LC4 Spark Plug Socket

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by b17flyguy, Apr 21, 2006.

1. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've changed oil over a dozen times... always a new crush washer and a torque wrench... never had a problem (bit like changing plugs) finger tight then nipped up, slow and even pressure.

The main drain bolt required that much force to undo... I 'pooped' a little bit when it came free!....

Mechanics under pressure to turn around each job against the clock... where's the torque wrench?.... aw fcukit! gnaa-ahhh! Shit! have we got some 3Bond.... that'll do.... next!

I like the grease on the drill and tap advice... cheers Donkey! Now where's my Uriah Heep cassettes?.... :lol3
  2. Donkey Hotey

Donkey Hotey De Jo Momma

Oddometer:
    Yup, exactly the same as mine. And when it came out, the threads were still attached to the bolt. That's what I'm saying: I think there may be something different about the plating on that particular drain plug that causes the corrosion. I don't remember how many times I've seen that same problem with the same bolt for people on here. If over-torquing was really the problem, they'd have failed upon installation, not on removal.
  3. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    :lol3

I tend to think its like braaap! says with the mechanics, or when owner's doing it themselves have some pile of shit on their mind, and they go out to do a little Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance without warming up properly! My mind was obviously not clear when I set the direction on the ratchet...

If there was a systemic problem with an oil drain plug it would be addressed by KTM. If only the disService Centers would address their problems.
  4. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ah Ha! The mag' drain bolt on mine was perfect before the shop did the last change... I put the socket on it expecting it to be as 'effing tight as the large plug.. yet it was only finger tight!.. close inspection on removal, shows silicone / sealant had been applied around the crush washer and head of the drain plug.... :brow

You could be right that removal of the plug stripped the thread out.. just as easy as it could have been stripped out during the install... Whether KTM metalurgy is suspect, all I'm saying is it's a complete bitch that it happened in the shop... and the simple fact it wasn't communicated or noted on the service sheet.

If it had of been, I'd be philosophical... shit happens right? at least if it fails near home I can always get a taxi.

:D
  5. Deep

Deep n00b

Oddometer:
    OMG why would they do that!
  6. Hurricane Bob

Hurricane Bob Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

thin walled spark plug sockets in the lawn mower dept at lowes and home depot.
  7. Donkey Hotey

Donkey Hotey De Jo Momma

Oddometer:
    Because 10 years ago, a gifted, clairvoyant engineer in Austria knew that in 2012, somebody would be so shy that it would take them 6 months to spend their first post in a three year old thread. :lol3
  8. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:

I'll say it - NICE FIND! :beer
  9. motzingg

motzingg n00b

Oddometer:
    sweet!

bumping this

the stamped 'screwrench' (scrench) style was my first thought but i don't have the 5/8 one, just the more common 13/16...

we'll see if this clears the cam bosses on my '89 600 LC4, its more of a height clearance issue thing than diameter, my 18 mm socket just barely fits in the hole, but its too tall to make the turn.