Learning one trip at a time in Southern Georgia

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by drklynoon, Oct 26, 2020.

1. drklynoon

drklynoon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well that sounds like a piece of heaven. I floated the idea by the wife and she got squirrely with the idea of riding two up in the mountains. So I may be going stag.
  2. Fla_Dawg

Fla_Dawg Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Graduated HS in 98' in Adel, lived in Cook Co for roughly 5 years before moving back to FL. Know just about everything between Tifton and Valdosta. Also lived in Fitzgerald/Ocilla area briefly as a kid, frequented Ashburn to Cordele (world's largest watermelon market), bc of family living in those areas.

I absolutely want to ride the backroads around Waycross and Folkston, and over to Brunswick one day. There used to be a fall festival in Folkston every year I went to a few times as a kid.

If you haven't already been here, this a cool place to check out in West Georgia. A lot of small towns on the way there too. It's nicknamed the Little Grand Canyon.

https://gastateparks.org/ProvidenceCanyon
    drklynoon likes this.
  3. drklynoon

drklynoon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm looking forward to my Waycross rip coming up here soon. My first motocamping trip was to Blakely and Providence Canyon. Its a really cool area and I would like to explore it a bit more sometime. I didn't know that about the worlds largest watermelon market that is cool. I was surprised at how much cool stuff is around Cordele. It really deserves a bit longer of a trip to see what all is there and enjoy it. I'm beginning to work up another overnight up around Columbus. There is a weird house I want to see called Pasaquan and two covered bridges to see. I have a lot more planning to do but I'm hoping to get out there maybe in March if I can find two good days to go.
  4. drklynoon

drklynoon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I took a ride out to Blue Springs FL. State Park today. Normally, I would have proof of this ride but today was an odd one. I went out with the purpose of testing a new audio setup for my helmet. This was nothing crazy just a gopro with the stupid adapter and small mic jammed through a vent in my helmet. Well the audio worked for the first clip I made. The next 7 clips were all of the Chaplin variety, only not entertaining. In addition, the new mount I have to use to hold the adapter put the camera in a crap position where you really can't see anything. So video was a bust.

Well what about still photography. This is one of my favorite ways to share my trips but alas this didn't go well either. The video stuff distracted me almost all the way to the springs so I didn't take any pics. Once I got to the spring I was met by the park staff. It was a really slow day so they were stoked to have someone to talk to and well that someone was me. 1.5 hours later I had yet to even leave the side of my bike much less went out to look for potential pictures. Well I did get away long enough to peak over the rail at the normally beautiful spring but alas the local flooding has blown it all out and the river has inundated the spring so there wasn't anything to see. No pics of the river flooding either as the park attendant reallllly wanted to chat. I enjoyed the talk, said goodbye and left without one pic.

The way back was a mix of video distraction, rain, fading light, and a desire to get home. So no pics and no video but I am still posting this trip report to say sometimes don't go as planned but I still had a great time and met a couple nice guys and got to ride some dirt roads. Any day on the bike is better than a day not on the bike.
    B10Dave likes this.
  5. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where Is Blue Springs State Park?
    drklynoon likes this.
  6. drklynoon

drklynoon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fireman The park is really close to Madison Florida. I'ts not too far across the border.
  7. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Like you said. All rides don't necessarily go perfect but at least you were out riding. With Covid and the border closed I can't do my usual month of March in Florida so your and others ride reports will have to do me for this winter. Enjoy the riding and post any and all pics for those of us who can't be there.
    black 8 likes this.
  8. nutmagnet

nutmagnet Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you head up towards Savannah there are some good motorcycle races in Pooler and Roebling in the very early spring.
    ZigzagguzzI likes this.
  9. drklynoon

drklynoon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dave, I understand that. Not being able to get out of the house can get me all kinds of twitchy. I'll definitely be back to posting pictures and such here real soon. Thanks
    Nathan
    B10Dave likes this.
  10. drklynoon

drklynoon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nutmagnet, I will check that out. I am building a map of things to check out when I'm in areas on google map. I'm always up for adding new things to it. Thank you
    Nathan
  11. Fla_Dawg

Fla_Dawg Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If I'm not mistaken this park has a platform to jump/dive off of, roughly 30ft high or so. The spring then flows right into the Suwannee iirc. I jumped off if it once and that was it for me. Beautiful lil park, been 20 years give or take since I've been there.
    drklynoon likes this.
  12. drklynoon

drklynoon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I think they have stopped the jumping platform now. Litigation and all that. I couldn't see much of anything it was totally under the river when I was there. I will be back in a few weeks once the river has gone down and things have cleaned up so everyone can get a look. My understanding is that the cave diving there is first rate which seem a bit odd but I suppose limestone doesn't care is it makes caves in little ol' Madison Fl.
  13. drklynoon

drklynoon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Hey Hey ya'll, Thursday I was able to pry myself away, enjoy the weather and take Izzy Bird out for a ride. The plan was to head over to Waycross Georgia and grab lunch then see a few sites. Waycross is quite historical and I was excited to see all that I could. Well things kind of went to plan but I spent way too much time on logging roads playing around and didn't have enough time to visit all the sites I wanted to see. This just leaves room for another trip out there and that isn't a bad thing.

The trip got off to a strange start as the first dirt road I planned on taking turned out to have a gate blocking it. I had never run into a rever/ google map road that was private but it turns out that was the case. I decided to take another route and found an open entrance to the area I was trying to access. There were no signs to limit access so I went after it. This section ended up taking over three hours before I got out.

Izzy on the Logging Road 2.jpg
    This was the point of no return for this area of dirt roads. It happened to be that this road with the missing bridge was the only named county road in this whole area. Beautiful ride and I got into some mud fun and had an off (pictures for that later)

Izzy at roads end.jpg Hunting Club Road Bridge Out.jpg Izzy on Hunting Club Road.jpg

From here I got back on the tarmac and started to chew up a few miles until I saw this beautiful church. The Antioch Methodist Church here has service on the first and third Sundays of the month. There is no electricity nor running water. The church was established in 1844 and this building was built right around 1890. Many of the trees on the property were recently cut down which makes the site look more desolate than it usually looks. Still, it is a really beautiful church and somewhere I would like to visit for service soon.

Antioch Church Izzy.jpg

Next stop was a burger and bathroom break at the LL Creek Bar & Grill. The burger was terrific and the atmosphere was just perfect. I didn't get any pictures except a standard food pic. After leaving this restaurant I went to another one, or one that use to be. You see, Waycross was home to the Green Frog Diner. This might not ring a bell but it was started by a 19 year old Bill Darden opened the Green Frog in 1935. Later Darden would start The Olive Garden and Red Lobster Restaurants but this was his first dance. The building is hard to recognize but it is still the same building as the original Green Frog made a few changes to the building before closing in 1981.
    Green Frog Building Izzy.jpg Green Frog Post Card.jpg

To Be Continued...
  14. drklynoon

drklynoon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My next stop was a local museum called Southern Forest World. The museum is focused on the logging industry in and around Georgia. I showed up 30 minutes after they had closed but the curator was more than happy to turn the lights back on and show me around. I was very surprised at how in depth the exhibits were and how much information there was available.

Southern Forest World Selfie.jpg

Outside of the Building there were a few interesting exhibits including the logging train and "The Moon Tree"

Southern Forest Flyer and Izzy.jpg
    Moon Tree Plaque.jpg

Inside the museum there are dioramas of old mill towns as well as forestry harvesting/ planting practices. This one caught my eye and I was able to get an ok picture of it.

Southern Forest World Diorama.jpg

There is also a mural of some of the large influences to Georgia Forestry

Southern Forest World Mural.jpg

and of course, no forestry museum would be complete without its famous ambassador

Smokie Selfie.jpg

The real star of the show was found 27 feet in the air by a logger near Rome Georgia.

Mummy Dog Southern Forest World 2.jpg

Turns out he was 4 years old when he decided to go after a squirrel or racoon and he got stuck. The draft up through the tree and the chemicals in the tree mummified the poor doggo. The tree was harvested in the 40's when it was all done by hand. If this tree was taken in the mechanical age he never would have been found. Unfortunately, due to time constraints and weather I had to skedaddle back home after this museum. I'll have one more post from this trip showing my step by step process to having an off. Until then, I look forward to chatting with ya folks.
    B10Dave, Fla_Dawg and popscycle like this.