Leading Links

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by Strong Bad, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Could you please explain? The R1200GSA comes with floating discs up front, NOT floating calipers.

Rising is under hard braking is not a bad thing as long as the suspension doesn't lock up.
  2. Ivan Rider

Ivan Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's a LL setup on a rig from Ohio that stopped by my place a few years ago. He built it him self out of solid shaft after his original store bought one collapsed.

Attached Files:

3. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:

Floating refers to how the caliper is mounted. Urals use a floating design.

Here's a pic' of a floating setup. The caliper is mounted to a 'floating' bracket that pivots on the axle and utilises a stay to stop the caliper from rotating. There's a myriad of ways you can go about designing this.

[​IMG]

And this is a 'fixed' mounting design. As in solidly mounted to the swingarm. Like all things in life, both designs have their proponents and an equal amount of detractors.

[​IMG]
    Combatscoot likes this.
  4. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    Guys get rid of the telelever altogether including the upper ball joint clamp. Wouldn't that be an easier way, completely change the triple clamps to a diameter of choice and then to install conventional tubing LL's? No need to figure out the top clamp or make a rigid strut to replace the shock nor weld tabs onto the legs for the brace.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    Yes, I understand the difference in the mounting of a floating disc vs a floating caliper and thanks for posting the pics for those who may not.

For me, I highly doubt that I would change away from my Stoker's front wheel utilizing the stock floating disc with solid caliper unless it is somehow a dangerous combination. Using a floating disc with a floating caliper is a mistake....right?

FR700, what do you consider to be the key design elements when you build your LL?
  6. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    Dan :evil
    It's time for you to have a spanking ! Just because something can be done doesn't mean its a great idea, the guys who tried to put conventional forks on oilheads have long since gone out of business the market has spoken,.
    They wanted 7 k $ for a kit to adapt a WP front and 21" wheel WTF you still have a overly heavy bike that can't follow a KTM off road.
    Lets all get together and build altars to ourselves ! Cause we're all so incredibly clever !
    Claude has already built several non tele leading links even a single sided front swing arm I'm sure you can find them on his facebook page. If you want to pay for one I'll bet he'd build one for you !
    The Aussies who are probably the most accomplished users of off pavement sidecar rigs build very conventional LL forks lets not reinvent the wheel !!!!!!!!!!! :deal
    You've done it now Dan !!!!!!!! I'd been doing so well being a kinder inmate !:lol3
  7. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    I agree, I've seen plenty of awesome "home brewed" LL rigs from down under, I was hoping some of them would chime in and help us out with some insight/knowledge.

It will never last:lol3:lol3:lol3
  8. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    You were way overdue anyways, consensus was an alien must have kidnapped the real DB :D

My incoherent point I was trying to make was to get rid of the upper ball joint clamp and telelever arm and use a conventional triple sourced from .... somewhere ... ebay or whatever and then use conventional LL downtubes.

Am I way out in left field with that :dunno

BTW, I'm going to tell the GF that Dave says it's time for my daily spanking :jump
  9. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:
    There's nothing inherently wrong or dangerous with using a floating rotor in combination with a floating caliper as both are working in opposite planes.

Fixed calipers are just easier and therefore cheaper to fabricate.

Not have the shit fall apart :lol3

I'm in the same camp as Phil. Axle being higher than the pivot point of the swingarm. You could compare it to having more castor on a car/truck.

10. davebig

Oddometer:
    Evidently the EZS guys agree also ! Twintwins rig
    [​IMG]
    The K based rig I acquired
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I bought that bike cause it was fair deal from a gentlemen who had several other rigs and didn't see himself doing long trips with a sidecar anymore.
    What I learned driving it is they are superior to what we in the states have been doing (various trail reducing plans) they are better as they are much stiffer and more accurate than the flexible BMW front end, thought that big front tire is clumsy pushing out of the garage. DB
  11. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    Word. Not having shit fall apart is always a good thing when I'm riding and SWMBO is in the tub next to me!

OK so this confuses me. I thought that caster with a car was the same as trail on a bike? If trail is measured as a line following the steering head angle to the ground, and that point on the ground to a horizontal line drawn from the axle, moving the axle up and down on that horizontal line does not change the angle nor the amount of trail, right? Thanks for putting up with n00b questions.

Dave's pics shows 2 completely different set ups for axle height vs pivot height.
  12. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:

OK I'll clarify that somewhat.

This is my opinion. You want the axle to be traveling rearwards when it begins it active stroke as trail is therefore increased which leads to more stability. Don't worry too much about the so called gain in rake angle.

If the axle is lower than the pivot it is forced to transcribe an arc that reduces trail in its initial travel. Having them at the same level tends to induce a twitchiness (ya like that new word ?!), I've found.

As Phil noted earlier, having the wheel travel arc setup to mimic the action of a conventional fork doesn't hurt.

I also favour having the front of the bike higher as this plays into weight distribution. This is one point that is overlooked by a great deal of people.

13. DJ1

DJ1 Chopper Jockey

Oddometer:
    I have about 200 pics of bikes with LL that I've saved over the last few years, many of the legs go past a vertical angle.

When I was designing my LL I originally drew it with vertical legs but couldn't get the swingarm length and trail that I wanted, an extra 5 degrees in the legs gave me the measurements I wanted. I think that has a lot to do with the angle of bend. The bikes ride height and length of the legs will come into play also.

I will also throw a vote towards the axle being higher than the pivot for the reasons already stated.

I like the floating calipers, if the control rod angle is set correct you should have little if any movement in the suspension. With mine, I get a minor dip from weight transfer but nothing from the brakes themselves.

Dave, if you sit on the bike does the front suspension compress so the axle is at the same height or higher than the pivot?
  14. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    Thanks for making that somewhat more clarified! "Twitchyness" Wouldn't it be like tire & tyre?:D
  15. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply DJ1! I suppose if I was to lay the whole thing out to scale I prolly would answer my own questions.
  16. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer

Oddometer:

[​IMG]

And larryboy rolled his own using a $65 CR500 frame and a few short lengths of tubing.

http://vimeo.com/31914434

It worked well for the intended purpose. Not everyone has larryboy's skills ,imagination or "get 'er done " grit.

[​IMG]
  17. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

This is Eaglebeak's. I like the 'no need for a tube bender ' angle.

This is just one of dozens of LL shown in Pez gs 's thread , Leading Links Designs-Post Pics.
  18. davebig

Oddometer:
    Dan doesn't either, I thought the thread was about leading links ! Now that was a cool BMWONDA but but ................... the threads about leading links
  19. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer

Oddometer:

That the setup could take a conventional LL front end is how it pertains to the thread.
  20. davebig

Oddometer:
    You got me ! I stand corrected ! :D