LC4 footpegs

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ncfitton, Jun 24, 2004.

1. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    those are the other size ktm pegs.. 450-500 etc
  2. oldskool640

oldskool640 Jeckle & Hyde

Oddometer:
    The pegs and bracket are standard fitment from a 2004 Adventure LC4 640
  3. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    Not to bring back the dead, but I was lucky enough to purchase a later style alloy peg hanger for the left side of of my 2003 640A for less that $20 American. Now I can run pretty much any peg I want (so I can finally ditch the mini-bike pegs). What no one has quantified in the thread is that the new peg hanger needs a pair of socket head screws that are not in the KTM catalog. Apparently the later bikes are threaded and as such require a stubby bolt that is threaded into the frame. The earlier models need a bolt that passes through and is "nutted" on the back side. That mystery bolt turns out to be a socket head (allen) 10mm 1.5 pitch and 65mm in length.

That means use a 60mm with Loctite or use the 70mm to get a full purchase on the nylock nut.... :deal
  4. Tseta

Tseta Lost

Oddometer:
    Note also that the original bolts with the alloy hanger were of a "low-profile head"-design (to DIN7984 or DIN6912), but in this application it does not really even matter. Regular allen head (DIN 912) will work just fine.
  5. programradio

programradio Master of None

Oddometer:
    thread from the dead..

Can anyone comment on this? It looks like 58403038000 was superseded by 58403038100. 666 said he had trouble with this interfering with the kickstart. anyone else have this issue? 666, were you able to sort out the problem? I'm on a 2003 640 ADV and i use my kickstart pretty frequently for cold starts, so i'd like to avoid this issue, but i think it is time to move on to better footpegs (i'm between Fastways and Pivotpegz right now - open to feedback).

thanks!

alec
  6. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 this
  7. biensur22

biensur22 litigious poster

Oddometer:

I purchased 58403038100 in January and mounted some tusk billet racing pegs on my 1998 620adv. They do not interfere with the kick starter or anything else for that matter. although the springs tore some knuckles, there were no issues with the install.
  8. programradio

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  9. Queen of Spades

Queen of Spades tall drink of water

Oddometer:
    Looks like the Dual Star kit is still available:
    http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Brand/KTM/ktm_lc4_oversize_footpeg.htm

Can you believe the miniscule size of the stock foot pegs on your KTM Lc4?
    Like it or not the stock pegs are the same size as what comes on the KTM Mini Bikes!
    That's why Dual Star has put together an OverSize Foot Peg Kit for your KTM Lc4.
    You won't believe how much comfort and control you will gain with our kit installed. Get on top of it!

• Includes all hardware
    • Stainless steel foot pegs
    • Forged aluminum frame bracket
    • Wider than stock for added support
    • 12.9 grade high strength mounting bolts
    • Fits all LC4 based bikes (SC,EXC, SXC, EGS, LC4 etc.) from '93-'03

<table width="448" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1" border="1"><tbody><tr><td height="25" valign="TOP" width="137" bgcolor="#c0c0c0"> ITEM #
    </td><td height="25" valign="TOP" width="445" bgcolor="#c0c0c0"> DESCRIPTION
    </td><td height="25" valign="TOP" width="80" bgcolor="#c0c0c0"> RETAIL
    </td><td height="25" valign="TOP" width="42" bgcolor="#c0c0c0"> QTY
    </td></tr><tr><td height="22" valign="TOP" width="137" bgcolor="#ffffff"> 30-00640-022
    </td><td height="22" valign="TOP" width="445" bgcolor="#ffffff"> KTM Lc4 OVERSIZE FOOT PEG KIT
    </td><td height="22" valign="TOP" width="80" bgcolor="#ffffff"> $183.63
    </td><td height="22" valign="TOP" width="42" bgcolor="#ffffff"> KIT
    </td></tr></tbody></table>
  10. programradio

Oddometer:
    realized i never followed up to report back on my new pegs. first, i can reconfirm that 58403038100 is the correct bracket number. also buy the longer pin that holds the peg in.

58403038100 - KTM
    FOOTREST BRACKET LEFT ALU 05

54803044000 - KTM
    BOLT FOR FOOT PED 03

I wish i would have paid more attention to the above post from ChrisC. After wasting too much time visiting several places in town, I ended up having to special order bolts online (belmetric.com):
    2 x NN10 - Nylon lock (NN10) = $1.08
    2 x BSH10X70 - Allen head (BSH10X70) = $4.50
    2 x BSH10X65 - Allen head (BSH10X65) = $4.36

once i got the new hanger on, the install was easy. i don't recall whether i used the 65 or 70mm bolts, but i want to say the 65mm. put on pivotpegz, so far so good. i haven't been offroad yet, but i did do a longer street ride last weekend. i think i miss the stock rubber inserts a little, but otherwise the pegs did pretty well with the vibration. i have a feeling i might end up looking into a longer shifter arm or a different shaped shifter. my big ol' feet keep getting at the shifter. no rush, though. i probably just need to adjust.
  11. Queen of Spades

Oddometer:
  12. biensur22

biensur22 litigious poster

Oddometer:

This is far and away the best way to go. That dualstar kit would make more sense if it came with fastway pegs, but to spend $180 on what appear to be the new stock KTM pegs, not such a great deal.

I slapped the Tusk billet aluminum pegs on my 620A, after the hanger and bolts the whole project came out just over $100. While the billet is questionable for strength, for $50 if they break I'll commit to fastways or pivotpegs.
  13. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Smugmug is ADV's host; baldy owns both.
  14. Queen of Spades

Oddometer:
    Got the LH hanger, longer pin, some locally sourced bolts with new nylock nuts, and a set of KTM fastway pegs.

Attempted installation of LH fastway peg today and stopped before I could start. The fastway peg appears to be too large for the 625 SXC LH hanger. This is without the camber adjustment bolt.

I've read the word "grinding" a couple places in this thread, but oddly no mention of what or how much to grind. Before I put my new fastways under the wheel of doom I'd like to first know exactly what I need to do from someone who's been there and done it successfully.

[​IMG]

Ugh.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. Queen of Spades

Oddometer:
    MP - I'm not finding a link under External Links to your Yahoo! Briefcase..

Any chance you still have the Fastway guide squirreled away?
  16. Queen of Spades

Oddometer:
    I found the text of Velo's guide but not the all-important pictures showing where he ground on the Fastway peg.

17. Queen of Spades

Oddometer:
    Score!

Found some pics of the grinding as performed by BirtDike. Archived his post here, and will quote below:

18. Queen of Spades

Oddometer:
    Installed:

[​IMG]
  19. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    What's the advantage vs the CJ Designs foot peg extensions?
  20. Queen of Spades

Oddometer:
    Fastway pegs can be set in two height positions - standard/OEM or a lower height for tallies. As far as I know Fastway is the only peg maker that has height adjustment built in.