1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Le Tour 2020 Covid Edition *now with spoilers*

Discussion in 'Sports' started by enduro0125, Aug 21, 2020.

1. Bullseye

Bullseye Mr. Bad Example Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds fine to me.
    If I was an Ineos sponsor (and that is a pricey proposition), I'd be asking Darth Brailsford exactly what am I getting for my money in 2020?
    Team Death Star's image and reputation is so bad they have to change the name and jerseys every 6 months.
    3 former tour winners on the team and none of them ready for TDF 2020.
    If I were a 2020 Ineos sponsor, I'd be looking for a refund.

Bernal seems like a good kid, maybe I am speaking too soon. Maybe he can find some form before this week is over.
    I haven't seen today's stage just yet... almost caught up.
    shrineclown and Schlug like this.
  2. Schlug

Schlug JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer:
    put something on and stay in that position.
    I listened intently to a couple of Bernal's interviews and thought I might really have to pull for him after he leaves Ineos. He was honest and relatable.

I wouldn't feel too poorly-- Ineos' budget was reported as only 40 million in 2020. :lol2
    Bullseye likes this.
  3. Codewheeney

Codewheeney Callipygian Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, clearly, you need to stop surfing ADV and figure it out!

Seriously, though, I can't imagine bike riders wearing mouth pieces, but the rate at which electronics continue to shrink, maybe in a few years?

Today's stage was kind of disappointing, I think Ineos/Sky and now Jumbo Visma have broken the tour. Watching a dominant team just pull and pull is impressive but not entertaining. I hope to see more one on one battles. Maybe stage 17 and 18 before the time trial?
  4. GotMojo

GotMojo Long timer

Oddometer:
    You’re suffering from a lack of imagination... Think implants!

Helmets, especially bike helmets don’t necessarily move with the skull making measurements on it more or less useless. MIPS style technology only exasterbates the situation.

jumbo was very strong but that pack stayed till the end. Anybody can still pull off a hero ride and take it this year. Soooo nice to not see skynious dominating anymore!
    Schlug likes this.
  5. Codewheeney

Codewheeney Callipygian Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Googles MIPS. TIL
  6. enduro0125

enduro0125 Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer:
  7. Schlug

Oddometer:
    I find the Lazer helmet to be exceptional in weight, air flow, and retention. If you can make a helmet difficult to move around on your head and still forget it's there moment after donning it, it's a winner.

[​IMG]

I tried like hell to buy one of the Movistar Abus helmets, but they were not easy to find.
    Once Skyneos stops using the Kask helmet, they will make the list.

How about this, since the shell moves more than the person's head might, how about a sensor in the buckle of the chinstrap?

But then I suppose some nutnik won't have his strap done up correctly.
    enduro0125 likes this.
  8. GotMojo

GotMojo Long timer

Oddometer:
    You want the sensors to 'see' the same forces as the brain does. That means 2 things:

1. It has to be 'coupled' to the skull so that the force measured is what happens *after* the helmet does its job.
    2. It has to be 'lined up' with the head so that you are measuring the forces on the brain. The top of your head is traveling much faster than the neck area in a whiplash situation. In a perfect world, you'd want to drill a hole in the head and jam a stick in there with the sensor placed dead center and anchored at both ends. :jack
    I write the code that collects data from the sensors for analysis. There is a whole scientific discipline dedicated to interpreting the data and correlating it to brain injury. Google TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury) if you're interested.

The limiting factor isn't really the technology. It can be (and has been) done. I worked on a project for the Army where we built sensors that were embedded in the helmets. For a while a lot of people were wearing them in the field.

https://www.army-technology.com/news/newsbae-supply-additional-heads-sensors-us-army/

The real problem in a commercial setting is cost. Nobody wants to pay what it costs to develop a truly accurate, functional and useful device. Even with the combined power of the Freds, the cycling market is too small to support such a thing. The sensors you can buy now are just toys.

The mouthpieces in this video are what I was referring to:

9. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like Specialized helmets because they fit and I used to be able to find the less than S-Works locally. I'm wearing a pre MIPS and tip over sensor call Giro. It has yet to rot to death, so it will stay as my helmet for a while more.
    The last time I was working in the PNWet they made us wear helmets in the factory, which was when we left our offices. So, to go get coffee, I donned a helmet. :fpalm

Anything they would have dropped from overhead would be heavy enough to mash me so the helmet I guess was to be able to count how many people made up the mashed pile of flesh? :eek7

Though the next helmet will be a MIPS and goo ventilation. I somehow manage to end up with a lot of white helmets I suppose thanks to sale prices. Like the white shoes. :dirtdog
    :imaposer
  10. Mr Head

Oddometer:
    I tried steaming the feed today while attempting to ride Kinomap. The only feed off the computer/browser is the full NBCSN feed with ads. They seem to show a minute or two of the race, then five minutes of commercials, over and over. I "trained" for a bit over a half hour with a non-recorded warm up. They didn't even get to the sprint before I was done.

Upstairs to the app on the AppleTV, and streaming the ad free.
  11. shrineclown

shrineclown Board Butcher, Fastener Haberdasher Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, who is it going to be? 3 real tests left.
  12. Mr Head

Oddometer:
    I think Roglic has this. Though one more big nasty mountain stage to go. Unless he folds on the TT he wins.
    Totally a guess. Bennett has the green. That TT course is short, but finishes on a first category climb.
    Mr Potter, ferals5 and enduro0125 like this.
  13. shrineclown

shrineclown Board Butcher, Fastener Haberdasher Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sure looks like you are right. If he stays off the wall, it is his.
  14. enduro0125

Oddometer:
    I was pulling for “Little Poggy” today.
    At 21 I think he’s just too young to pull it off.

Roglic seems to have this one nailed down.
    Schlug and ferals5 like this.
  15. Schlug

Oddometer:
    What a great stage. Blisteringly fast first hour (no matter who claims otherwise) and a really enjoyable run up to the finish. We have got to see that bike path again.

Forget that path connecting two sides of the mountain, I think it's all I'd want for the day!

[​IMG]

Did all the sprinters make the time cut? Tomorrow will likely be a better measure of that.

tdf3.JPG

They start uphill out of the gate and really start climbing only 15 miles in. The sprint points are 8.5 miles in and Bennett better hope he can recover. Then it's 1, 3, 2, 1, HC, uncategorized.
    ferals5 and Mr Head like this.
  16. enduro0125

Oddometer:
  17. Mr Potter

Mr Potter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Andre Greipel has abandoned, not surprised he is 38, was he the oldest man on this year's Tour ?.
  18. enduro0125

Oddometer:
    Valverde?
  19. Mr Potter

Mr Potter Long timer

Oddometer:
    No, apparently Jens Voigt is 43 and the oldest rider with Chris Horner, Alessandro Petacchi, and Matteo Tosatto also joining Valverde by being over the age of 40.
  20. enduro0125

Oddometer:
    I believe he asked in this years tour.