LC4 Engine Removal/Replacement

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by laramie LC4, Dec 12, 2006.

1. laramie LC4

laramie LC4 flying something...

Oddometer:
    sorry mars, i haven't checked in on this thread in quite awhile. sorry i missed you when you were in town.

a quick update about the bike;

the engine is still running strong, i guess the last time i finally got everything right. since the rebuild i have also added a FCR-39 which has made me smile even more. i recently have been having over heat issues due to the fan not kicking on. i figured that i had some wiring issue due to all my messing around and relocating of the wire bundles but after some searching found that the temp sensor was bad. unfortunately they want like $60 for a new one and im frankly kind of poor these days. im in the process of buying a new house and have ALL of my money tied up in that. i think i jinxed myself the other day by saying both my bike were running great and wouldn't need any money spent on them for awhile. so instead of replacing the temp switch i just temporarily wired the fan to a toggle switch with a direct connect to the battery ( with a in-line fuse of course) and will run it this way till i get some extra cash to replace the sensor. it seems to work really good and should get me by for now.

laters,

laramie :beer
  2. laramie LC4

Oddometer:
    WOW, havent seen this thread in awhile.

anyways, fixed the missing pictures so everything should be complete. if there are any questions or problems let me know....

laters,

Reset1 likes this.
  3. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Heya Laramie,

I finally got ya in the Index! Sorry, but I was busy chasin' my tail for 'bout a year. :bluduh
  4. laramie LC4

Oddometer:
    no problem, thats pretty much what ive been doing too......

5. Aussie Jase

Aussie Jase Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I tried to get a replacement motor into my 640 adv last night after 4 hours of scratching the paint off and getting frustrated, and needing more Bundy (cause its too cold for beer:evil ) I ended up taking the rear tappet cover off (had already taken the front off as per instructions), damn motor almost fell into place, just in case some one else comes across this problem thought it may be worth sharing.

Jase

PS small tip use blue nitrile gloves (like the medics have), keeps hands free of nasty synth oils and you still get the dexterinty to play with all the fiddly bits.
  6. Tappet

Tappet Feral

Oddometer:
    Hey Laramie thanks for this thread. I only did the carb removal but your beer pacing was spot on.

Cheers!
  7. vdlcinc

vdlcinc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok... I got the carb off... had to wrestle it out of there though. A tight fit with those two boots.

But for the life of me, I can not get it back on. Is there a trick to do this?
  8. mars

mars Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer:
    unplug the wiring harness, remove the two bolts holding the upper rear frame in place, loosen the muffler connections and mid pipe, look for any other hoses and wires they let the rear subframe drop down. it doesn't take that long and it gives you a chance to clean the mid exhaust pipe with steel wool and put dielectric grease in all of the connections.
  9. DaBit

DaBit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When reinstalling my engine I was missing about 1.5mm of space for reinstalling the bottom spacers/skidplate mounts. It just wasn't there; wigglewiggle on the engine, left/clutch side slips in. wigglewiggle again, right/generator side was impossible to fit due to 1.5mm too little space. On the left side it was a close fit; no space left to move the engine to the left.

I ended up beveling the top of the spacer a little using the bench grinder, and tapping it in with a plastic mallet.
  10. laramie LC4

Oddometer:
    those can be very tight. i hope you didnt take too much off....

11. DaBit

DaBit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It wasn't just tight; the required 1.5mm wasn't there without spreading the bottom frame rails.

I didn't take off material from the entire spacer BTW, I just beveled the top side slightly so I could 'wedge' it in.
  12. rallyelc4

rallyelc4 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :freaky cheers mate just got my engine out thanks to you i am a groupie:puke1
  13. laramie LC4

Oddometer:
    cool. whats up with the motor? something fail your are you just being preemptive?

14. rallyelc4

Oddometer:
    nothings failed at the moment (the intake roller went at about 35000k) my plan is to strip the whole engine just to check all is well,new piston and crank replace the valves and springs and have the head worked mildly,paint(hammer tone?) the frame and subframe and a WHOLE heap more stuff . i plan to start a thread ive been taking heaps of photos but i am pretty crap on the old computor so it might take awhile

BTW is there any threads that any one can reccomend re: the bottom end

cheers all:freaky :clap
  15. DingDangKid

DingDangKid El Lechero

Oddometer:
    Laramie, you got another groupie here! I'm parting my 640 out and this guide was near perfect. All it needed was more breaks for beer :1drink

Thanks for the write up!
  16. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
  17. rallyelc4

Oddometer:
    http://www.supermotoaus.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2276&d=1300783060 Pic of frame painted orange and crappy half done build thread on another forem
    [​IMG]
    Thanks Clint I found them and have posted and subscribed:evil You Blokes are bloody informative .
    My beast is 100%stripped ATM and is waiting foor about another $1000 before I can move forward
    Then I might start my own build thread so I don't clutter up the others will stupid questions.

Thanks again mate!:freaky
  18. zappa71

zappa71 60.000 km BIG fun

Oddometer:
    Thanks,

Got the big lump out and next step is taking it apart to see why it goose chunk chunk chunk [ had to stop after 340km off road roadbook riding last time, did not dare to finish all the 470km off the ride cause of the noise:eek1]
  19. Chipper6

Chipper6 n00b

Oddometer:
    Just dropped my motor for a swap. I'm going to try and swing the new(er) one in without taking the decomp. mount off.

Thanks!
  20. mortimer

mortimer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the excellent information - just pulled my first LC4 and felt like I had done it before... :D

My tip - you really gotta 'tip' the engine to the left so that the engine comes free from the swingarm pivot, then lift 'er out.