LC4E Accessory outlet

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by djchan, Aug 19, 2006.

1. djchan

djchan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Allright - I'm gonna take the plunge and get a GPS for my LC4E...prolly a Garmin Quest. Has anyone else mounted a cigarette lighter type outlet on the enduro? Being a lot more minimal than the Adventure - I'm wondering where is a good place to mount the little devil.

TIA
    Dean
  2. Greg Podlaski

Greg Podlaski fat ass

Oddometer:
    I put mine right above the key however i hardwired my etrex directly to the battery as the cig plug would unplug during serious offroading
  3. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Like Greg said, forget the cig lighter plug for an off-roader. :nod

Either hardwire the lead in permanently, or get a good locking QD connector for it like a Deutsch connector.
  4. djchan

djchan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Greg - that was my first and only thought as well. I may just run mine off AA battery power while offroading and leave the plug for onroad. Did you purchase the US topo software for offroad? I've been trying to forge a dualsport course right to the Canadian border from Central Maine. Be nice if I actually knew where I was.

Dean
  5. djchan

djchan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Creeper - is there a connector to make for easy hardwiring? Electricity and I are not exactly on speaking terms. Sometimes it bites me and I'm afraid to bite back.

Dean
  6. Greg Podlaski

Greg Podlaski fat ass

Oddometer:
    Ive tried every battery trick with no success the old girl just shakes to much. I recommend running a lead with a inline fuse directly from your battery and ditch the cig lighter idea.
  7. Greg Podlaski

Greg Podlaski fat ass

Oddometer:
    Also go with at least a ram mount or better yet the touratech mount.
  8. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Deutsch connectors are what I use when I want a relatively small, available in anything from 1 pin to 16 pin, completely water proof and very secure electrical connection.
    I currently use the two pin connectors for front turn signal QDs, HID light QD and GPS QD. With a 640A fairing to remove on a semi-regular basis, it's nice to have something that I can disconnect with one hand.

[​IMG]

Harley-Davidson has been using them for years.
    I mention HD because most dealers carry most of the connectors in stock... but are sold in individual pieces.
    The pins, pin locks, seals and connector bodies all have separate part numbers. If you need spare crimp pins or seals with the intent of reusing the connector bodies, itÂ’s kinda handy.

Absolutely a Touratech... preferably a MvG mount.

C
    Eats Dirt likes this.
  9. Castleman

Castleman Guest

I hard wired a cig. lighter adapter on my LC4e and used a small strip of velcro to attach it to the top of the fender, directly under the head light mask.

I also use my cig. lighter adapter for my Etrex legend in my motorhome and LandCruiser, so it needs to be removable. I know the Etrex is old school, some day I would like to upgrade to a color screen and bigger screen GPS when funds allow.

I also run the RAM mounted to my handle bars. I use it because I also use it on my mountain bike.

Good luck