Leading Links

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by Strong Bad, Dec 17, 2014.

1. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    When discussing centerhubs with Claude he pointed out there's no camber curve to center hub steering the tire contact remains the same, where ever she's pointed.
    The leading link deal is about rigidity and steering the same every time.

Trail reduction is trail reduction anyway you chose will make for easier steering.

A leading link is stiffer and stronger and will yield more accurate steering and more front tire clearance . I don't have as much experience as some but that's been my impression so far.
    If I where wealthy instead of so incredibly good looking :wink::wink: I'd be thinking nice winter vacation to Germany take in a six day bike race, put a deposit down on some Mobec stuff.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six-day_racing
  2. kuhjunge

kuhjunge 3wheel enthusiast

Oddometer:
    Hi folks,
    plenty of comments here. I am not a sidecar builder I prefer riding:evil Based on my GPS, my average speed over that past 1000m before the crash was 67km/h = 42mph.

There were plenty of decisions to be made when the hack was build. The front fork design is done by my sidecar builder and has been used a lot in other builds. This one was already made extra sturdy since the guys knew what we are up to. Based on my sidecar builder's experience (they have been building sidecars for 20+ years in Germany and they are one of the two best builders there) the original telescope fork with a changed trail at the A-arm would never be able to withstand the forces of this hack.

I like the front end, it has been working very well and the hack rides like a charm with up to half load, after that it becomes more like a truck (full load is about 1800lbs) :lol3

My plan is to reinforce the front tip of the A-arm. So in case you know any certified welder in Yuma - area, please let me know:deal
  3. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:
    Bm' also conveniently delayed the introduction of the Hossack design until the patent expired.

That would require a lot of internal machining. Not something for the faint of heart.

Not to mention that the return on investment would kill the deal. Remember, bm' wrote the CAD program and knocked them out by the thousands.

4. twintwin

twintwin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pictures of the ESZ L.L. for the R11XXGS

The L.L. mounted
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Removal of the OEM front end
    [​IMG]

Removal of the upper tree in order to change the steering bearing [​IMG]

Removal of the OEM steering bearing.
    [​IMG]

Replacement of the steering ball bearing by a stronger one. The L.L. + the wheel make a VERY HEAVY front end (at least 10 x heavier than the EOM fork and wheel). So the need to upgrade to an heavy duty one (do not remember the ref #) makes sense. The 2 joint links have also to be removed, If I recall correctly (they are still in place in this picture.) No more angle play with the L.L., so no need anymore for those 2 joint links.
    [​IMG]

The L.L. just slides in the upper tree, in place of the OEM forks. [​IMG]

The 2 big bolts and washers that hold the L.L. in the upper three. (the big ball bearing you can see on the matt, the one provided in the kit, was not the right one, I had to get the correct one, heavy duty, sealed and waterproof, via an online supplier, out of stock with EZS).
    [​IMG]
    Combatscoot, pops and doublemocha like this.
  5. davebig

Oddometer:
    Thankyou twintwin !
    Depuis que je suis arrivé à hacks adv vous êtes le détenu le plus utile ici . Bonne année!
    Contrairement aux constructeurs ici , je ai commandé un ensemble de EZS avec un ensemble de roues , je ne peux pas vous faire avoir les 1150gs plus cool ici ! Ou peut-être vous voulez de toute façon!
  6. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    :ear
  7. rg sw wa.

rg sw wa. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Twintwin,

Thanks for the great pictures and write-up. Did you purchase the LL from a dealer in the US or directly from the manufacture ? And, how hard was it to get the sealed heavy duty bearing ?

Dave,

I believe anything you say, now can someone translate it for me ?

Ron,
  8. davebig

Oddometer:
    Ron
    Google translate would help you out with that,I believe Twintwin bought his directly from EZS in the Netherlands.DB
  9. davebig

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Single sided swingarm on 1150
    [​IMG]
    Hmmmm Airhead
    [​IMG]
    Pretty fancy R12 LL Claude bless his heart doesn't fear plagiarism !
  10. Prmurat

Prmurat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Twintwin: nice fork! Is there a choice of wheels or can you use the stock one? Calipers? Fender?
    Thks!
  11. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    Wow David thanks for posting those pictures. Dunno what you mean by plagerism but, heck maybe you don't know either LOL.

Oh BTW if you look closely at the sidecar 's lower mounting system this is something new. More on that later.
  12. twintwin

Oddometer:
    I have ordered the L.L. and the set of 15' wheels directly from EZS, sidecar manufacturer in Netherlands. Got the parts a couple month later, but you are on your own to mount it.
    The bearing is easy to get in the US. Do not remember the part #, but I have it on my files in the US (I'm right now in India, Bangalore for at least 6 more month).

Yup, even me, born and raised in France, have trouble to understand Dave when he try to speak French.

Maybe he is still using the Old French, as MN (where Dave lives) was in fact part of the French territories since the middle of the 18 century. This huge swath of land was sold by Napoleon to the United States of America in 1803, also as known the "Louisiana purchase".

[​IMG]
  13. twintwin

Oddometer:
    One of the main purpose of a L.L. is that you can use a car wheel with a car tire, and therefore more rubber on the front, help in breaking and more grip in the twisties, especially on wet surfaces. I'm sure you could use the stock wheel, but with major alterations to my set up (axles not same diameter, and swing arm too wide). Just ask Dave at EZS for more info. But 19' EOM BMW wheel, no need for a L.L., just get a Calipers are the same in any case. EOM Fender has to be changed due to the wider front tire, and it comes with the kit.

[​IMG]
    pops likes this.
  14. davebig

Oddometer:
    As usual I may not know what I'm talking about in any language :D But as long as I've been turning up here Twintwin is one of the most helpful guys on this forum. It's -10 F this morning, I'll bet you don't miss that !

To the dismay of several other brothers I'm following Twintwins example and have ordered an EZS fork and pair of wheels, undecided yet if I'll put them on the black bike or go crazy and hack my grey one. I'd bet on the black one getting the attention, I'm thinking 65/55/15 profile tires and gearing it up, the fact that the K-bike is so easy to ride quickly has impressed me.
    FR700 and Prmurat are to blame for reminding me that you can't take it with you or "a shroud has no pockets" , onward.DB
  15. twintwin

Oddometer:
    Hum, 165/55/15 is still a low profile tire. I have experienced the 175/55/15 and did not like it, got back to the 165/80/15. Make sure with EZS that you get the right L.L. (angle of the fork) and therefore the correct trail for the tire you are planning to use, and if you do not like it, be aware that there are only 2 different trail positions possible on the swing arm.
    If I was you I will put the EZS L.L. on your other GS, the grey one. Getting the perfect set up will take some time on the new hack, and could be frustrated, so in the meantime if you still have the black rig with Strocker front end, you can vent and have always some fun on 3 wheels.
  16. Prmurat

Prmurat Long timer

Oddometer:
    So I guess now I just have to get in contact with EZS... Mieux en Français ou en Anglais?? Mon Hollandais craint un peu!
  17. davebig

Oddometer:
  18. Sidecarjohn

Sidecarjohn SidecarJohn

Oddometer:
    Whilst a leading link and enthusiastic user of car tyres for over 30 years, there could be an acceptable benefit in retaining suitable motorcycle tyres on the front wheel. As said tyres have become wider in the past decade, or so, some long term sidecar guys suggest the tyre footprint remains in more consistent contact with the road surface as they take corners.

It's all to do with the profile compared with that of a car tyre, notably the wider variety. I reckon it's a fair point because when it became the Euro norm around the 1970s, the deal was more about longevity and economic prices. Of course, as with many things sidecar, it's horses for courses.
    Combatscoot likes this.
  19. NitroMax

NitroMax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine is perfect :rofl:D

Just do it in English, most of us Cloggies speak/read it ( more then French anyway )
  20. Prmurat

Prmurat Long timer

Oddometer:
    BTW: how does the 15" wheel react on dirt roads? is not it a little too small ?(Yes! I am looking for excuses to keep my stock front wheel...not crazy about the car wheels look!!).