Learning to use a gps

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Scott T., Dec 12, 2002.

1. Scott T.

Scott T. widedog

Oddometer:
    Thinking of getting a gps unit. How hard are they to learn to use? Let me just say this upfront...I'm not a high-tech gadget kinda guy. Basically I'm a low-tech bozo. ( Although I did figure out how to store names and #s in my cell phone!) Are these things stonehead user friendly? I mean If I get one of these am I going to be overwhelmed with it or will it make my life easier? BTW, I'm thinking of either getting a streetpilot or an e-map. TIA, Scott:confused
  2. Chopperman

Chopperman I am dead

Oddometer:
    Dead nuts simple. at least with the base Etrex. And you might consider one to get you started without overloading you with features.
  3. sherpa

sherpa ...Robert

Oddometer:
    You know how to use a cell phone? shit, I haven't mastered that yet. I was given a Garmin V a few months ago...and it is not so difficult. I just started with the basics at first, like going out and trying to get lost , and then letting the GPS take me back home. I have just recently been using it to go out on routes that I put in on the home computer, and storing tracks of where I have gone. Take it one function at a time and you will have no problem, sit down with the manual and try to learn it all in one night... and you could get a little flummoxed.:loco
  4. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
  5. hutchman

hutchman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When you get ready to buy one, try:

http://gpsdiscount.com

I bought a Streetpilot III Deluxe when they first came out. This website was as cheap as anywhere and it was at my house in less than a week.

I used this on an Iron Butt ride for tracking and milage. The one thing I learned was when you think the GPS is wrong, it is right. When you know the GPS is wrong, it is still most likely right!