1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

LBS-Sidecars USA | New 16x5.5 Spoked Cast Wheels for Highway and Adventure Touring Rigs

Discussion in 'Hack Vendors' started by LBS-USA, Apr 26, 2021.

1. LBS-USA

LBS-USA Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    For years, I have been a huge fan of our very own @Stroker 's awesome and indestructable rotary-forged Advantage wheels. If memory serves, for both my own personal rigs and for outfits I've built or refurbished for others, I've ordered at least 15 Advantage wheels. Not one has ever failed, bent, or leaked, nor have I ever had to replace front wheel bearings.

The only downside is limited availability of tires for these 15" wheels, and apparently, the supply of the modular wheels that are used to build the Advantage wheels is drying up.

Although the stock BMW Cross-Spoke wheels are suprisingly robust, the added side-loading imposed after rigging a sidecar causes moto tires to wear rapidly - motorcycle tires in the 19" and 17" sizes are costly and difficult to find when touring, especially internationally. No 19" automotive tire is available (that I know of) for the BMW front wheel, and few are readily available that will fit on the stock 17" rear rim.

I'm pleased to pre-announce availability of a new wheel from LBS for most BMW R1200GS/A thru R1250GS/A sidecar owners - a 16x5.5 cast automotive wheel, imported from Japan. Ad at LBS-NL has developed a custom wheel hub adapter that (1) allows this wheel to be installed with our Leading Link front suspension kits together with our Bigass Mono-Rotor Twin Caliper front brake system (re-uses your stock calipers), (2) allows the wheel to be installed on the rear, (3) and also on the sidecar.

Here's the sneak peek, note the twin calipers on our MonoRotor peekng thru the spokes from the far side:

capture.jpg

The wheels are specfically made for Toyota and other off-road 4x4 vehicles, and are available in matte black, or in gloss black with milled edges to expose aluminum edging on the spokes. Our wheel adapters are in initial production, and pricing is being finalized with our supplier.

I'll update this post as things progress. If you're interested in being added to a notify list, please email me at my business address: lbs-usa@outlook.com

Thanks and Regards,

MikePa
  2. MGV8

MGV8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very tempting. Still I'm sticking with the Cross Spokes for the Overland. Maybe on a future build.
    Gerg and LBS-USA like this.
  3. LBS-USA

Oddometer:
    Future build? One at home, one in the oven, and you're positing a FUTURE build :pope?
    Rakthi and Bobmws like this.
  4. MGV8

MGV8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    One can Dream. Mrs MG doesn't need to know, OK :D
  5. LBS-USA

Oddometer:
    Received my shipment of our new 16x5.5 Japanese cast aluminum wheels today!:

lbs_wheels_01.jpg

This model is Japanese agency approved for light truck/mini-bus use, and in the wider rim sizes, is designed for fitment to Toyota FJ Cruisers, Land Cruisers and other 4x4 SUV's and trucks. Certification document on top in the photo below. Nicely packaged, they came with elastic woven material covers to protect the finished side of the wheel:

lbs_wheels_02.jpg

Of course, I'm biased, I think they're pretty awesome looking shoes:

lbs_wheels_03.jpg

Close-up, this model is finished in gloss-black, with milled edges for a bit of bling. The wheel is also available with a matte black finish, without the milled edges:

lbs_wheels_04.jpg

LBS-NL developed a wheel hub adapter, machined from 7000-series aluminum for strength, and clear anodized for corrosion resistance. A single wheel hub adapter design allows these wheels to be fitted on the rear of any motorcycle, or sidecar, that accepts an OEM BMW 17" 5-bolt wheel. A variety of automotive and motorcycle tires are available in the 16" wheel size. Here is a matte black wheel shown mounted on the rear of a BMW GS/A:

lbs_wheels_06.jpg

Here is a matte black wheel installed on an LBS BOXER adventure sidecar:

lbs_wheels_07.jpg

If you have or order an outfit with our leading link front suspension kit, the wheel can be fitted up front, though the OEM twin disc rotor set-up must be swapped out for our single-sided (either left or right side) single disc 320mm MonoRotor and Twin Caliper Carrier (the stock OEM calipers are re-used). The photo below shows the wheel installed on our leading link ("raw", not yet powder coated), with the MonoRotor installed on the far side (left-side fitment):

lbs_wheels_05.jpg
  6. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Would be interesting to see if a 195/55-16 would fit on an oil-cooled R1200GS (like mine) using this wheel. There are a ton of tire options in that size and only 3/4" shorter than 150/70-17. And it's actually slightly taller than the 175/65-15 I'm using now.

Does the wheel adapter use the OEM lug bolts to attach to the final drive?

Does the adapter also act as a spacer to provide relief between the tire and the swingarm? Nominally, a 195 is 45mm wider than a 150 so half that is 22.5mm. The original 150 of course has plenty of clearance from the swingarm so just a guess that I'd need, what, 10mm of relief?

Hmmmmm . . .
    Flyin' Monkeys and LBS-USA like this.
  7. LBS-USA

Oddometer:
    Wheel/adapter designed for fitment of 175/60R16 or 185/60R16 tires. I've found a much larger selection of tires available on the eBay.uk site vs. eBay.com (USA) site. have never had a problem with delivery or duties ordering from Europe.