LC8 Adventure Second Fan Install

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by cyborg, Feb 18, 2011.

1. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    Check to make sure your fan blades on both fans are not making contact with loose wires or tie wraps (factory f ups... DAMHIK). Any contact directs vibration into the fan shaft causing the bearing to wear out, which adds drag on the fan and blows fuses.

Try spinning your fans to check if bearings are bad.

Also check the fan wires where the factory guys zip tied them to the shroud that they didn't pinch the wires.
  2. RoundOz

RoundOz Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer:
    If those things arent the problem, and if its a glass fuse (like a 2AG) make sure it is a slow blow fuse - motor starting can cause some inrush current that will blow a fast acting fuse. If its a blade fuse i think they are all relatively slow blow anyway.
  3. OpieGB

OpieGB Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A belated thank you for this incredibly helpful post. Taking the time to take the pictures as you did, with arrows, etc, was really kind. Cheers, and wish me luck today! :clap
  4. jrodgolfer

jrodgolfer Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Just an install note that helped me tremendously when unhooking the fan plug and reconnecting:

I have the Rottweiler intake and it was much easier to remove the glove box and stick my hand down in that area to remove the plug than to use a coat hanger. I think removing the airbox to gain access to that area is a lot easier than fiddling around with coat hanger. Just my .02.
    campfire likes this.
  5. campfire

campfire Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great post! Thank you! Has anyone installed the Rottweiler fan kit? Going back and forth on different kits.
    jrodgolfer likes this.
  6. Panicfishwater

Panicfishwater Adventurer

Oddometer:

yes i did. SIMPLE!!!
    campfire likes this.
  7. jrodgolfer

jrodgolfer Wannabe

Oddometer:
    I think all the kits are very simple. A pretty easy install to be honest.
    campfire likes this.
  8. Tokolosi

Tokolosi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Quote from Black Dogs web: " Our fan shroud is designed to have a minimal impact on air flow when the fan is not activated, unlike other systems. "

What do they mean or imply? I bought the Rottweiler Kit but read now of the heat on the right side tank? Rottweiler kit a mistake then?
  9. OpieGB

OpieGB Adventurer

Oddometer:
    An update, I'm not the greatest wrench in the world, but I was able to install with no problems. I was a little confused because my harness pigtailed differently than the one in the photos but it made sense. It did take about 20 min for my fumbling hands to get the harness connected - I ended up making a variation of the coathanger tool that involved a dowel for additional rigidity. Again, thanks so much to the author and the detailed photos. It made this much easier.
  10. World Traveler

World Traveler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Where can u buy this kit in Europe of the UK?
  11. raddad

raddad Raddad

Oddometer:
    The second fan is only a small help from my experience on my 990 Adv R. The bikes are mapped waaaay to lean to get then past US smog. Also, the smog and exhaust systems on these bikes makes them get actually hotter. I live in the desert and heat is a serious issue. Remapping the bike, plus the fan and for those who like add bling to their bike get rid of the smog pump etc and add some Wings exhaust. A solid titanium muffler system that is Half the price of Akropovic. You will then be shedding between 15 and 20 bike pounds in the process of running so much cooler.
  12. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    FWIW, I installed a Spal 5.2" as a second fan about a year ago. I had not been having any big issues with overheating, just hoped it might help keep the bike cooler when riding slow speed stuff. I also installed a lower temp fan switch. With the low temp switch, fans would kick on at 4 bars - even was doing it at times when it was cool enough I was wearing my electric vest and had my grips on (upper 30s, low 40s) (slow trails)

I found I was having voltage issues - battery died a couple of times, electric vest not putting out like it used to etc. Ive since installed an inline manual switch such I can shut off the second fan, went back to the stock temp switch, and installed a voltage meter so I can monitor while riding. The voltage drop when the second fan kicks on is significant. ill check tomorrow exactly how much it drops (sorry...ive got CRS right now...dont recall specifics) - but enough i am sure it was the cause of the issues I was having.

Perhaps the draw of the 4.5" would be a lot less - I went with the 5.2" as the CFM flow rate was way higher. My thought is between the manual switch and going back to the stock temp switch and ability to monitor voltage on the fly, I will have best of both worlds. Max cooling when I need it, while being able to go back to stock when needed.
  13. trautfel

trautfel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    From your experience would you say its better going with the 4.5 or even with the 4" rather than the 5.2"?
  14. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
  15. trautfel

trautfel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm wondering if enough air will be able to flow through when bike is moving with both fans now blocking most of backside of the radiator or a large percentage of it. Will cooling now be more reliant on the fans? even when moving?

Anyway I just pulled the trigger on the 5.2 Spal. ... and a manual switch. Thank you! If you dont mind I might be requesting some guidance or pics when I do the install.
    KTM Mike likes this.
  16. RoundOz

RoundOz Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer:
    It’s s fair question but I have a gut feeling that the much more important barrier to airflow is the radiator core itself. In other words I doubt that the second fan adds much extra air resistance. In my opinion it’s a philosophical question anyway - if you are riding slow or stopped in traffic on a hot day, you NEED a second fan. That’s been my experience. This machine was designed to run at high speed in a racing environment, with an aux oil cooler, not be stuck in the lemming race or coaxed into doing single track. Lean FI programming and thousand degree catalytic converters don’t help either.
    trautfel likes this.