1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

LBS-Sidecars USA | URAL 5-Pack Shock Absorber Group Buy Offer

Discussion in 'Hack Vendors' started by LBS-USA, Jan 3, 2021.

1. LBS-USA

LBS-USA Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I build high-end highway and adventure touring sidecars for a business, utilizing European accessories and components. I personally own three BMW GS-based hacks, a 2020 URAL Gear Up, and have a 2021 URAL +GEO LE on order.

For my sidecar builds, I import, install, and resell shocks from Touratech (Germany), Tractive (Netherlands), Bitubo (Italy) and Wilbers (Germany). Wishing to upgrade the suspension on my Gear Up, I contacted Mike Capon, founder/owner of Shock Factory (France), liked the man, liked the product, and am now a dealer for Shock Factory’s 2WIN shocks for URALs.

ural_2win.jpg

Shock factory offers a 5-pack of their 2WIN shocks for URALs. Here link to the official webpage on the 2WIN shocks:

. . . and here is the link to the URAL 5-pack product page:

An URAL 2WIN 5-pack is €1,070, shipping is €80, or €1,150. At the current EUR/USD exchange rate, that is $1,395. If there is sufficient interest, I would be happy to put together a group order, at a price of $1,245 per 5-pack, shipping included.

To offer a group buy price of $1,245, I would need a minimum of five orders (25 shocks total).

If you would like to place an order, do not reply or comment to this post, please email me at:

The shocks shown in the photos below have custom-ordered red springs. The standard color is black. In your email, please note if you would prefer black or red springs – I will go with the majority vote. To be clear, should you place an order, do state your preference, but understand that you may receive black or red based on the group majority vote!

20210103_082257.jpg

20210103_082321.jpg

2win_ural_04.jpg

2win_ural_03.jpg

2win_ural_02.jpg
    toyboy, DRONE and TurTal like this.
  2. airheadbruce

airheadbruce Uncle Dumbshit Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm in for a set, black springs please. I emailed you today.
    brstar likes this.
  3. airheadbruce

Oddometer:
    Hey! This is a great $ for a suspension upgrade, get off your ass and send him some money. We need to support Mike so I can get the group buy price.
    TurTal, rg sw wa. and LBS-USA like this.
  4. LBS-USA

Oddometer:
    For those of you who have kindly placed your trust in me an have ordered a 5-pack of the URAL 2WIN shocks (with black springs!), I'm pleased to inform you that I just received confirmation from the French Chronopost service that the shocks have shipped! I expect to receive them within 7 to 10 days due to US Customs processing/clearance time.

I ordered one extra set of the URAL 5-packs and should anyone be interested, will offer them at the initial group buy price of USD$1,245 to include shipping to any physical address in CONUS (aka "the lower 48").

My email addy is: lbs-usa@outlook.com, and my website is at: www.lbs-usa.com
    TurTal likes this.
  5. LBS-USA

Oddometer:
    Also, for you URALISTAS out there, especially those who ride off-pavement, I received the following opinion and comments from Mike Capon, owner and founder of Shock Factory, regarding our 2WIN shocks and URAL suspension in general:

The OEM URAL (Sachs) spring rates seem firm as the damping is so crude. A lot of (mainly smaller) hits will be transmitted directly into the chassis. This is what we refer to as poor filtration. The 2WIN shock with its twin tube system and the poppet valve adjuster (combined and ratio'd compression and rebound adjuster) is far better in this respect.

We have tested spring rates extensively. Our standard and recommended spring rates is 200lbs/in. Stiffer springs are available in 25lb/in increments, but we recommend against going to stiffer springs as you will loose compliance when off-pavement. Our shocks ship with the standard 200lb springs preloaded only 20%. As the 2WIN shocks have threaded preload adjusters, you still have a max of 80% preload adjustment range available should you find you actually need stiffer suspension.

When it comes to adjusting or changing spring rates we would only recommend doing so in the case of significantly heavier loading than standard. Off-pavement, the sustained loadings are actually lower than on tarmac. It's only the 'hits' (sudden short duration/high amplitude loadings) that will result in bottoming, and our compression damping actually works and will limit this.

In short, though it may seem counter-intuitive, you don't automatically need harder springs for off-pavement operation, the controlled absorption and subsequent release of shock load energy is key. The only other instance where where heavier springs may be useful is where a machine is used often in muddy (clay is worst) conditions and the machine accumulates sufficient mud under the fenders and on the chassis/body to add a heap of kilograms (or pounds <g>) of additional "cargo".​

YMMV of course!
    airheadbruce, brstar and TurTal like this.
  6. airheadbruce

Oddometer:
    Hello, Can Mike suggest initial settings for the shocks for a less than 200 pound easy rider?
  7. grinmaul

grinmaul Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got the same shocks, and asked about that (180-190ish), he said the way they come should be fine, fine tune the compression/rebound adjust to taste. i installed mine and can actually get a little bit of give now on the rear shocks, with the sachs it seemed like the swingarm was solidly mounted. have not road tested yet, got a bunch more snow which means a crap ton more salt.

When i asked if i am going to notice any difference while city riding, he said night and day, if i don't he will gladly refund my money.
  8. LBS-USA

Oddometer:
    Agreed, try them out of the box. The preload is set at about 20% on the springs. Before adjusting them, I'd suggest taking a test drive on some rough stuff, doesn't need be off-pavement, here in Seattle, there are endless miles of rough enough roads in city. Take one run with the compression rebound adjusters all set to one limit, then do the same run with them set at the other limit. If one limit or the other seems too soft or too hard, set them all to the middle, and see if that helps. If those adjusters alone don't do the job, you could move all the spring preload adjusters one way or the other.

Another approach from the techs in Redmond. Set your spring preload for about 20% sag, or about 1.00in to 1.25in. A normal starting point for sag is around 25%, but with only 3.00in of travel, try for 20%, go for some rides and see if the suspension is too stiff or bottoms out, and adjust accordingly. The spring rate is 200lb per inch.
    airheadbruce and TurTal like this.
  9. LBS-USA

Oddometer:
    NOTICE: The Shock Factory 2WIN Shock 5-pack offer for URALs is now closed. I have 30 of these shocks out in the wild now, and will post any feedback, positive or negative, I receive from the owners. I am impressed enough that I'll carry them in inventory from now on. With the group buy offer closed, future orders will be fulfilled at $1,395 for a set of 5 2WIN shocks, 200lb/in spring rate, black springs, including shipping via FedEx ground to any CONUS address, and no sales tax for purchases shipped out of WA state.

Photo of the first partial shipment of the Group Buy order:

20210201_130436.jpg
    airheadbruce, DRONE and TurTal like this.
  10. airheadbruce

Oddometer:
    Ok, the shocks were shipped Tuesday, they were delivered today,Thursday. Installed today, rode as a monkey down a rough road so I could watch them work. Hot Damn(Damm?) , the front and rear suspension do move! Hard to believe the increased compliance compared to stock. I will go for a longer street ride soon to further evaluate them, but initial thoughts are .......Wow.
    2500 Miles on a 2021 Gear Up, 3 months old, time to explore the very washboarded dirt roads around here.
    TurTal, Bobmws, Rakthi and 1 other person like this.
  11. LBS-USA

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the quick up-close-and-personal @airheadbruce ! Definitely look forward to hearing how your GUP handles washboard compared to the stock Sachs. Personally, I hate washboard almost as much as I hate sand!
    TurTal likes this.