURATECH PLUG & TRAVEL ESA UPGRADE REAR SHOCK, BMW R1200GS & ADVENTURE, 2007-2013 (OIL COOLED), Item # 044-5830

- For the 2013 and newer Liquid-Coolers, a TOURATECH PLUG & TRAVEL DYNAMIC REAR SHOCK, BMW R1250GS, R1200GS, 2013-ON (WATER COOLED), Item number depends on year, suspension height ordered, with or without ESA or DESA.​

Beemershop is an excellent company and has a great reputation for customer service. You can't go wrong with their recommendation. I am an authorized Touratech dealer, so it's no surprise that I recommend Touratech product. That admitted, over the many years and miles as both a guide and customer on GlobeRiders tours, and our own self-guided tours, we've had great success, and to my knowledge, zero failures on bikes with Touratech (Tractive) shocks.
  9. High Octane

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Is there a reason you don’t go with the remote hydraulic preload adjuster on the 1150 Gs builds?
  10. LBS-USA

Oddometer:
    My goal is to build for safety and reliability. On the international tours I have guided or participated in, shock failures are one of the most common reasons a bike (or sidecar!) has to be recovered and trailered. Depending on the make/brand/construction, hydraulic preload adjuster failures may or may not be "catastrophic" (failure of the preload adjuster may not necessarily result in failure of the shock itself), but they can and do fail. When I've seen a shock fail, it's usually either due to a preload adjuster blowing its seal(s), or an ESA or DESA-related fault.

I prefer the simplicity of a "straight" shock, no external adjusters or reservoirs. Fewer points of failure. And of course, there is the cost issue. A sidecar build with a leading link front-end normally requires four shocks. The cost of a Touratech rear shock for an R1150GSA is $220 more per shock vs. a standard shock.

So, preload adjusters and remote reservoirs are perfectly fine for highway rigs, if the owner is willing to pay the cost, and finds real value these features. An adventure rig, optimized for off-pavement operation, should have a simple and robust suspension system; the shocks and loads imposed from off-road operation are way higher than on-pavement, the shocks are working almost constantly, the duty cycle is higher, the shocks are working much harder.

But, that's just me of course, YMMV!
    draperg1, zookster, davebig and 3 others like this.
  11. High Octane

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Makes sense.
  12. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    In my years of off road racing, I've seen a shit load of shock failures, so my mileage does indeed differ by miles. The single most common shock failure is a seal failure and the most common reason for seals to fail is from heat. Current state of the art for 900hp, 135mph Trophy Truck that race the Baja 1000 is a remote reservoir, triple by-pass shock like this one from King:

King Shock.jpg

Or King's coil over remote reservoir shock:

King remote res.jpg

Or this from FOX:

Fox bypass shock.jpg

Remote reservoir shocks help tremendously to keep the shock fluid cool, preventing a loss of viscosity and seal damage from heat build up. There have even been some efforts to liquid cool the shocks in order to increase reliability. If a shock as complex as a remote reservoir, triple by-pass shock can take the pounding of a winning Trophy Truck in the Baja 1000, I suggest it isn't the complexity of the shock, but rather the quality of the product.

I was extremely luck to have had Gil Vaillancourt of Works Performance shocks (a close personal friend) build a custom set of shocks for my rig. His main concern was heat build up on my tub's rear shock, so he built a special reservoir shock where the shock fluid travels out of the shock, through an inlet into the reservoir, returning to the shock after traveling all of the way through the reservoir and not just a minor amount of fluid sloshing back and forth between the shock and reservoir.

Shock reservoir.jpg

Unfortunately Gil passed away and the company turned into a shit show. After highly recommending Works Performance, I was very disappointed, left with a lot of egg on my face after fellow inmates had major issues.
    draperg1, zookster, rg sw wa. and 3 others like this.
  13. LBS-USA

Oddometer:
    All true, couldn't agree more, the main function a shock serves is to convert kinetic energy (mostly) into heat. For an off-road racing suspension, the shocks take a brutal punishment, remote reservoirs and heat sinks keep shock seals and valving from melting. But for the more conisdered (and hopefully slower?) pace of off-pavement sidecaring, the seal failures I've seen can generally be attributed to having taken a bigass "hit" from a pothole, rut or ridge, too much SPEED, and a lot of weight. In fact, operator error in a sense. Your remote reservior set-up looks 100%. not an option for most of us!
    draperg1 and rg sw wa. like this.
  14. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Having grown up in the off-road racing community has spoiled me when it comes to shock performance expectations. Unfortunately since Gil’s passing, I no longer have the option either.

What I was hoping to point out is that the average shock sold to Adventure style people is still in the Stone Age when compared to the current state of the art. Much more complex shocks thrive in much, much harsher conditions. Taking a big hit from a pot hole should not damage a shock. Riding on washboard or dirt roads with “baby heads” in Baja is exactly what Gil had in mind, not racing at breakneck speeds.

The choices available to the average Adventure type shmoo are limited and expensive. But still if the more complex components of these shocks are failing, it speaks volumes as to the quality of the individual shock company, not the style of shock.

In my not so humble opinion, I think Ohlins is pretty much the gold standard for “off the shelf” motorcycle suspension.

BTW, I still think you are doing a great job and please keep up the good work!
  15. LBS-USA

Oddometer:
    First commercial set of leading link forks delivered, undamaged, by DHL. Here's the initial unboxing:

20201005_leading_link_01.jpg

Here's the unwrapping, one set for an R1150GSA, two for R1200GSA TwinCams. Those big machined aluminum rigs? Adapters to properly space the front disc rotors for @Stroker 's rotary-forged wheels:

20201005_leading_link_02.jpg

Fenders, shipped unpainted, but the gelcoat is near-perfect, could be installed "as is":

20201005_leading_link_03.jpg
  16. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    I noticed that Slacker's rig uses a moto tire up front on what looks like a modified rear BMW rim. But all three of these are destined to use Stroker wheels up front with car tires?
  17. mikepa

mikepa SideCzarist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seattle, WA in the Great Pacific NorthWET (USA)
    Some pilots prefer a mix, moto tire up front to reduce steering effort and make the front end less sensitive to road surface pertubations, rain grooves, and an auto tire for the pusher for mileage and traction. And yes, all three of the GSes these LL Kits will be installed on have @Stroker 's wheels up front, all using auto tires.
    steam powered likes this.
  18. steam powered

Oddometer:
    Slacker's is an unmodified BMW rear rim, although not a camhead GS rear rim as it is running a 170 wide moto tyre.
  19. MGV8

MGV8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    With Mike's help, mine is coming. Delayed it a bit as it will be made with the single disc and use a stock rear wheel. I'll be using all Moto tires. Maybe I am disclosing a future build thread.
    LBS-USA, High Octane, brstar and 4 others like this.
  20. motovate

motovate Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wondering if you have installed your leading links onto DR650's???? Thanks

LBS-USA likes this.