LC4 Steering head bearing, a how-to-guide...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by laramie LC4, Sep 15, 2006.

1. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
  2. paddythesmith

paddythesmith Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All went pretty smoothly on my headset bearing maintenance - 02 KTM 640 adventure. I was happy to find they'd been well taken care of, with no rust and clean grease. I'd submit a couple/few things that I noticed when doing the task:

-didn't remove the L fork leg plastic protector, had to remove my speedo sensor though, and just removed the plastic guide holding the brake line and speedo wire from the leg protector. My personal experience has been that the leg protector bolts can be a little touchy/easy to crossthread. Then again, the guide is sort of wood screwed in to the leg protector, so take your pick.

-didn't need to remove the ignition, left it attached and wired up, was able to just tie up the top triple clamp to my road book holder.

-At the top triple clamp, there's a wire hoop guide holding the decompression cable and brake line/speedo wire - I found it helpful to disconnect one of the two bolts holding it in place to get 'em out as I removed the bars.

-If I'd do one thing better next time - it's get a piece of wood or PVC the right length to hold up the greased lower bearing assembly so it wouldn't fall out when futzing with the top end. I had to call my wife into the garage as I couldn't do it all with two hands - my handle bars were tied to the road book holder and placed just enough pressure on the upper metal/aluminum dust cover (over the top bearing) that I couldn't assemble the top components one-handed.

-used a pneumatic grease gun, narrow tip with marine grease (sta lube) to inject into the bearings, worked great.
  3. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Guide is working out for me - thanks Laramie!

I wanted to soak the lower bearing but it isn't coming off like the upper one, which came off when I removed the lower triple clamp. Suggestions? :ear
  4. markwoodlief

markwoodlief Long timer

Oddometer:
    I realize this thread is a bit old but i'm about ready to do mty headset check, and likely replace the bearings. not sure yet.. used bike i just got and has a little play upfront that i'm not liking at all.. it seems the pictures dont seem to be showing up anymore in oyr post.. assuming the dont exists?

any way to repost those pics? kind of a visual guy, :)

Thanks!
  5. laramie LC4

laramie LC4 flying something...

Oddometer:
    the pics are hosted over at ktmtalk.com and admin has been archiving some of the older photos. thats why they aent showing up here. if you havent koined over there yet, go ahead and then you can check this post. its the exact same thing just at ktmtalk.

http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=188380

one of these days ill try and host all the pics on my flickr site and then repost them but till then, this will ahve to do.

laters,

laramie :beer
  6. markwoodlief

markwoodlief Long timer

Oddometer:
    thanks.. i was just over there when your email came in.. checking it out now..

Thanks for the clarification.. i actually just right clicked the pictures that werent showing up and looked at the URL of where they were supposed to be coming from on noticed the KTMTalk tag in there..

So.. post was helpful in two wasy one showing me the mess i'm about ready to make of my headset, :) and two pointing me to the ktm talk forum..

Thanks!!
  7. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    There might be a thing or two for you in my adventure using Laramie's how-to over here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310809

I found it pretty easy, thanks to Laramie :beer
  8. markwoodlief

markwoodlief Long timer

Oddometer:
    just pulled it off using these instructions on a 00 640 Adventure.. no problem at all.... found bearings to be lacking grease but caught in time..

Thanks!!!
  9. PackMule

PackMule love what you do

Oddometer:

Hey, Laramie, I just grabbed the pics from KTMT and uploaded them to my smugmug. I'll go in and edit your original post when I have a chance so the pics work again. :thumb
  10. PackMule

PackMule love what you do

Oddometer:
    Okay, that was a pain in the ass because of the font formatting, etc, but the pics should be back up in Laramie's original post, linked to my smugmug. :cob

Thanks for the great writeup, Laramie. Feel free to re-edit it to your own hosting if you want, or you can just leave it as it is. Whatever works for you. :beer
  11. laramie LC4

laramie LC4 flying something...

Oddometer:
    thanks !

laramie :beer
  12. markwoodlief

markwoodlief Long timer

Oddometer:
    scratch post above.. all didnt go as planned..

I removed the triple clamps etc.. got it all apart, cleaned, let sit.. greased the piss out of both the top and bottom beearings.. They didnt look bad at all.. no obvious signs of wear.. put it all back together again..

Figured it was fine, but as I mounted my forks I noticed a little play.. it seems that it still feels like there is about 1/8" play up there.. like the bearings are bad, but i just dbl checked them..

This is my first adventure.. but is there supposed to be any plan in there? I know when i did the bearings on my wr.. it was nice and tight when i was done..

Could the bearings be toast without any obvious signs of wear? .. seems not correct either.. ?

Anyone?
  13. markwoodlief

markwoodlief Long timer

Oddometer:

so.. i'm just lame.. remember to tighten up the headset before you check for play, freak out, and post something stupid..

all is well.. :)
  14. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:

:lol3

we luv an inmate with the guts to tell it like it is... :clap
  15. dblacknj

dblacknj Master of the Obvious

Oddometer:
    In my 36 years of bikes, I never even thought that the triple clamps and stem would come apart. Thanks to all the info above, I was able to press my mine
    apart and install a new bearing. Just another chapter in a a long process of bringing my 96 RXC400 back to life.

Anyhow here's 2 pictures for those like me, who have never seen the stem
    pressed out.

Attached Files:

16. dblacknj

dblacknj Master of the Obvious

Oddometer:
    And the pieces

Attached Files:

17. johan

johan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you have a divine rod or some shit like that? How on earth do you manage to get any kind of force downwards along the stem when placing a punch on the bearing ledge. If I do that, 50% of the force will go into the stem and bend it or something like that

EDIT: Found a press at the mech. eng. dep. here at the uni. God damn, life is good when you have the right tools. One pull and it popped out...
    I'll have to go and find myself some kind of hydraulic press or something, I don't see this bearing coming out. Tried cooling and heating to no avail...
  18. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    That looks like the easy way to replace that lower bearing. I don't otherwise have the tools to get under that lower bearing without destroying the seal, if at all.

How did you get the stem back in place?
  19. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    Bump...

Is pressing out the stem a good/bad way to replace the lower bearing? Does it have to be pressed back in again?

Ta.
  20. johan

johan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To press in the stem, I just used the same hydraulic press as I used to press it out. Piece of cake if you can gain access to one. I don't know if a heater and a hammer would have done it just as easily.

No problems pressing on the new bearing after having had the old one pressed out either. I just took the old bearing, cut it open using a dremel, and used it as a protection over the new bearing. Hammer and rod, and it took 10 seconds to get the new bearing in place