LC4 Adventure Carb problems?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ktmnate, Dec 9, 2004.

1. ktmnate

ktmnate Long timer

Oddometer:
    I love all kinds of skiing (only when I can do it). I don't thin it could have damaged the sparkplug. What I am now doing is one thing at a time. I want to know what it is that is causing this condition. Other than top speed, the 640 runs like a champ! I will keep the list informed.
  2. ktmnate

ktmnate Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am almost suspecting the slide. I have had it apart again and inspected. It all looked good but didn't do much for top end. Everything looked like is was sealed correctly. It's gona take me several weeks to sort this one. I am only changing one thing at a time.
  3. ktmnate

ktmnate Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok, I played with the bike and got it up to 102 (On the GPS not IMO). Almost there. I just changed the jet to a 165 just to see what will happen. The problem was the ruber boot wasn't on all the way! It was off on the underside and I couldn't see it. Just another bone-head move! And my wife says I'm dangerous.
  4. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    I'm not going to say a thing... glad you found your problem. :thumb
  5. ktmnate

ktmnate Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh, that was only part of the problem. I put new grips on and man does that help. I swear the new grips gave it an extra 5 hp.
  6. Flanny

Flanny Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer:
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, the World, the Universe

Awesome! So she was really lean! Good on 'ya for finding the problem.

Pump up your tires to 40PSI, and you'll pick up another couple of mph. Also, don't forget to shave before you go out for your test run..(every ounce count 'ya know) :thumb
  7. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Did I mention I wasn't going to say a thing?... :nod
  8. Maxmoto

Maxmoto Anarchist Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi there Flanny'
    I had my bike rejetted with exact spects you send it to me while ago. Results was great however I .sold the bike to "Boulder Boy" from Boulder and he wonders what do you suggest for 5500 feet high altitude?
    Thanks in advance
    Moto
  9. d0gWateR

d0gWateR Goat Stuntaz DSMC

Oddometer:
    Yours is an '02 right? What kind of grips did you use? I have an '03, so what's the conversion, colour change etc...? Maybe creeper can chime in with some help...

[​IMG]
  10. Flanny

Flanny Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer:
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, the World, the Universe
    Well...It's a whole new ball game. I've never jetted for that kind of altitude, but I would suggest that stock air pilot (1.2) and jetting back down to 152 or 155 MJ would be more in the range.

He'd have to experiment on the main jet in particular and get back to us with the result...I've heard rules of thumb like one MJ size down for every 2000ft of altiture, but I've never tried them in practice.

Any other people that are high can chime in anytime (litterally or figuratively). :lol3
  11. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    My '03 Adventure lives at 6,000 feet. I have the KTM airbox "racing" side cover and the 'Trapp IDS2 installed. I'm still running the OEM jetting (152.5 main/1.2 pilot air) and figure I'm still plenty fat. It runs pretty much perfectly from 6K to 12K, can't beat that...

CC

BST!
  12. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    I was run'n very lean, guess what...Yup :nod Das boot
  13. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    I was runnin' very rich, guess what... :lol3 der main jet come unskrewed

do we need a hall of shame?!? somewhere to collect all the bonehead things we did so that people can scan through it to find problemas?

Are we man-enough to fess up to our little "indescretions"? :D
  14. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    How 'bout a "Hall of Meat" to start... :lol3

So if your MJ was say, a 160 and then it falls out, how to we rate the metering orifice then? Maybe a 860? :eek1

CC

BST!
  15. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    I am comfortable with the name "Hall of Meat", but it might get thrown into JM without a glance :lol3

:dunno what the equivalent size is for no main jet but 860 probably ain't too bad a guess :nod

I thought the Hall o Shame might be fun to read, maybe useful to a few wrenchin' retards (myself included), and definately a good exercise for those who's ID made it past the Super Ego. Or was the Ego the gatekeeper? Aw, crap I can't remember.

It might liven up Chopperman's life as the "Blood, sweat, and gears" forum is a little dry. :evil

I think I'll start it just for giggles - we'll see what happens...

Link:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64136

Don't be shy now ya'hear
  16. Padowan

Padowan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Resurrecting this thread as it seems like the closest to to a problem I have.

I have recently bought a lovely 2004 640 Adventure-R and have a bit of a problem with it. It seems to be lacking in power at the top end. In top gear, it won't accelerate above 70mph or so (around 5.5k rpm), with WOT, the bike just stops accelerating and I would say that the last 25% of the throttle rotation is doing nothing at these speeds, I can roll back about 25% and nothing changes, dropping down a cog of two allows the revs to increase, but I still hit the same limit (in 3rd the revs will go towards the redline, around 8k or so at 70mph, but when I then change up a gear, the revs obviously drop, but I get no more power/acceleration.

Bike has Full Akra exhaust, vented side panel on the airbox and no snorkel. It's running a 157.5 main and 47.5 pilot, which I read is about right for those mods.

I have looked at the following things:
    • Octane switch is properly earthed
    • Had the carb off, set the float level, cleaned all passageways.
    • There is no limiter top-hat in the top of the carb.
    • Slide and guide are showing some signs of wear, as is the needle.
    • Needle is on the middle (3rd) clip.
    • Slide holes are not drilled out from what I can tell.

I ran an AFR meter on the bike, and at idle it's running around 13.5, on cruise it seems a bit rich at around 11-12. At WOT when the problem is occurring it's at around 13.5, so there's no smoking gun with regards to jetting being wildly out.

My current thoughts:
    • I'm going to check the compression and get inside the head shortly to check the clearances/rockers and ensure that the cam isn't a tooth out.
    • If the slide/guide is worn and the slide is sticking under the intake vacuum that might give the symptoms I see. When the carb is out of the bike, pulling vaccuum on the top of the carb makes it slide up and down through it's full range, so maybe the issue is when there is lateral intake vacuum pulling the slide into the guide.

Otherwise the engine starts well and easily and doesn't sound all tappy, and at slower speeds the bike all feels good and seems to have power.

I'm reluctant to simply start replacing carb components (slide/guide/needle) unless I run out of options, as it'l be easy to spend a couple of hundred notes on parts which may not fix the problem, so want to eliminate everything else first.

Looking for any suggestions for things to check, or other possible causes of this kind of problem.

Thanks!
  17. NitroAcres

NitroAcres MotoBiggots Suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    Find an FCR39/41 and give it a whirl....
  18. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Make sure the little metal shim washer is in place on the needle, it is the last thing to go over the pointy end before it is slid into place on the slide..
  19. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    No doubt you have also cleaned, but not over-oiled, the air filter...
  20. Padowan

Padowan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Appears to be a CV slide issue. It's not moving through its full movement (see vid hopefully, if I can attach it).

How the slide is responding exactly reflects how the bike feels, like the throttle is only opening part way. //cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5ab2bcbdaac01/20180321_193805_002_001.mp4

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk