1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

LBS-Sidecars USA | Good Things Come in Three's!

Discussion in 'Hack Vendors' started by LBS-USA, Nov 11, 2020.

1. LBS-USA

LBS-USA Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I saw my first STEPLER sidecar (originally, an SBW Sidecar, it's a long story) undergoing a refit at DMC sidecars years ago when I was down at Jay's shop with Helge Pedersen. It had been imported by a rider in OR, who wanted the safest possible outfit to travel with his disabled daughter, at any price. That massive, unique roll bar, welded directly to the chassis, with much of the external space frame hung off of it, a unique feature of the design.

The original SBW was designed and manufactured in England - as a left-hand drive outfit. If I have my story straight, the original owner paid Watsonian to covert it to right-hand drive, and they "did not execute well". The rig was at DMC to get it sorted out:

FB_IMG_1573054889632.jpg

I fell in love with the radical design and years later, when the opportunity manifested to buy the prototype, I jumped on it, had it air-shipped from Holland, spent a year refitting it, and if you followed my build thread(s) here, you know the rest . . . .

LBS-NL is now crating the our first, re-designed LBS/STEPLER for shipment to a US customer who will do a self-install, and we're ready to provide lifetime helpdesk to assist him in that journey:

20201111_stepler_kit01.jpg

It's a "Black on Black" beauty!:

20201111_stepler_kit02.jpg

To my knowledge, this will be only the third STEPLER in all of the Americas.

I was recently down at our local "BMW Gateway to Adventure", South Sound (BMW/Ducati) Motorcycles in Fife, WA, to pick up four wheels for builds I have in process, and snapped this photo of my personal STEPLER, on display in good company:

20201111_stepler_south_sound.jpg

Good things come in three's!
    CCjon, Strong Bad, Jimr80gs and 7 others like this.
  2. MGV8

MGV8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I too, lusted after a Stepler from the first time I saw one. My practical gene has kicked in so sadly it is not the Car for me. Maybe someday but for now something much more practical for me.
    LBS-USA and rg sw wa. like this.
  3. TurTal

TurTal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Congratulations

That is some beautiful craftsmanship

Outstanding

LBS-USA and rg sw wa. like this.
  4. LBS-USA

LBS-USA Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks @GR8ADV. As it is a prototype, it is a bit rough. The new design is simpler, stronger, and less costly, but the engineer in me is happy to have one of the originals!

That noted, can't wait to see your subframe and rigging when it's done. The WIP (Work-In-Process) photos are encouraging! That is the most hell-for-stout trailing arm I've ever seen on a sidecar chassis!
    GR8ADV likes this.