Leading Links

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by Strong Bad, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
  2. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Correct. Inmate dholaday has a set of those forks on his 1200GS rig.
  4. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    Thanks, it's amazing what great minds can come up with.
  5. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    Has anyone on this forum ever bought anything from Unit Forks/ Hedingham sidecar ? If so how difficult was it ?
  6. jaydmc

jaydmc Long timer

Oddometer:
    Before we were making our own leading links we would often purchase from Unit, No problems at all working with Unit. If you are going to phone keep in mind time zones. We found they worked best on the phone.
    Jay G
    DMC sidecars
  7. Hookalatch

Hookalatch Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer:
    Jay is probably right about the phone. I sent them an email inquiry several months ago and never got a response.

Chuck
  8. davebig

Oddometer:
    To all the inmates wondering how to spend the long cold ugly winter (wait that's me ) the Euro and the dollar have never been closer I believe a Euro was under 1.20 today.
    Thanks Jay that's good information.
  9. twintwin

twintwin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dave, when would be the due date for your EZS L.L. ? If you delay a little bit longer the payment, it could be a real bargain with the favorable change, as the $$ may get stronger and stronger versus the Euro.
  10. rg sw wa.

rg sw wa. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Was just thinking the same thing this morning. But, it might only work if the bill is in Euro’s and not dollars ? And Dave, have you got the front end off the bike that the LL is going on so you can shorten the down time ? Can’t wait to read your report and see the pic’s. :deal

Ron,
  11. davebig

Oddometer:
    Come on you guys this is Strongs thread, the only way the Dutch want to be paid is in Euros and with a credit card,so it's a fairly painless way to do it.I wanted to send a cashiers check but they declined that mode.DB
  12. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    Dave, I'm waiting with bait on my breath to see how this works out!!!:D:D:D
  13. Bobmws

Bobmws Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer:
    Anchovy pizza?! :evil
  14. davebig

Oddometer:
    Hiho hiho it's back to work we go ! How's it going Bob ?
  15. Prmurat

Prmurat Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am sorry if this has been asked before: from some accident reports it seems, on 1150gs beemer for example, that the weakest point is the ball on the A arm. How does the EZS LL fixes this problem? The lateral forces are not better with a LL and installing a bigger tire in the front will only amplify the weakest point??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  16. davebig

Oddometer:
    I suspect you are correct but there is no more cost effective way of doing it.Alternatives build a typical motorcycle steer tube (Claude does that in the US). the telelever is not longer going up and down the suspensions in the leading link swing arm, BMW is still using the ball joint and telelever front ends are working well, given the weight and single wheel drive of a BMW GS based rig everything about it needs watching !
    I suspect if one where to visit any BMW engineering group and say I intend to overload your vehicle with 50 % more weight and and the parts I'm using have never been reviewed by mechanical engineers only old race car guys and auto mechainics, you would not get a warm welcome.
    Apparently in Europe the TUV has a say in what passes as sidecar engineering there's no such agency here ! I would bet that if you contacted Dedome sidecars he would say that his designs are approved by Euro Union agencies.Hell in some states of Autralia they need to get their rigs inspected.
    What does anyone thing ? I would be interested in hearing also.DB

Ain't no money in poetry
    That's what sets the poet free
    I've had all the freedom I can stand ........http://youtu.be/BR-1Bgch_l4... Guy Clark
  17. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    Brain storming and thinking aloud here.

I don't seem to remember that anyone specifically had the ball it self fail, rather the failures have been the end of the A-arm where the ball mounts. Also, all of them seem to have been 1100 or 1150 and we have yet to see a 1200 A-arm failure. Each of these bikes use different A-arms...right? The 1100 & 1150 are steel and the 1200 is a forged aluminum piece.

The vector of loads on the end of the A-arm at the ball joint apparently change with the angle of the A-arm? The A-arm can not be positioned with a strut in a "neutral" position (perhaps close to horizontal with the ground?) due to binding (or hitting something?) when the LL suspension is fully compressed? Moving the A-arm to a position to avoid the binding problem puts the end of the arm into a more stressful position.

What if like with the the modified A-arm like Dave likes, the end of the arm after being cut, the end is repositioned into a less stressful angle?? Maybe it would be easier to make a new arm that allows for clearance and has a more friendly angle to the ball joint?
  18. davebig

Oddometer:
    Prmurat
    A few more issues we are not engineers only sidecar consumers Strong has a background in metal work but it's not how he made his living recently.
    Given your French is probably better than ours I would suggest you discuss it with Mr Dedome who probably does both leading link and his own style trail reduction.
    http://www.dedome.com/
  19. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Kuhjunge posted this pic of his a-arm with the comment "Rather thin metal."--

[​IMG]

Not being a metalworker or an engineer, I'm wondering if a steel strap was shaped to wrap around the end of the a-arm and then extend maybe 8 inches down along each side then get welded in place, would that do it? I'm thinking maybe a strap about 1/8" or 3/16" and about 1" tall so that it blends in with the normal shape of the a-arm.

Even people without Leading Links might want to do a simple mod like this if it'll provide the peace of mind folks are wanting.
  20. davebig

Oddometer:
    Damn ! Ned for a change you and I are on the same page ! Our German friend forgot to include the machined steel bushing that sits inside the holes inside the stamped steel arms there's allot more to it than 2 pieces of sheet metal with a hole in them.DB
    Having cut several apart its not as shabby that image makes it look,there's a machine metal bush inside the stamped steel that's pressure welded in place when the telelever's built.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]