Leaking Clutch Master Cylinder

Discussion in 'Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)' started by dwj - Donnie, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    My bike has 91,563 km on it now. The old safety switch is a totally different design and not easily switchable with the new unit. The new Clutch master has a tiny box- type micro switch, rather than the small plunger-cylinder on the stock unit.

I'll try to get some comparison pictures for you.

Clipping the wires and a little solder and shrink tube takes only as long as the soldering iron does too heat. It is very easy, so I wouldn't bother trying to swap the switches.

The new unit has a super easy and smooth feel compared to my old stock unit. I like using my clutch again.
  2. unaweep

unaweep Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer:
    Awesome stuff, Lycan! :clap Thank you very much for posting this. :thumb
  3. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Happy to be of help, since the OC has helped me many times.

More research and it looks like the same type that the new 1190's are using, except that the 1190 has a 12 mm unit and is $273.81.
  4. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    North Carrollton, MS - Traveling on the Moto

Mine has 52,000 miles or about 83,000 KMs, but it has been leaking for a while.
  5. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    I am fairly routine with my maintenance. I reverse bleed my fluid every 4000 km maximum, and sometimes less. It might have helped delay the failure. I had noticed the reservoir fluid being fairly dark before the cylinder started leaking.
  6. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't think that I have done it that often, but I have probably done it at least five times.
  7. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    I don't know how long it takes (or costs) to have a stock one re-sleeved, but for $150.00 (and since you have to take the old one off anyway), it's the way to go. It took me 1/2 an hour to do the switch and a little longer to clean the dust from under the headlight cowl while I had it apart. :wink:
  8. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are probably correct. :deal BTW, I live on my moto traveling most of the time and will not get back to the states for a few more weeks.
  9. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    I lived with the leak for a couple of months, just checking the level in the reservoir every few days and topping up the fluid (level should be 4mm from top edge of res when level) as needed. I carried a bottle of mineral oil, and a small rag in my top case.
  10. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    I always have a bottle on the moto. I have only added fluid twice in the last couple of months, so I am not having a huge problem. But, it needs to be addressed my next visit to the states.
  11. HeatXfer

HeatXfer Bad knees

Oddometer:
    That Magura part No. is not designed for the larger 950/990 instrument pods. I see in this shot the handlebar mount not as "deep" as the stock mount, putting the lever closer to the control pod. Do you get full travel of the lever? Or does the lever/plunger hit the control pod before you get a full squeeze?
    [​IMG]

Stock:

Attached Files:

12. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    No issues at all with contact since the new part's plunger operates at a different angle. I was careful in the placement so it doesn't interfere with anything on the handlebars. Trust me when I say it is an improvement over stock. They make two versions, and one is for switchpod clearance. I honestly don't know if that is what I have, but it works great!
  13. HeatXfer

HeatXfer Bad knees

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  14. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Forest Flyer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep.
    Been leaking for two years.
    Flush & fill twice a year and it's been working fine.
    Black goo comes out everytime.
    I like Lycan's new Magura unit.
    I might have to buy one someday.
  15. l0st

l0st Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I also had problems with my master, at the end, I had to drain the clutch system every 2000km. I solved my issues with custom made CNC maschined seals, I put 15000km on the bike since the replacement, no troubles at all. New seal are slightly bigger, for better sealing. There are a few traces of oil on the lever, but very little and the clutch is working perfect.

Old one on the left, custom made on the right. There are two different seals on the pistom, I changed them both, only had pictured one :)

[​IMG]

I have some spare seals, since the production of one piece is almost the same as for 5 of them, if there is anyone interested, PM me :)
  16. zeropoint

zeropoint Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ^^ PM sent. Thanks.
  17. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Clutch micro switch

[​IMG]
    Clearance when pulled in.

[​IMG]
  18. jmvance1

jmvance1 Mountain cruiser

Oddometer:
    Where did your choke lever end up?

Thanks
  19. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Mine is an 09' 990 so no choke lever. They did sell a version that had the mount for the choke lever on the reservoir.
  20. jmvance1

jmvance1 Mountain cruiser

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the information and I didn't even think about injected bikes not have a choke lever, duh. I'm going to put in all balls rebuild kit and mine today we'll see how that goes. If I still have issues with it I guess I'll have to get it sleeved or replaced.