LC4 Adventure Comfort

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by SuperBonBon, Aug 21, 2006.

1. SuperBonBon

SuperBonBon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a question targeted at current LC4 Adventure owners. What have you done, or what CAN be done, to improve the comfort and/or ergonomics of the beast? I'm not overly concerned about the vibes, as many posts here have dealt with that - and I enjoy a little vibe in my ride anyway!

I'm 6'4", and can flat-foot the bike at a standstill. The problem for me is the seating position. With the bike's short cockpit and aggresive footpeg position, I just can't seem to get comfortable - at all! I haven't actually ridden the bike - just saddled it on the showroom floor. However, coming off my R1150GS (maybe not a fair comparison, as they're so different), and comparing the bike directly with the KLR650 and DR650 which were also in the showroom.

I'd like to be able to use the bike for some long-distance type touring. While I realize it's not the ideal bike for that, I do want to make it work the best I can. Any tips on altering the bike to make it more "touring" friendly?
  2. bmwktmbill

bmwktmbill Traveler

Oddometer:
    Super,
    Maybe take a towel to the showroom and sit on it to simulate raising the seat an inch. There are several comfortable air seats and gel pads.
    Would that help?
    I can only imagine your problem being a mere 5'10" stretched.
    Bill in Tomahawk, WI
  3. rjf

rjf SBS's #1 fan in January

Oddometer:
    Gosford, NSW, Aust. Scrambler, 640Adv, 300EXC
  4. AndyBee

AndyBee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi - I bought an '04 Adventure recently and had a similar problem with comfort. My first reaction was to go off and try to buy the fable KTM 'comfort' seat, until I was politely informed that the '04 Adventure already has the 'comfort' seat! I hate to think what the earlier seat must have been like!!

Anyway, I found that what you wear in the way of riding pants has a huge impact on comfort on this machine (by 'pants', I mean the US definition - i.e. trousers, not the Eur definition i.e. underpants/boxers). Seriously, if I rode in jeans (tut tut) or light leathers it was excruciating, but as soon as I changed to even quite a light pair of lined fabric riding pants (such as Hein Gericke 'Tuareg'), it seemed like a different bike.

Anyway, that was my experience. Hope you find something that works.

Cheers - Andy
  5. Buckster

Buckster Banned

Oddometer:
  6. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    What rjf said.

Also the 'bars can be rotated in the clamps. I found the standard position made the bike feel like a cruiser, great for commuting but useless when standing trying to get weight over the front wheel. Rotating them forward to position 1.5 (or 2.5, not going out to the garage to check) makes it a slight stretch when commuting but much better everywhere else.

You're taller than I so this simple adjustment could make the world of difference for your street riding. It is something the dealer could do to the showroom bike to let you try it.

Let us know how you get on.
  7. taffyscouser

taffyscouser Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cheap sheepskin pad on the seat......bliss and it doubles as a travel pillow when camping. Easy to fit and remove and does not detract from the look of the bike. Most LD UK GSriders have been using this tip for many years.

Looking at foot peg lowering systems and I:clap still have the Verhollens off the GS. Looking at them I can get them to fit the KTM mounts with some small spacer work and then keep a standard set of GS pegs in them or even Pivot pegs etc for the GS. Lowering the gear change is a sinch on the KTM and the brake will need a bit of work but it looks like a few hours work max to do this.
  8. rjf

rjf SBS's #1 fan in January

Oddometer:
    Gosford, NSW, Aust. Scrambler, 640Adv, 300EXC
    Yeah, what WW said too.

I also forgot, I use the bar risers, and protaper pastrana FMX / ATV bars. its as High as I can go using the stock throttle and choke cables.

I'm only 5' 10" and its only just high enough for me when standing. I took the foot peg rubbers off, for more grip when off road, as soon as I got the bike, but it'd get your foot a bit lower and help comfort wise when standing. I use the KTM Rallye pegs.
  9. SuperBonBon

SuperBonBon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The idea about raising and/or rotating the bars was one of the things I had in mind. As far as raising the seat, or adding things like gel, sheepskin, or whatever - that seems to be the OPPOSITE way I wanted to go. It feels to me now like the seat is too high - and that I'd want it lower and flatter (rather than angled up towards the rear as it currently is). I'm thinking my best option would be to rebuild the current seat in order to flatten it out. As it is, I didn't find the seat uncomfortable - it's just that I had to sit 1/2 way back on it!

Otherwise, thanks for the ideas - you've all confirmed my thoughts and ideas. Keep them coming, if you know of any others!
  10. wachs

wachs just passin' through

Oddometer:
    only 6' tall but long legs and arms. touratech bar risers are the single best thing I've done to this machine (02 ADV). I've ridden the same bike with tall seat foam and it was kinda weird, comfy, but weird. I think it was too tall. Rebuilding the stock seat, filling up some of the pocket would be all I'd do.
  11. KTMantis

KTMantis Crashmaster G

Oddometer:
    http://www.gutsracing.com/

They sell different density foams precut to fit the LC4 Adventure (soft, medium, firm) and replacement seat covers. I ordered the soft foam and their racing cover and it is a significant improvement over stock on my '02 Adventure. The whole deal (using my stock seat pan) was around $100 plus $25 to the local upholsterer to staple the cover on. If you want to lower the seat height, you could trim some foam out of the bottom of the replacement foam (it's pretty thick so removing an inch wouldn't be a problem).
  12. GoGriz

GoGriz Gelandestrasse

Oddometer:
    I am also 6 feet plus, and found that bar risers made all the difference for me. I have the Emig triple clamps that took the bars up about two inches or so. I am quite comfortable on the the bike, and the more I ride it the more I like it! Maybe because you are in the showroom straddling the bike, you aren't able to really feel that LC4 mill working for you and the excessive smiles you generate as you gobble up the miles! Go for it and enjoy the hell out of your new scoot!!
  13. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    I would add that underpants also make a difference. I switched to using bicycling underwear (chamois in the crotch) and the lack of seams made a huge difference. There is a reason why bicyclists wear them.

Oh yeah, mine are the brusier type, so they are padded (hip, thigh, and tailbone). :D
  14. Buckster

Buckster Banned

Oddometer:
    You mean yours are the incontinence type, extra absorbant to cope with your bladder problems.
  15. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Hiya Bucky! :smooch

The bicycle crowd uses some type of goo to help your nut sack stick to the chamois, and therefore reduce chaffing... , I haven't found a need for that crap luckly. No, I still got my buddy's two best friends :fitz ; I am guessing it has something to do with not pedaling.
  16. Buckster

Buckster Banned

Oddometer:
    What? Like Superglue? Sounds a bit extreme.
  17. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Agreed.

For folks who ride less, they make chamois cream, and I hear the top of the line goo is called Assos. :deal
  18. Buckster

Buckster Banned

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a gay sex lubricant, ass sauce.:huh
  19. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Now we are talkin' serious discomfort, for some more than others. Definately would give those who complain about comfort aboard the LC4 some perspective! Glad to say I have never needed that ranging experiment. (just trying not to drift too far afield :D)
  20. Buckster

Buckster Banned

Oddometer:
    Although the standard seat makes you feel like you have been ass raped.