1. ** Enter to win a $250 gift card! We want to hear from you, please take this survey **

Take this survey which covers a range of questions about improving the community, the things that interest you and anything else you want to share with us. All responses will remain anonymous.

Click here to take the survey
    Dismiss Notice

Learning how to offroad in southern Sweden

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by theailer, Jul 8, 2018.

1. theailer

theailer xr650r 2002

Oddometer:
    So this will be my first ride report ever =)
    I live in a very well developed part of Sweden with very good infrastructure which is a bit annoying when all you want to do is go offroad. A lot of what looks to be real nice fire roads and such have signs stating that it is forbidden to go with motorized vehicles. And most of our gravel roads reminds me more of highways than offroad. That being said, as soon as I see a road leading in to a forest without these pesky signs I go for it !
    First I want to introduce you to my bike:
    FyhfKM4.jpg
    It is a real nice uncorked, dual sported XR650R with 33000km's on the clock.

My very first foray into the unknown was a couple of weeks ago when I found an interesting road on my way back from a work assignment.
    IMG_20180620_150338.jpg
    I came directly from the "north" in the picture and found this 4way crossing in the middle of nowhere, the three other roads all led to asphalt roads with the dreaded signs on them so I guess I just happened to take the only road where the sign had fallen off or something. Was fun riding in there with big rocks and loose sand. Unfortunately I only took this one picture.

Approx two weeks ago I was a little bit more daring. Though there were no forbidden sign there was this in the middle of the road instead:
    IMG_20180625_161551.jpg
    That's not really even considered an obstacle to this bike =)
    Found some smooth tracks that I guess bicyclists use frequently:
    IMG_20180625_162003.jpg
    And some tracks that where not so very smooth(only 4pics per report so had to switch to imgur):
    [​IMG]
    This was also the place that I had the fortune to go over the handlebar for the very first time ;)

And yesterday I found a small road(no signs or gates in the way) into a forest real close to where I live:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I drove roughly 9kms total inside that forest and I think I fell 5 or 6 times. Man! Do I wish the xr had a magic button yesterday, it is so frikking hard to kick over when it has been dropped. It was around 25-30C but the air was filled with mosquitos so I did'nt want to remove my gear and helmet even though I was sweating like a beast when trying to kick over the bike. To make matters worse the bike is very prone to overheating when riding this slow(the trail tech vapor was indicating that the coolant was 102C as max) so I had to stop and let it cool a couple times. Im going to get back into this forest again, and next time I will try to record some video as well.
    Hope you enjoyed my ramblings and see ya next time.
  2. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very cool ride.
    It is sometimes hard for those of us who live where there are hundreds on miles of trails and primitive roads to identify with problem of more developed areas.

I do not know much about the XR since I have a WR450. I am a slow rider and the bike use to get hot, before I installed a Spal cooling fan behind one radiator. When the Trail Tech yellow temperature light comes on, I turn on my fan with a handlebar switch. I have ridden slow technical stuff in temperatures approaching 100F/37C and the fan kept the bike from overheating.
    theailer likes this.
  3. theailer

theailer xr650r 2002

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
    Yeah I've just ordered a Spal 4" fan and a switch for the handlebar. Will set up my trail tech as yours.
  4. theailer

theailer xr650r 2002

Oddometer:
    A little clip from my latest outing:
    The thing with the kickstart is that I put the choke at max as a kind of theft protection =) but then I forget it was at max when trying to start.
  5. Snapper33

Snapper33 Globetrotter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Worldwide, home based in the United States
    Great to know that you’ve found suitable riding in a place not “suitable”.
    theailer likes this.
  6. theailer

theailer xr650r 2002

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I just have to check so that the hunters are not in the woods at the same time as me ;)
    Don't think they'll appreciate me scaring of every kind of wildlife in a 2km radius.
    TheBritAbroad likes this.
  7. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    I sold my xr for that reason.
  8. theailer

theailer xr650r 2002

Oddometer:
    Yeah, but then you won't look as cool at the café/hotdog place/gas station when you jump down on the kick and drive away all cool'like =)
    CaptCapsize likes this.
  9. theailer

theailer xr650r 2002

Oddometer:
    My latest outing. Turns out I have a enduro track 2km from my house

Unfortunately the camera tilted down abit, bummer.
    CaptCapsize likes this.
  10. moragabiker

moragabiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you. My Great Grandfather was from Fredriksberg, Sweden. Are these photos from the southern part of Sweden?
    theailer likes this.
  11. theailer

theailer xr650r 2002

Oddometer:
    Hi and thank you. Yeah these photos are from the most southern part of Sweden, we have very little forest and mostly flat farmed land instead here. Fredriksberg is somewhere in the middle of Sweden in the beautiful "Dalarna" region I think.
    moragabiker likes this.
  12. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

Plenty of nice areas around fredriksberg, it's the area where smc has the "grus touring" courses.
    theailer likes this.
  13. moragabiker

Oddometer:
    Thank you, Anders -- I would like to ride in Sweden. Is this SMC (Sveriges MotorCyklister)? https://www.svmc.se
  14. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

Sorry, I got the courses mixed up, the one in the fredriksberg area isn't SMC - it's the "Touratech adventure days" ( http://adventuredays.se/en/ )
    For previous years the gps tracks have been released after the main event, making it possible to go there on ones own.
  15. PeteAndersson

PeteAndersson Swede

Oddometer:
    Just come on over, plenty of people here will help you out in planning your trip.
    Have you had any contact with your relatives over here? I've had some of my American relatives visiting "det gamla landet" and it's been a lot of fun and we've found out a lot of interesting stuff about our past.
  16. moragabiker

Oddometer:
  17. moragabiker

Oddometer:
    I visited Sweden three years ago, but I was unable to find my relatives. My Swedish grandmother passed away at age 106, so she is not able to help me locate them. I plan to come back to Sweden, rent a bike, and ride around for several weeks to explore your wonderful country. I also want to ride through Norway because I am part Norwegian, too.
  18. PeteAndersson

PeteAndersson Swede

Oddometer:

Send an email to the church in Fredriksberg and I'm sure they can help you find any relatives if there are any. The records dating back to at least the early 17XX are mostly kept in a very good order.

The roads and the landscape on the Swedish/Norwegian border are a lot of fun, plenty of gravel and logging trails in the forest and good places to wild camp.
  19. moragabiker

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the advice. Happy New Year!
  20. spinnak3r

spinnak3r Let's go braaapping

Oddometer:
    Hello there, a few years back I relocated from Italy to southern Sweden (close to Malmo). I like to explore this wonderland mostly on the TET or the new TST. Since Otto (my beloved 950SE) and I are out there alone, I'm wondering if there are any of you up for a winter ride :-)

Are there any Enduro/Adventure motorbike club in the area you guys would suggest joining?

Joyful rides ahead :-)