lc4 fuel tank empty sender

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Loadedagain, Dec 8, 2004.

1. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    any of you clods have problems with your out of fuel idiot light? mine has never come on and i've run right dry out of petrol several times.

the light comes on after the circuit the sender goes "closed" for a couple seconds, then the light flashes and the odo flips to the "f" position. i can make this happen if i jump the terminals at the sender.

just popped the sender itself out right now and i cant get it to go "closed". shake it, scream at it, drown it in petrol, etc, etc... it aint going closed.

y'all think i need a new one? is it just a little float, or is there more in there than i can see?
  2. dagwood

dagwood Banned

Oddometer:
    Whats a fuel tank empty sender? must be that new fangled dumy lamp fer people that can't use the odo. :lol3
    I just wait till it starts to babble then I have half gallon+ to find fuel. :thumb

did you try to move it by hand? or force?? is mechanical or is it electrical like two brass strips that when the circuts broken the light comes on tipe? :ear
  3. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    here is the sender in its natural state... the naught little beetch.

[​IMG]

once she is removed from her home this is what she looks like. if there's a float in there it's a wee one forsure.

[​IMG]
  4. dagwood

dagwood Banned

Oddometer:
    I bet it's not a float but a resistance probe with the cover to prevent sloshing from effecting it causing false readings. sort of like a moister meter. works on ohms of resistance. seen others like it. :nod
  5. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    ohms of resistance? i like that... i'll somehow use it again.

the input to the imo only works when resistance is damn near nil... shorted to be exact. the sender is "open" (zero ohms) when i hold it in air, sink it in petrol with the up side up, sink it in petrol with the up side down, and when i shake the living bejesus out of it.

my feeling is the damn thing is jiggered. just wundrin if anyone knows exactly how these farkin things werk. specs?
  6. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Hit it with a stick then soak it in gin... it'll be fine. If it isn't...
    :stupid
  7. ysr612

ysr612 Long timer

Oddometer:
    this will be a guess but it may be pressure. by the looks of your tank it looks like you have a few miles in the other side when you run dry. On the drz with the clark I have more then 11 miles if I turn the bike on its side and lift to pour the gas to the petcock.
  8. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    pressure? tell me more.

there's a fair amount of fuel left in the tank when the sender goes dry. i'd bet there's 100km (?). no need to put a ktm on its side, as there are petcocks on both tank lobes.. some like to call that "the second reserve".
  9. ysr612

ysr612 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have seen pressure transducers of several types some are so senitive that by the time they are underwater they are full on. some are just a strain gage on the inside of a beryllium brass disk but they have to run into an Opamp. but that looks like it could be just a conductive patch with a rubber bladder and a housing around it to keep the fuel from sloshing. If that is the case you are fucked because if they go bad the're gone.
  10. ysr612

ysr612 Long timer

Oddometer:
    by the way fuel is non polar so those ohmy thingys ain't going to work
  11. Buckster

Buckster Banned

Oddometer:
    It's fucked, replace it!
  12. gybeman

gybeman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It may be a silly question, but do you have both fuel taps open ? I think I ran out once without the fuel light coming on but I had one or both of them closed.
  13. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    I have read that you can use the right side fuel tap as a additional reserve, especially good as the reserve on this monster tank is paltry IMO. Never thought to close both... when you opened them did it still have fuel in there?
  14. dirtrider

dirtrider Dusty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Forget the sender. Just whittle this into a stick. Then you can stick it in your tank and figure out the level any time you want. Damn canuck :scratch
    [​IMG]

:lol3
  15. two trackin fool

two trackin fool Long timer

Oddometer:
    updated price .
    $ 64.50
  16. bmwktmbill

bmwktmbill Traveler

Oddometer:
    For a stick?

b
  17. two trackin fool

two trackin fool Long timer

Oddometer:
    :rofl

I don't know about them there Thumpers but you would need a flex stick to stick my tank .

I normally use the OD but I like the light for back up . Electric fuel pump PLUS I'm not gettin younger ya know :lol3
    FYI
    I dissected the old one . SOME HOW it is electrical NOT a float ....... No clue :scratch :dunno
  18. bmwktmbill

bmwktmbill Traveler

Oddometer:
    Yep, KTMagic.

I can get at least 275 miles out of a full tank so I just set the trip set to zero when I fill and gas around 225-250 miles and reset.

That sender was the first thing I eliminated on my mc so long ago.

bill