leaking coolant /collecting on the skid plate

Discussion in 'KTM 950/990' started by ktmnate, Jan 31, 2006.

1. ktmnate

ktmnate Long timer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone had coolant collecting on the skid plate of their 950? Ever since I got my 950 back from service (last October) I have been smelling coolant. I kept checking but never found anything. This morning I noticed a coolant trail all the way down the driveway. The level has gone from max to min in 1000 miles. Not a great amount of consumption but it's there. I would have normally put 4-6k in that amount of time but I havn't been riding it. After having to pay for the warranty work (which sucked) I have been somewhat disapointed with the 950. It's now out of warranty (thanks to the dealer that had it for two months).

I guess I'm just venting. I thought I was buying a rock solid bike. It's just been lots of little things and the bike being down for over 3 months for service in the last year. I still really like riding the bike, I just feel like every time I ride it something breaks.

Nate
  2. RedFlash

RedFlash Go Cubs!

Oddometer:
    It is probably the water pump suction pipe that runs from the thermosat assembly. There are two o-rings that are captured around the pipe with a plate and two small bolts. Mine started leaking at about 11,000 miles, or seven months since purchased new.

There is a very fine discussion here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106495

:deal
  3. ktmnate

ktmnate Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's some funny shit! not the problem because that's where it's leaking from. It's funny because mine now has 11,006 miles. Oh well, I gota get to ordering some parts now.

Nate