LC4 Chain and Sprockets

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Hipster, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Hipster

Hipster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any recommendations for replacement chain and sprockets for an LC4? For the front sproket I'll stay with KTM, the rear sprocket and stock D.I.D. 520X chain held up well, but I'm open to suggestions.
  2. Buckster

Buckster Banned

Oddometer:
    I used a renthal front, steel rear JTS?, and a xring RK chain.
  3. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    I went KTM sprockets and RK X-ring chain when I replaced. I originally had an alum on the rear, but it wore out in 2K miles, so I'd recommend steel from the get go. The KTM sprockets are price competitive with aftermarket.

The KTM rear steel came black anodized and looks kinda cool (around $25).

[​IMG]

- Mark
  4. G.Kennedy

G.Kennedy ...

Oddometer:
    Ktm rear steel, DID x-ring, stock front
  5. j0ney3

j0ney3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did JT rear steel, DID gold X-ring chain and ktm front, I only went w/ the JT rear because the KTM steel was out of stock at my favorite place. I'm on a 640 Enduro, not Adventure by the way.
  6. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    I am about to redo my drivetrain; front is pretty near shot. The shop grabbed me a Regina X-ring (I think...) chain, and stock 16T front. They wanted to sell me the 950's steel 42T rear for $60!!! :huh Luckly someone here saved me from that stupidity. :smooch

I went with a KTM steel rear and stock steel front. The aluminum rear is silly IMHO since we don't really need the weight savings and the steel lasts, what, 2-3 times as long at half the price...

I went with a KTM steel rear over aftermarket due to the council of a that someone special mentioned above. I will let him speak for himself if he chooses. Since the OEM sprockets are really competitive I guess the question is "why not?" (out of stock is ok).
  7. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    i use stock ktm sprockets and did x-rng chains. work pretty well and last about 15,000km.
  8. Hipster

Hipster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replys, I'll stay with KTM sprockets and the D.I.D X ring chain.

Tomc
  9. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    G'day,

I've been using Chain Gang stuff for a while, seems to hold up well. Haven't worn any out yet! :clap Pricey but seems to be worth the money. Cost me about US$280 for front & rear sprockets and RK GXW chain. The new design superlight is more of a swirl pattern than the simple pattern shown on their web site.

I've used DID X-ring chains for a while, but Paul said they've had several reported breakages on the big KTMs, so suggested the GXW instead.

OEM stuff was utterly shagged and overdue for replacement at 6,400km.
  10. mikeprod92211

mikeprod92211 Desert Rat

Oddometer:
    I replace my originals with Sidewinder parts (www.sidewinder.com).
    Awesome performance last 8000 miles! Chain and sprockets show no wear.
    Reasonable priced mail order items.
  11. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    So here is a picture of my front sprocket that the shop said is shagged:

[​IMG]

What do y'all think? :ear

Here is the rear (once again):

[​IMG]

about 7,500 miles on the stock rig from new.
  12. potatoho

potatoho Cheese and Rice!

Oddometer:
    Those KTM steel seem pretty good. Not a lot of size choices though. I like the beefy triangular teeth. Why do front sprockets have giant teeth and rear sprockets usually have pathetic wimpy teeth? Is it my imagination..
  13. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Looking at your rear sprocket it looks shot to me, must be the stocker - the front looks to be in much better shape. I changed out mine around 9000 km and it was much the same story, the soft rear sprocket was completly shot while the front still looked servicable. Of course I changed the whole works {the right thing to do} making sure to put a steel one on the back. I now have the same Km on the replacements and they show very little wear. I also use Superclean chainlube with good results when compared to some of those sand & gravel magnet type lubes.
  14. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hard to tell from pictures, but I concur: front Okay, rear shot. In fact, the rear sprocket looks about like the one I just replaced.

- Mark
  15. QMan

QMan prof. dirt mover

Oddometer:
    Front looks ok, rear looks like it needs replacement...
    Besides it's always better to replace both gears and chain since with only new rear the chain might wear faster
  16. Hipster

Hipster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Meat,

Your rear looks worse then the one I'm replacing! You got your moneys worth out of that one.

Does your front sprocket have the same number of miles as your rear? On the front I switch between 14, 15 and 16 tooth (42T rear) depending where I ride.
  17. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Yes, the are both the stockers, 7500mi from new. The stock front is a steel 16T; the stock rear is an aluminum 42T. I am going with OEM steel F/R sprockets, same tooth count. I really wasn't thinking about this when they wanted my order so I said stock counts is fine. Besides, I think one of the better changes is to go with the 17T front and various rears... but that requires some mods to fit and now I'm not sure. I will eventually check Loaded's thread and the spreadsheet.

Potatoho, the different sizes might be why the teeth are not beefy - where's my trigonometery book :eek1 - the larger circumference of the rear sprocket doesn't allow for fatty teeth. Otherwise parsimony says someone would make one.

I have the whole shebang coming F/R & chain. I too have heard it's not worth it to leave an old sprocket on, even if it looks good, since it makes the chain wear faster. Urban myth? The front does look pretty beefy still, but for what $30 it hardly seems worth it to burden the new chain with an old front.
  18. potatoho

potatoho Cheese and Rice!

Oddometer:
    I sorta get what you are saying. Angles & stuff.

There's also a difference in teeth design amongst brands too. I see two types; ones which have triangular teeth, and ones which have somewhat thinner cog-like teeth. In my experience the cog-like teeth seem to wear to a hook a lot faster, so I pick the triangular type now.
  19. j0ney3

j0ney3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey, I had a similar situation, the rear was toast, missing teeth and all, the front looked beefy. I just figured better to replace em both along w/ the chain.
  20. Hipster

Hipster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Will a 118 link chain (stock chain length) work for a 45T x 16T sprocket combination?