LC4 Owners Poll: Premium coolant hoses

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by creeper, Aug 30, 2006.

?

Premium coolant hoses for the LC4

1. Yes... I would probably buy a premium coolant hose kit for my LC4.

2. No... Fancy silicone hoses in pretty colors? You must be high.

3. Fuck Loaded... with a coolant hose.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    SEE POST 68 FOR AN UPDATE AS OF MAY 12TH.

I've been in contact with CV4... the premium coolant hose manufacturer, about making hose sets for KTM LC4s. Adventure, Supermoto, 'E', Duke II, SMC and so on.
    The fellow I've been talking with, Shane Forshee, is interested in doing it, but of course if he makes 500 sets and sells only 100, then he's hosed himself... no pun intended.
    So the question is, if CV4 made hose sets for the LC4 series, and the complete set sold for say... $130 or less, would you be interested in buying a kit?
  2. retroone

retroone Long timer

Oddometer:
    Count me in!
  3. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    if i still have my lc4 i will take a set
  4. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:

I would have sworn you'd go for option 3. :huh Mmmmmm Silicone hose.... you sure?
  5. Zerodog

Zerodog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was thinking of replacing all of mine. The threads weep a little coolant on my hoses so it is probably time to replace them.
  6. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    For $13.00 or less, I'm in.... :freaky

But seriously folks, what does an OEM set cost? A buck thirty might be pretty good by comparison, particularly if the materials are demonstrably better... :ear
  7. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:

The four main hoses add up to $124 retail, $106 with a typical 15% discount.

58335026000 RADIATOR HOSE ..$50.02
    56535025001 RADIATOR HOSE ..$40.54
    58435025800 PREFORMED HOSE $10.25
    58335024001 RADIATOR HOSE ..$24.34
    ...........Suggested Retail Total $125.14
  8. DRZmaui

DRZmaui Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I also contacted CV4. Was tiring to get them to make hoses for the DRZ400. Got the same response, “need more interest before we make some”. I Doubt they will make hoses for the LC4, if they are reluctant to make them for the DRZ’s, I don’t think there is enough in LC4’s to make it worth their time. Too bad, I really would like to have a set for either of my bikes.

BTW, Creep, thanks for info fixing the the Cam cover .
  9. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Don't be such a negative n00b... :wink:

I don't know... I'm not in a position to doubt just yet. I've been given nothing but positive and honest answers by CV4 so far... enough to make me want to continue on course.

The LC4 series has been around for decades with few changes to key elements of cooling system, and as they are perpetually rebuildable, rather than throw-away bikes, I believe there are at least a few thousand in the states alone... up and running.

Of those few thousand, if 10%-15% would buy premium hoses if they were available... I bet 200-300 sets would justify CV4 making them.

I believe that a good percentage LC4 owners, especially those that ride in extreme climates, would pay $130 for a premium hose kit... given the option of that or stock hoses.

Lets face it... the aftermarket for the LC4 series isn't all that good. Before the advent of the RFS series, the LC4 was KTMs top dog, and there were way more accessories than there are now.

On behalf of other LC4 aficionados, I'm tying to give some of the better aftermarket companies a good reason to support us with parts and accessories. I think any LC4 rider could appreciate that logic.
    If I can demonstrate to CV4 that there is a profitable justification for making LC4 kits... and they agree to produce a quantity of kits, then we're all winners here.

C
  10. Odysseus

Odysseus Stoic Philosopher

Oddometer:
    I am definately interested in a set. Thanks for doing the leg work on this creeper!
  11. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Ricardo Kuhn, you wanker you... you don't even own an LC4! (Ah...do you?) :lol3
  12. Hammer

Hammer Hawlin' aZZ

Oddometer:
    Sure- count me in.
    They WILL be orange/blue striped, right? Will there ba a Galouises option? :rofl
  13. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    I'd be happy if they were black or grey... but blue or orange is fine too. Stripped? Don't hold your breath. :wink:
  14. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Naw, I'm to cheap to replace hoses as P.M.'s. I wait until they bust 100 miles from nowhere. Then it's only a few bucks to replace the one and the $100 tow charge.:D
  15. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Is it possible to predict how long the stock hoses last? I know, too many variables... but I have an aversion to stockpiling. Just curious. Plus, how long should the premium set last in comparison?

This is what the website says about them:

ps - thank you for the adequate poll. :D
  16. Two Dot

Two Dot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So Cal (winter) Montana (summer) NC (spring&fall)
    Count me in for a set Creeper...

If YOU like it... I LOVE it.

Stephen
  17. dagwood

dagwood Banned

Oddometer:
    umm...macmasterCarr has high temp clear braided pressure rated hose for like...really reasonable. I thought about getting some once since my coolant is Orange anyway:D but just dropped the ball.

Now if someone bought say a spool of say all three sizes and cut them to legnths and made up complete sets.:deal I'd switch over in a heartbeat.
    So far thats "bling" but when I do need to change mine I will probably buy from them and make a set. will see. someday.:lol3
  18. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Adequate says it all. :D

No idea on life... Making the leap of faith that KTM hoses are at least good stuff, and not low-bid junk, I'd say stockers last 3-5 years and top shelf stuff goes at least 1/3 to 1/2 past that. YMMV
    All wildass, not the slightest bit educated guesses on my part. In other words... :dunno
  19. herobikes

herobikes HE AINT HEAVY HES MY LC4

Oddometer:
    After 17,ooo miles mine could stand some hoses , count me in , thanks for the recent post on brake pads creepy.:clap
  20. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    I've used said same stuff for oil lines on Hardly-Dangerouses... It tends to get "hard" and brittle after awhile exposed to oil heat... and the inner and outer hoses, sandwiching the nylon braid tends to separate.
    I would have to replace all of it at least every year. Actually had them crack and leak more than once.

Can't imagine what being exposed to coolant and higher pressures would do. :dunno