1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

LBS-Sidecars USA | Just the FAQ's Ma'am

Discussion in 'Hack Vendors' started by LBS-USA, Jun 27, 2020.

1. LBS-USA

LBS-USA Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    As previously posted in the Hack Forum as @mikepa , I'm in acquisition mode for my next build.

Touratech shipment:

build10_001.jpg

2012 BMW R1200GSA TwinCam + Ural Body (hah, I parked some PFD's there just for grins when I stowed my wife's kayak):

build10_002.jpg

I'm going legit, income reporting, taxes, it all starts with this one document:

LBSUSA-LLC-Certificate.No-UBI.jpg

. . and as I wait for final permits and licenses to be processed, I'm authoring content for my website. I started with a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) page, as it it covers the What, Who, Where, When and Why. At the risk of breaking into jail, I'm posting the draft here. Forum contributors are a wealth of information. I ask for your corrections, suggestions and comments.

It's really long.

FAQ: LBS-SIDECARS USA, LLC

[WARNING!: 1,600 words, 10,000 characters, you’ve been forewarned!]

FEEDBACK: Keep me honest! I do my best to be factual. If you find omissions, errors, or have knowledge to share, let me know please! My email alias is:

JARGON: The wonderful and at times wacky world of sidecars has its own jargon, and it varies not only within a country, but between as well. To reduce confusion, I will use the following jargon “in the conduct of business”, and website. Of course, YMMV:

Combi: a motorcycle with an attached sidecar, hack, or chair. In the USA, although helmet laws differ, a Combi is considered a “motorcycle with accessory” and is usually insured as such. It is generally not a special category of motor vehicle. Other than those specific to a motorcycle itself, there are no inspections, regulations, title, or registration changes required to build and operate a Combi, to build and sell a Combi, or to sell components to build a Combi. WA State (where I live) was the first to require a special Trike/Sidecar endorsement. I was grandfathered, but I took the sidecar training to obtain an endorsement anyway. I hope other states follow; a Combi is not a motorcycle!

Bike: the motorcycle attached to a sidecar.

Body: a sidecar’s body (body only)

Cradle: all the components of a Sidecar, minus the Body, Chassis, wheel, fender, and Rigging. The components that interface the Rigging to the Bike.

Chassis: all the components of a Sidecar, minus the Body, wheel, fender, Rigging and Cradle.

LBS-NL: LBS Sidecars (LBS Zijspantechniek), Netherlands. Founded by Ad Donkers, who I consider the world’s finest sidecar engineer, designer, fabricator, builder. LBS-USA is an affiliate of LBS-NL. The LBS-NL website may be found (you may want to invoke a web translator) at: https://www.lbszijspantechniek.nl/

LBS-USA: that would be me, a WA State registered LLC (Limited Liability Corporation), doing business as LBS-SIDECARS LLC, USA. I will build a (very) limited number of mid-to-high-end Combis, and offer sidecar kits, bodies, leading links and components to both Shops and Owners. I am a sole proprietor (aka, a “one-man shop”).

LL – leading link front-end. The opposite of a trailing link suspension. Installing an LL is one of several methods of reducing steering effort by reducing trail. The front wheel is suspended ahead of its pivot point through a link. Other advantages may include a reduction in front-end dive under braking, increased resistance to side load-induced flex in turns. One variation of a LL is called an Earle’s Fork. For a primer on motorcycle forks, check out: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycle_fork#Leading_link

Owner: owner of a Bike, Combi or Sidecar.

Rigging: all the components of a Sidecar, minus the wheel, fender, and Cradle. The reaction arms, struts, arms or dog bones that interface the Chassis to the Bike.

Shop: a commercial business that builds sidecars to customer spec.

Sidecar: a one-wheeled device attached to either the right or left side of a Bike. A sidecar is comprised of a Body, Chassis, wheel, fender, Rigging, and Cradle. All the sidecar components taken together, minus the Bike.​

The Q&A | Who What Where When and WHY: Just the FAQ’s. Should you have other inquiries, my email address is:

Q: Who are you?

A: My name is Mike M. Paull. I have a Sidecar addiction. I live in Kenmore. I am LBS-SIDECARS USA, LLC. I am Inmate mikepa, and Hack Vendor LBS-USA on www.advrider.com

I am a sidecar bawd (look it up!). There, now I’ve said it; one who accepts something of value to me, in return for use of something of value to you. Yes, there are synonyms . . . not going there. Fortunately, in this scenario, we delete the descriptor “my body” and insert instead: “my experience and skills in design, procurement and the building of things”. Top of list – a passion for touring by Sidecar.

And with enduring respect for sidecarist and virtual friend Hubert Kriegel (1946-2018), the world’s most travelled sidecarist I’ve ever heard of, I may be one of the world’s most-traveled living hack pilots. If you know of another, I’d love to be proven wrong, please contact me! My travel maps (plains, trains, automobiles, BMW GSes, sidecars, business and personal), Courtesy of TripAdvisor, my travel map:

mytravels1.jpg

Hubert chronicled his years on the road in French and English on his website:

Q: What services do you offer?

A: I am a motorcycle accessory installer and supplier. I install supported Sidecar kits on Owner’s Bikes. I supply selected Sidecar kits, Bodies, components, and accessories to Owners and Shops.

For Owners – I will help you build a Sidecar. I will share what I know or believe and admit what I do not. I will do a limited number of mid-to-high-end Combi builds. I will install accessories for your current Sidecar or Bike, whether it’s one of “my” builds, or not. I will supply what I am authorized and able to sell. I will install accessory electrical systems on Owner’s Bikes and Combis, or upgrade existing ones, to include interfacing to CAN Bus on supported BMW GS Bikes.

For Shops – I will help you build a Sidecar. I will share what I know or believe and admit what I do not. I will supply what I am authorized and able to sell. All boats rise with the tide. I am not a competitor, consider LBS-USA as coopetition (NOUN, collaboration between businesses in the hope of mutually beneficial results).​

Q: Why are you doing this?

A: I am passionate about motorcycles. I have a special and deep fondness for Sidecars. I’m thrilled every time I pilot one. I love building. I am retired. As my wife tells friends, “My husband needs his intellectual stimulation”. Sidecaring is a rich tapestry of challenges. I enjoy design. I love being hands-on. I hope, in my own nanoscopic way, to raise the build quality of Sidecars built in the USA, by Owners and Shops alike.

Q: Why are you hiding your website?

A: “Under construction.” “Coming soon.” I have registered my domain. I am learning Squarespace. Your patience is appreciated.

Q: Where are you located?

A: USA, WA State, PNW (Pacific NorthWest), Greater Seattle/Eastside, City of Kenmore.

Q: What are your qualifications?

A: I have never built a Sidecar in exchange for money. I have never owned a business.

A: I have (sorry, long, my “all about me” time):

· Served a 3-year enlistment in the U.S. Army. Basic at Ft. Leonard, Missouri Ozarks. AIT (Advanced Individual Training) as a Missile Fire Control Technician, Army Air Defense School, Ft. Bliss, Texas. Deployed to 32nd AADCOM) Army Air Defense Command), Germany.

· Owned a bunch of Japanese and German bikes, and American, Dutch, Russian and Japanese Combis. Amateur Open Café, Production 410, and 6-Hour Endurance racer. Worked a Honda motorcycle dealership.

· Participated as a client on international tours with Helge Pedersen’s Globeriders, Skip & Nancy Mascorro’s MotoDiscovery, Werner Wachter’s Edelweiss. Client, Webmeister, Partner and Guide with GlobeRiders.

· Learned: what works, what breaks, what is field-repairable, what is not. 99.999999% of the people in the world are awesome. But there was this one guy . . . .

· Traveled five continents and Japan, Philippines, Ireland, UK.

· Produced moto-adventure training camps with Jimmy and Heather Lewis of Jimmy Lewis Off-Road Training, and Jim Hyde of RawHyde Adventures. Given adventure travel presentations and training seminars for BMW dealerships, training camps, rallies and Touratech USA.

· Fabricated and/or assembled, designed, prototyped, tested, shipped and field serviced products for: Olympic Medical, Physio-Control, Spacelabs, STRATOS Product Development Group, Microsoft Hardware Group, ASG and Devices.

· Owned, operated, maintained, and upgraded: enduro, road, racing and adventure bikes, off-road 4x4s, Sprinter camper conversions, twin-screw diesel boats. Sidecars.

· Purchased, commissioned, refurbished, or built 10 sidecars. Usually have one at home one to ship, one in Germany, one in Japan.

· Made visits to, capabilities and facilities tours at: DMC Sidecars, Liberty Motors, and Ural Motorcycles (USA), ABEZ Sidecars (Japan), IMZ (Ural factory, Russia), Touratech and Mobec (Germany), LBS, EZS and EML (Netherlands).

· As the only non-Catholic in a Catholic elementary school, been whacked by the dreaded Sister Dorothea for riding a Sears minibike around the school auditorium on a Sunday when I thought everyone was in church.​

Q: What is a “build”?

A: Your Bike. Together: a spec, schedule, graduated payments. I procure materials and components. I install them on your Bike. I provide status reports and build photos. We Build your Combi.

Q: Why should I choose LBS-USA?

A: Please read my FAQ. I’m capable, able, and, in a right way, obsessive. I know how to build Sidecars, especially adventure Combis. Although there are a lot of moving pieces in launching a company, if all goes as I expect (and in the spirit of full transparency), I will build (and sell) with the following select companies listed (in alphabetical order):

· Fisheries Supply Company (FISCO), Seattle, WA: Wholesale Account. Marine-grade hardware, wire, terminals, power distribution components, sealants, shop supplies.

· LBS Sidecars (LBS Zijspantechniek), Netherlands: Affiliate. Sidecar kits, Bodies, custom Wheels, Leading Link kits, and components from LBS-NL. Depending on availability, Sidecars, Bodies and components from the companies LBS-NL represents.

· South Sound BMW Motorcycles: Wholesale Account. BMW parts and accessories for Sidecar builds or installs only (no motorcycle service or repair, no online sales).

· Ural Motorcycle, USA/Russia: Authorized Service Center. Sidecar kits (sidecars only; no motorcycle, no motorcycle service or repair), Bodies, components, accessories.

· Raceway Ural: TBD (To Be Determined), but we’ll work it out!. Recommended Ural service and repair. Accessories. Raceway Ural Sidecar kits (custom Chassis, Rigging, Cradle) for specific model BMS GS “Boxer” Bikes. Alternate build site (in qualification).

· Touratech-USA: Authorized dealer (retail only, no online sales).​

[end]

Thanks,
    TurTal, CCjon, brstar and 6 others like this.
  2. ErictheBiking

ErictheBiking Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very comprehensive.
    Good luck for this venture.
    Wish you were in Australia.
    LBS-USA and Flyin' Monkeys like this.
  3. LBS-USA

Oddometer:
    G'day @ErictheBiking ! Appreciate your slogging thru the FAQ. I've always admired the determined scrappiness of you guys Down Under, goodonya! Would love to travel in Australia someday, though I've learned the costs of temporarily importing a vehicle into Australia under a CDP (Carnet de Passages en Douane) can be astronomical! As a GlobeRiders' guide, I've three had three Aussie's along for the ride. Good men all!
  4. LBS-USA

Oddometer:
    I would like to thank @steam powered for his incredibly thoughtful, frank, and educational "on mission" comments and feedback. Super helpful. Exactly the type of person I hope to build outfits with, whether it's "commercial" build, or not.

Good Man!
    Flyin' Monkeys likes this.
  5. camgregus

camgregus riding gently now Supporter

Oddometer:
    on the banks of the mighty mississippi, AR side
    Best of luck! Following!
    LBS-USA likes this.
  6. Rupertexists

Rupertexists n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey Mike @LBS-USA @mikepa , I hope the LBS venture is going well, I just checked out your website and your builds look beautiful - works of art mate! I think I may be developing a hack itch and been searching the internet for details on LBS LH kits but can't find anything, are you aware of any LH kit options?
    brstar likes this.
  7. mikepa

mikepa SideCzarist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seattle, WA in the Great Pacific NorthWET (USA)
    Hello @Rupertexists , and well met! Thanks for the kind words. Apologies for the lack of information on LH kits, will have to have our Dutch website updated to list those we have that are available. Though the photos below are all of RH outfits (as, obviously, that what I offer here in the Former Colonies), these three are available in LH configuration, and are fabricated and shipped from Holland.

STEPLER - configurable as either a highway touring or adventure rig:

temp1.jpg

GS+URAL - an all-new design, also configurable as either a highway touring or adventure rig (I'm building one for myself!):

temp3.jpg

OVERLAND - our ultimate adventure outfit:

temp2.jpg

Should you have anyh questions or want to chat, drop me a line at: lbs-usa@outlook.com, and thanks for the interest in our products!

Cheers,
    TurTal likes this.
  8. Rupertexists

Rupertexists n00b

Oddometer:
    Cheers Mike - GS+URAL would be my preferred , I love the shape of the URAL body and , of course , the reliability of the GS - I'll email Mr D in Euroland.
    mikepa likes this.
  9. mikepa

mikepa SideCzarist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seattle, WA in the Great Pacific NorthWET (USA)
    @Rupertexists , a most excellent choice! The chassis and rigging can be easily fabricated for either LH or RH mounting. It's the body that is usually the issue. Of course, any body, no matter the material, could be fabricated in either LH or RH configurations, but it's the cost of tooling that generally the issue. The sidecar world is a small market to begin with, the market for LH is a tiny segment of a small market. But of course, the URAL is sold in both LH and RH versions. Mr. D is pretty swamped, feel free to circle back to me if you're not getting replies on a timely basis or if any issues arise. One may be the cost of a new LH Ural body - current retail on an factory painted URAL body is USD$6,000 here in the States. I may be able to arrange better pricing for a build. And my recommendation for a tug is a 2010 thru early 2013-1/2 BMW R1200GS Adventure (oilhead) TwinCam. Affordable, reliable, easier to work with than a Liquid-Cooled, and pretty much de-bugged as it was the end of the oilhead platform.
  10. Rupertexists

Rupertexists n00b

Oddometer:
    Good shout about the GS model @mikepa , I was thinking about a R1250GS but I can get a 2012 R12GS ADV for half the price, I've also seen a 2nd hand tub (needs paint) that may be ok for a chap like me.
    LBS-USA likes this.
  11. LBS-USA

Oddometer:
    If one has deep pockets, a Liquid-Cooled is obviously a fine choice. But a quality sidecar build is costly, and unless I have a "cost no object" client (they do exist!), I advise them to buy a good/low mileage used GS Adventure, and apply the savings to the hack (or their cookie jar!). A used URAL tub is a diamond in the rough. A decent paint and body shop can bring it back to life, and you'll save a ton over buying new. Sounds like you "only" need a subframe, chassis, rigging, and a means of trail reduction (trail reducing lower fork cross brace, or with the money you saved by not buying a new bike <g>, a leading link front suspension kit). I run my business in email. If you'd like, I can give you some estimated costs for these components and options, contact me at: lbs-usa@outlook.com
    rg sw wa. likes this.