LBS-Sidecars USA | Touring Sidecar Build Thread #3 | 2020 BMW R18 First Edition + BOXER

Discussion in 'Hack Vendors' started by LBS-USA, Oct 30, 2020.

1. LBS-USA

LBS-USA Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Always relish a new challenge! Super excited to receive a commission from Dave Currie-Wendell to rig an LBS BOXER sidecar to, and install our leading link fork kit on his magnificent BMW R18!

Dave is a seasoned sidecarist, a motorcycle training Mentor/Instructor and Sidecar/Trike Chief Instructor for WA State, and has been luminary leader in our state's motorcycle safety and training programs for years.

Dave and The Best in the first photo, the current front-runner for the chair in the second - a color-and-pinstripe-matched LBS BOXER (this one rigged to a HD).

Thank you Dave for placing your trust in us!

Dave and The Beast - 91hp at 4,750rpm / 116 lbs-ft torque at 3,000rpm:

dave_currie_wendell_r18_sm.jpg

Current front-runner for the tub, color-andpin-stripe-matched LBS BOXER (shown here rigged to an HD):

20201030_lbs_boxer01.jpg
    pfestus1, MGV8, draperg1 and 6 others like this.
  2. brstar

brstar Long timer

Oddometer:
    Should be a great rig.

Any extra fuel capacity?
    draperg1 and LBS-USA like this.
  3. Dynamick

Dynamick Ornamental Supporter

Oddometer:
    Saw your post on FB but I'm gonna follow it here.
    draperg1 and LBS-USA like this.
  4. LBS-USA

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

Am researching installation of a non-intrusive, certified fuel cell or auxiliary tank for transfer fueling via a battery-operated fuel pump.
  5. LBS-USA

Oddometer:
    There will be a well-photo-documented build thread for sure! And it starts here . . . .

20201006_135918.jpg
    Prmurat, rg sw wa., MGV8 and 4 others like this.
  6. Prmurat

Prmurat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Following
    LBS-USA likes this.
  7. LBS-USA

Oddometer:
    Delivery Day! All local interested parties in this build meet physically (masked!) for the first time today. The design phase of our LBS R18+BOXER build begins today with the delivery of Dave's R18 First Edition to our mad-men and maker facility, Alki Foundry, in Seattle, WA.

From L to R, Avi/designer, maker, motorcyclist; Dave/owner, sidecarist, WA State instructor of instructors for our state motorcycle, trike and sidecar training and endorsement program; Andrew (was in the back)/maker/machinist; Hahn/Alki Foundry Founder, maker, designer, machinist. Alki Foundry is a makers and fabricator's coop, a bunch of small specialty companies making everything from honeycomb core skateboards, T-shirts, fine woodworking, machining, tube bending, sheet metal, welding, even a clean-room and powder-coating oven. SolidWorks 3D modelling software is the CAD system used:

20201209_01.jpg

It really is a beast. Yes, opinions vary on the mufflers (truth, opinions are, like many in our country today, "highly polarized"), but it's an awesome tractor, and an awesome platform for a build. Massive torque, powered reverse, and builder's dream, a sectional yet robust frame:

20201209_02.jpg

It takes a village:

20201209_03.jpg

Always have the owner (and only the owner) start and move his or her motorcycle (unless the building is on fire):

20201209_04.jpg

In the bay, ready for ideation, creation and fabrication:

20201209_05.jpg

The basic configuration is R18 First Edition (BMW - Germany) > subframe (Alki Foundry - Seattle, WA USA) > complete chassis, BOXER body, leading link front suspension (LBS-Zijspantechniek - Eslendorp, Netherlands) > project management, design, sourcing, importation, accessory install, wiring, build, test, alignment (LBS-USA - Kenmore, WA USA).
  8. Prmurat

Prmurat Long timer

Oddometer:
    My personal choice will a Precision as made by Alternative Sidecar
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  9. LBS-USA

Oddometer:
    That could be a fun choice, and a great thread to to spawn in the Hacks Forum :clap!
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  10. LBS-USA

Oddometer:
    And so it begins . . . Steadied on a tabletop scissors jack, and "safed" with cargo straps suspended from an overhead chain hoist, geometry capture begins for the subframe on the R18. In the foreground to the left of the front wheel, the 3D measuring arm that will allow us to capture the X/Y/Z position of hardpoints on the frame that we'll create rigging points for. Arm is connected to a laptop running SOLIDWORKS 3D CAD software. Subframe is being designed here in Seattle, WA USA. We'll send CAD files to Ad at LBS-Zijspantechniek in Holland so he can position hardpoints on the chassis.

20201216_r18_3d_capture.jpg
    draperg1, rg sw wa., DRONE and 4 others like this.
  11. pfestus1

pfestus1 Slash 5er

Oddometer:
    It will be fun to watch this build! My personal opinion is that the Boxer HD sidecar looks too modern for the classic look of the R18. But I'm sure the end product will be beautiful and functional.
  12. LBS-USA

Oddometer:
    Imagine, white pinstriping!
    draperg1, rg sw wa. and pfestus1 like this.
  13. LBS-USA

Oddometer:
    Pretty exciting (well, for me, and the client anyway). Just about one month to the day since the R18 was delivered to Alki Foundry in Seattle, WA, for geometry capture and subframe design, LBS-NL has been doing its part, and in spite of holidays, pandemic factory shut-downs and border closures in Europe, Ad was able to get a BOXER sidecar kit fabricated.

This morning, I received photos of the BMW R18/LBS BOXER components ready for shipment. The crate has been ordered, and should arrive at LBS-NL next week. Once it's boxed up, I'll have weight and dimensions, and can contact my freight forwarders to obtain shipping quotes both by air and by sea.

I chose Ad as my design and fabrication partner because his work is machine art, and he builds for robustness using quality materials (plus, the components and hardware are 100% metric, just like the bike!).

In the photos below:

(1) That massive wheel hub adapter rides on a stainless axle, and the bearing carrier contains two double-row sealed bearings.

(2) All components of the sidecar's brake assembly remain on the trailing arm when the wheel is removed. No need to mess around with removing the caliper first, or disc rotor later.

(3) To finish off the wheel hub, a custom machined carrier for the BMW roundel is included.​

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-08 at 2.10.26 AM.jpeg

(4) The trailing arm rides in an equally massive bearing carrier, again, twin double-row bearings, stainless axle.

(5) Rather than directly bolting the body to the chassis, six machine shock isolation mounts prevent the fiberglass from stress cracking and delamination.

(3) Round tubing only, no angle iron, no square tubing - stronger, fewer welds.

(6) Heavy-duty corner gussets are welded at the major stress points.​

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-08 at 12.39.40 AM.jpeg

(7) As the R18 is all about "retro", a traditional open fender was selected for this build. The fender is mounted to the trailing arm, not the chassis, so that is is both centered on and hugs the wheel diameter.

(8) The 17" wheel is from a BMW R Nine T, and can accept with a higher-profile motorcycle tire, or an automotive tire. For the R18, we're mounting an automotive 195/45R17 tire.​

WhatsApp Image 2020-12-23 at 11.29.05 AM (2).jpg
  14. Prmurat

Prmurat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like beautiful parts... sure it will be great with the R18. My only other choice would be the fender: it should be like a Steib or at minimum as a Precision, but that’s a small detail! (But which fender is the definitive one: the large one or the small one?).
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  15. LBS-USA

Oddometer:
    All the photos show the same components, same fender.
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  16. Prmurat

Prmurat Long timer

Oddometer:
    This and that are the same? Ok then! IMG_4380.jpg
    IMG_4378.jpg
    rg sw wa. and Bobmws like this.
  17. LBS-USA

Oddometer:
    Perhaps a first? Leading link for the R18 nearly complete and ready for powder coat!

Stock front wheel and twin discs will be retained for this client. Haven't decided on shocks yet.

Stock front fender doesn't lend itself well to a leading link, so a new steel fender was sourced in Europe. Fender will be shipped unpainted so we can color match it to the tub and tub's fender when we paint it here in the States:

lbs_r18_ll_04.jpg

lbs_r18_ll_06.jpg

lbs_r18_05.jpg

lbs_r18_ll_03.jpg

r18_ll_02.jpg
  18. MGV8

MGV8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    How many Rigs can a guy Lust over, Many apparently :rofl
  19. TurTal

TurTal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm damn sure diggin the one you're having built

Don't tell anybody that though
  20. MGV8

MGV8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes it's going to be awesome in so many ways. I do still have a wall paper picture on one work computer of one of Ad's Boxer cars on a ST1300. I damn near went down that road!!!
    IMG_1673.JPG