Learning one trip at a time in Southern Georgia

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by drklynoon, Oct 26, 2020.

1. drklynoon

drklynoon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CJS, I have a Halfrica Twin lol It's a CB500x and I love it. The weight is is manageable and in the right place. I have the RR kit with the spoked 19/17 wheels. It handles great and carries all my crap without complaint. The power is good, yeah I could use a bit more but it's not holding me back. I love that bike.
  2. gjl

gjl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you haven't visited the Georgia Rural Telephone Museum in Leslie, GA, you're in for a treat.
  3. drklynoon

Oddometer:
    Gil, It is absolutely on my list. I was close to it for one trip but it was closed. I am looking forward to it. I think their is a lunchbox museum relatively close by as well. My google map looks like a porcupine with all the pins in Georgia.
  4. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    drklynoon. You should join in on some of the Georgia Tag Games.
  5. drklynoon

Oddometer:
    Fireman, I am totally unfamiliar with that but I'm in. who what when where?
  6. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. drklynoon

Oddometer:
  8. drklynoon

Oddometer:
    I took a short camping trip this week to test out some gear. I stayed at a local campground and it was an experience. It was $25 which I still feel is robbery but its better than $35 for a park, or so I thought. On the way there I got to see a really cool patch of live oaks right next to a field. Once I got into the campground I noticed just how tight it was. These trailers are almost piled on top of one another. There was a small pond but that was really it for natural splendor. Well I set up my new tent, new sleeping pad, and everything else. Because I didn't feel like paying $5 for wood I decided against a camp fire. I got to shoot a review on my helmet and had a quick dehydrated meal for dinner. The rain didn't start until 0400 but that only woke me for a bit. The cacophony of diesel trucks is a great way to wake the soul when you are in a tent. They needed to get to work early and the rain had slowed so I supposed it was time to pack up and head home. It was a fun little trip and my new gear did great. I'm pretty confident that I have most of the equipment necessary for the S.E.A.T. this year. There will be a video of this trip on Wednesday but until then, here are some stills.
    Lower third Live oak.jpg
    Mid third right live oak.jpg
    Spanish moss.jpg
    Muscovey red Face.jpg
    Hangin at Camp.jpg
    Tent at Night.jpg
  9. drklynoon

Oddometer:
    I did a quick motovlog about why I switched from cruising to adventuring. This is partly inspired by Popscycle. I agree that cruiser face took me over and adventuring has opened up and made me love motorcycles all over again.

Fla_Dawg, B10Dave and popscycle like this.
  10. drklynoon

Oddometer:
    It rained most of the day. Finally around 2:00 it cleared up. I threw on my gear and headed out to film next weeks motovlog. I tried 4 times all attempts ended in failure. The last attempt actually shot video but it was all without audio. Worse still is I had a blast riding on the muddy dirt roads and wanted to share that. Oh and I broke my last helmet mount when I got home to check footage so I have to wait until Saturday to film when the new mount gets here. Still great day I got all kinds of muddy.
    Motocamping trip vid hits tomorrow morning @930

Izzy on a muddy day.jpg
    SwampyDeadHead, popscycle and B10Dave like this.
  11. drklynoon

Oddometer:
    Have you ever considered camping at an RV site? I don't recommend it but it will do in a pinch. In this video I am testing out my new tent, air mattress, and camp chair. I meet a duck and have some good fun.
    SwampyDeadHead and popscycle like this.
  12. Fla_Dawg

Fla_Dawg Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm guessing noise and being too "busy" are the biggest negatives with RV Park camping on a bike? I'm tentatively scheduling some camping here in Ocala National Forest before it gets too hot, but some of these primitive sights are literally in the middle of nowhere. There is a State Park close by that will work better with some basic amenities, but there are a few RVs there throughout the year.
    drklynoon likes this.
  13. drklynoon

Oddometer:
    Yeah it is noisy and the light and just knowing you are all jammed up with exposed sewage lines everywhere lol. It will work though. I like the primitive sites as long as I don't have to lug my crap up to em and leave my bike behind. State parks are just to durn expensive. I'm going to try to ghost camp at a FL forest here soon. Hopefully I don't get pinched.
    popscycle, B10Dave and Fla_Dawg like this.
  14. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Being the birthplace of the Bubba Burger and Waffle House, I don't understand why GA isn't more of a ride destination. :dukegirl
  15. Fla_Dawg

Fla_Dawg Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yea it makes sense from a noise and activity perspective. I came across some interesting characters 2 weeks ago when I rode thru parts of the Ocala National Forest, most of whom seem to be living off the grid. I didn't get the impression that Fish and Wildlife or Florida Park Rangers ventured out much into the primitive camping areas. If there are places open in the Osceola National Forest that would be a good place to start, and it isn't too far from Valdosta. Here's a thread from the Florida regional forum with current info on Osceola.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/need-some-help-with-osceola.1485471/#post-41788982
  16. drklynoon

Oddometer:
    There is a spot I scoped out in the Twin Rivers State Forest right on the Withlacoochee. I also ride out there and the rules are a bit vague about that. I don't horse around much so noone seems to care but I do think a ranger may feel different. Running across those people living in the woods can be a bit alarming. I have only done that once and the guy was really happy to see me and welcomed me into his chateau. He then proceeded to offer up some squirrel stew. I felt compelled to acquiesce and we had a big time. The moonshine quickly came out and that was the end of my ride for the day. I should go out this weekend but family stuff is on the docket and priorities is priorities so...
  17. drklynoon

Oddometer:
    I know right? lol I think up north Georgia is amazing riding. Down here is a bit flat and boring but if you like sand, which you do, boy do I have something to offer! I on the other hand find riding in sand a terrifying experience, one in which, can only be topped by hitting the start button on the bike and nothing happens when you are in the sticks. I am learning this sugar sand and I will master it but first....to the tire store!
  18. SwampyDeadHead

SwampyDeadHead Pitter patter lets get at’er Supporter

Oddometer:
    Elle2Konsai, Ginger Beard and B10Dave like this.
  19. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    :lol3

Yeah, I actually enjoy sand and dig southern GA, AL and FL riding. I also seriously love Bubba Burgers and Waffle House too!

Take your time and be patient with yourself while learning. It's all about body position and staying loose. If you're fighting the bike and the sand, they're going to win.
    Elle2Konsai and B10Dave like this.
  20. drklynoon

Oddometer:
    Thats what I have to keep telling myself. Loosen the hell up. I never was this tight on a dirt bike but somehow I have picked up a bad habit in sand of over controlling. In mud completely different. I yell POWER in my helmet and just give er hell and guide the bike with success. Translating that to sand has yet to happen. I also need tires. Shinko 705's are pretty turrible off road in an kind of "conditions"
    Elle2Konsai and Ginger Beard like this.