LC4 rocker arms

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by matsplatuk, Nov 1, 2005.

1. FlDog

FlDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I couldn't find this thread before I posted in the Thumpers section.. Right in front of me the whole time.. duh!
    Look at all the play my rocker arms have:

Do I just buy more thrust washers to take up the play or do they make special shims? If so, anyone know the P/N's??
  2. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    The shims are available through ktm in vairous thicknesses , just Google up the KTM online fiche to find the part #s..
  3. FlDog

FlDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I'm going to remove the rocker arm cover and do an inspection. Hopefully, shims are all I need.
  4. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    There is also some rocker side play adjustment in the shaft itself... You just loosen the 4 clamping bolts on top of the valve cover and see if the shaft will slide in a slight amount ... Sometimes the rocker shaft with the hole that the cover bolt drops through is pulled all the way out giving you a loose axial measurement.. I usually try to set my shimming so the holes {cover/shaft} are centered and align to each other, if the clearance is a bit loose then I will push the shaft in till it presses against the feeler guage and still make sure a bolt will drop through...
  5. FlDog

FlDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was thinking about asking that question. I took the rocker cover off tonight and while holding it, with the bolts out, I pushed in on the shafts and the play went away.. I then put the bolts back in and pushed in the shafts and and although I didn't measure it with a gage, the play seemed right. I was going to ask if the play would stay like that when I reassembled and tightened the bolts... Will it ??

btw Harley twin cams have a problem with the rocker shafts being loose and making a lot of noise.. people try to modify the hole through the shaft and other ways to remedy it.
  6. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    The play will stay once the bolts are tight as it puts clamping pressure on the shafts...
  7. FlDog

FlDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply. Good news, but I should have known!

The couple of time when I rode the bike, I noticed when I shut the engine off, right when it stopped, I could hear a kind of rattle.. could this be related to the play? OR do I have other problems?
  8. tmEvol

tmEvol Searching for the perfect bike

Oddometer:
    Good info, thanks!!
  9. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    No, the rattle is probably coming from your auto decomp as the camshaft slows down and is nothing out of the ordinary..
  10. FlDog

FlDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you again! I did a dry fit with bolts and I see that by pushing in on the shafts, the play goes away..it will be tricky to get it to the right specs doing it like this, but then again, unnecessary shimming would be just as hard.. Thinking about sealing it with a very thin bead of Hylomar (it has never let me down) and calling it a done deal. Sounds okay to you using this product ??
  11. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Never heard of that product, I always use 3bond 1211 on my stuff... But if your stuff can withstand heat, oil and chemicals it should be fine... I tried the Hondabond {1216} stuff years ago and it did not stand the test of time like the 1211 does..
    Queen of Spades likes this.
  12. FlDog

FlDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  13. FlDog

FlDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Measured the play, it was about .9MM on both exhaust and intake. Decided to just order some .5MM thrust washers as I could not find any shims listed anywhere. Hopefully I can get the tolerance I need, although it would have been nice to find some .2MM shims.
  14. Queen of Spades

Queen of Spades tall drink of water

Oddometer: